The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Equivalent to Swedish education??

Nordmann
post 2.Apr.2007, 07:01 PM
Post #1

I am a bit confused about the swedish equivalent educational system:
IF:
Grundkola = Primary School Education(Elementary)=Class 1-7=between ages 6-12 years old;

Högstadium´Secondary School Ed.,(High School)Class 8-12 =Between ages 12-16 years old

What exactly is Gymnasium? Between ages 16-18 (or older)

Is this a Upper Secondary Education--which is the Freshman year of College or sophomore year in college, am I correct? Or is it a Technical or Vocational Education.
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 2.Apr.2007, 08:03 PM
Post #2

It overlaps both high school and college. The gymnasium offers different programs depending on if you want to continue at university or not. At the university you start with your specialization right away...
+
Nordmann
post 2.Apr.2007, 08:40 PM
Post #3

--------
Thanks. If it is an overlap both high school & college, what kind of betyg will one give if the school wants a betyg for Gymnasieutbildning.
Would a college certificate suffice + grades included?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 2.Apr.2007, 09:53 PM
Post #4

You have to ask the school, but if it's not a an education that requires special knowledge like medicin, engineering etc, I think high school diploma will suffice...
+
*The Lix-a*
post 2.Apr.2007, 10:21 PM
Post #5

Confused me the last day too. I had to fill out a job application, my girlfriend was writing it out for me in swedish. She changed my school details to make it swedish freindly. Im like what the hell is that, i didnt do that, can we write it in english please. We got in an argument and she sais she dosent understand the british school system, it dosent make sense to her.
+
Puffin
post 3.Apr.2007, 07:17 AM
Post #6

Puffin to the rescue 8)

No really what does (and does not count) as your gymnasiet courses depends on exactly where you went to school. Some courses that I took when I was 14 are counted as Gymnasiet courses. Mostly it refers to courses that you took at the upper secondary level/High school diploma/A-level/IB. But - for example - it can include courses taken at other times to give a correct translation.

You can check this out by following this link to VHS (unfortunately their website is maily in Swedish :roll: )- and clicking on your country/qualification on the list on the right hand side (ie for the UK click on GCSE/GCE):
http://www.vhs.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=1013

If you are from the US in some subjects you must have AP or college courses to come up to the gymnasiet level (especially in pure sciences/languages etc)
+
Nordmann
post 3.Apr.2007, 10:27 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Bender)
You have to ask the school, but if it's not a an education that requires special knowledge like medicin, engineering etc, I think high school diploma will suffice...

Thanks for the information.
I will show the school the certificate+records/grades from my school.. I hope the school will find it satisfactory smile.gif

QUOTE (Puffin)
No really what does (and does not count) as your gymnasiet courses depends on exactly where you went to school. Some courses that I took when I was 14 are counted as Gymnasiet courses. Mostly it refers to courses that you took at the upper secondary level/High school diploma/A-level/IB. But - for example - it can include courses taken at other times to give a correct translation.

You can check this out by following this link to VHS (unfortunately their website is maily in Swedish )- and clicking on your country/qualification on the list on the right hand side (ie for the UK click on GCSE/GCE):
http://www.vhs.se/templates/Pa...

If you are from the US in some subjects you must have AP or college courses to come up to the gymnasiet level (especially in pure sciences/languages etc)

Thanks a lot for the link :wink: I have with me the college diploma + grades.
I hope they will NOT ask for certificates from primary education or lower 2ndary education---It is like bringing my whole school history--back to life, so to speak laugh.gif

Again Thanks for all the help: Puffin & Bender. Let us see, how it turns out:)
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: