The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
35 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »    Reply to this topic

My experience "trying" to move to Sweden

Please god, just end me now

cheeseburger
post 1.Jun.2018, 10:05 AM
Post #121

Thanks.
I have heard that the route of "having enough money" doesn't seem to work.
We have the contract of our appartment with both our names, but the electricity and water bills were on my name.
This could be enough?
Go to the top of the page
+
Gjeebes
post 2.Jun.2018, 07:12 AM
Post #122

I think you will find that being financially stable is not desired in Sweden. It gives you too much control over your own life and direction (at the expense of "nanny-state-knows-best").

Sure, it makes no sense, but "non-sense" is a Swedish tradition. You'd best get used to it.

For whatever bizarre reason, Löfven's bearded children, their extended families, and their remaining unemployed (forever), seems to be the primary focus (not concern, but focus) of Sweden.

If you are financially stable, and have a propensity for success, then you are really not a good fit for Sweden, and you will suffer for it.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 3.Jun.2018, 05:15 PM
Post #123

QUOTE (cheeseburger @ 31.May.2018, 07:17 PM) *
Hello to the forum.This is my first post, i don't know if i must post first in an introduction type thread, if that is the case, sorry.I have some concerns about moving to ... (show full quote)

Hi,

I am Spanish too!.

I have been in sweden for almost 3+ years now.

Finding a job in sweden without speaking swedish and without any formal education and no connections is almost impossible unless you lower your expectations to the lowest.
Yes they speak almost perfect English but the job market for 90% of the jobs are for swedes or people who speak swedish and even if you speak the language that doesn't mean they will give you a job in your area of expertise.

I am IT. My skills are related to systems admin and also .net programming in C# environment. I have the skills and knowledge to write windows apps with SQL databases and so on. I have been looking for IT jobs for 2 years and the only thing I could get eventually is a warehouse job. I have applied until I basically applied for everything

Here in sweden, swedes think that most of us don't have as good education as theirs. People tell me I must go back to school to get "proper education". It's all excuses.

In Spain we have lack of jobs but you will never hear such poor excuses there. In Spain it's simply we have 1 job for 100 people. In sweden there is a TON of jobs but 90% of them are given behind the scenes and not for us but waiting for a swede. Everything in sweden is about connections even more than in Spain. I even had to send recommendation letter to my previous landlord to find apartment... That gives you an idea how hard things are in this country.

Sweden is a nice country, very relaxed life, because they don't like to work too hard, a lot of fika breaks that you will never see in Spain so in reality people here don't work 8 hours maybe 7 or less... that is valid if you manage to find apartment and a job. This is not an easy country to live as a foreigner specially if you are a guy who likes standing out of the crowd or doesn't like to follow what the group says.If you are conformist and like doing what the swede says then you will be happy in sweden. If you are ambitious and show strong self initiative to become someone successful then the group will crash you, because swedes don't like foreigners who compete with them...

Also forget about the Spanish sense of humor or laughing, this is not Spain, the classic Spanish humor of making funny jokes and laughing spontaneously is not common in sweden, If you don't believe me come and see by yourself.
This is a cold, sense of humor and cold distant conversations.
Sweden is very closed compared to Spain. Maybe it works for you, come and see for yourself.

I warn you, I have met British and other people with education higher than mine, with masters degrees and such and they had to leave because they got no phone calls or interviews. I have met Spaniards who are also ITs and they work as hairdresser doing the nails to clients. So, if you don't have high job expectations, Sweden can work for you, but if you think you will have a fair chance in an amazing company and be able to compete with a swede in equal conditions... That's not going to happen, mainly because swedes think their education is superior than others.

Another subject is housing. Maybe it's not a problem for you if you girlfriend is swedish since she already had a first hand rental. People in sweden have two options. They buy an apartment or they queue for a first hand rental which it can take up to 5 years in many cases or never.

In the meanwhile people live in the so called second hand, that means short term rental (1 year or less in most cases). So if you can't buy then be ready to move every year or so to a new apartment because that's how things are until you have the money to buy or get that first hand rental.

In Spain you can find apartment by just looking through a website and you will get a long term contract that will renew every year... Sweden is different, second hand rentals are not what we see in Spain.

So, I know finding a job in Spain is difficult, But that's the only problem we have there. In sweden life is relaxed, because they don't like to work fast but it depends on whether you can secure housing and job which is far from easy.

Good luck!,
If you want to know more send me a private message.
+
Cheeseroller
post 4.Jun.2018, 05:50 AM
Post #124

There is another reason foreigners are excluded, you are perceived as a higher risk and the employers don't want to hire someone who can destabilise the team. It's the same reason that Swedes have a few friends from school and are not interested to develop new friendships.

Swedes are taught from an early age to be a team player, not to stand out and avoid conflict.

In schools, the class progresses at the speed of the most stupid. I forget now when kids first have examinations, but it is much later than in the UK - in an attempt to hide the stupid kids in the class and promote a cohesive team.

The brainwashing in schools is so powerful that they can take a foreign outgoing 7 year old and produce an 18 year old Swede - despite the influence of their parents. No surprise then that many of the children from Middle East countries who were born and re-programmed in Sweden, are 4x less likely to find work and are angry because they don't know which culture they stand in. This is presumably why Sweden per population, exported so many Islamic extremists to ISIS.

But I am impressed by your understanding after only 3 years. It took me a lot longer, probably because I had my own business and focused on exporting.

You are absolutely correct " If you are ambitious and show strong self initiative to become someone successful then the group will crash you, because swedes don't like foreigners who compete with them..." - this realisation was one main factor why we left Sweden.

The other main reason was quality of life. There is little emotion, spontaneity or joy in Sweden. It has all the charm and character of a dentists waiting room.

Although it probably was not an option, you would do better in Germany. The small and middle sized companies are crying for employees with IT skills and that can mean the language is less of a problem. Germans are also terrified of being seen as racist - so tend to go out of their way to be fair. Apartments are much more available and cheaper.

As I have said before here, nothing underlines the "them and us" attitude Swedes have to foreigners than the annual Expressen or Aftondagbladet "rich list" articles of top income tax payers. Next time these are published, try to find one foreign name.
+
GamlaSkogHisingHope
post 6.Jun.2018, 09:16 AM
Post #125

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 2.Jun.2018, 07:12 AM) *
I think you will find that being financially stable is not desired in Sweden. It gives you too much control over your own life and direction (at the expense of "nanny-st ... (show full quote)

This is correct. Paradoxically, having largely eradicated poverty during the 20th century, Swedish governments have become increasingly opposed to this as it allowed individuals to exercise free-will, conflicting with the national inbred desire for command and control. This has led to mass immigration to import an underclass who could fulfil the economic and emotional needs of Swedes to a) have a group of the labour market undertaking menial work and cool.gif provides a group of people to be patronised by the state as a 'social good'.

The Swedish state has, until now, created an economy based on household income being largely subsistence levels only. This means that assets or wealth is never truly acquired; people don't accumulate savings, they have 40 year mortgages which are never re-deemed, assets generally do not pass from generation to generation. This is remarkable given what we are told about 'happiness' and 'well-being' of the population at large. Of course, every bubble has to burst eventually.
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 6.Jun.2018, 10:43 AM
Post #126

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 3.Jun.2018, 06:15 PM) *
Hi,I am Spanish too!.I have been in sweden for almost 3+ years now. Finding a job in sweden without speaking swedish and without any formal education and no connections is ... (show full quote)

Funny to hear that, because as a native swede I feel the same thing. Except that every job in IT is given to indians, pakistanis and bangladeshis.
+
GamlaSkogHisingHope
post 6.Jun.2018, 10:56 AM
Post #127

QUOTE (nativeswedishengineer @ 6.Jun.2018, 10:43 AM) *
Funny to hear that, because as a native swede I feel the same thing. Except that every job in IT is given to indians, pakistanis and bangladeshis.

Because they are expendable. At the end of their assignment, project etc, they (employees from the Indian sub-continent) can be easily and cheaply deported through a number of means. If you employ a Swede, you are employing them for life.
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 6.Jun.2018, 11:01 AM
Post #128

QUOTE (GamlaSkogHisingHope @ 6.Jun.2018, 11:56 AM) *
Because they are expendable. At the end of their assignment, project etc, they (employees from the Indian sub-continent) can be easily and cheaply deported through a number of ... (show full quote)

I thought it was because a european or a native could just walk away without losing anything if work conditions got too horrible.
+
Cheeseroller
post 6.Jun.2018, 08:06 PM
Post #129

QUOTE (nativeswedishengineer @ 6.Jun.2018, 11:43 AM) *

1.5M engineers graduate every year in India. Thousands apply for each post at university. This means that these are the absolute cream - and why they are eagerly sought after by the US (at least until Trump).

Given the choice, I would rather hire an Indian engineer or a Chinese engineer, because these people are hungry, in a way that the average pandered-by-state Swede cannot appreciate.

Of course in Sweden where excellence has no value, they are 3rd world engineers who are disposable. But given the way the cards are stacked, it is amazing that you can't find a good job being a native and all that. Maybe you are such a jerk that you are unemployable?

I hope that isn't the case, as everyone deserves a shot. But as an impartial observer, yet someone has met a wide spectrum of people, you do not come across as someone I would hire. Too bitter, too arrogant. It's time for some introspection friend - we all make mistakes, but is abject stupidity to keep repeating them
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 6.Jun.2018, 08:55 PM
Post #130

QUOTE (Cheeseroller @ 6.Jun.2018, 09:06 PM) *
1.5M engineers graduate every year in India. Thousands apply for each post at university. This means that these are the absolute cream - and why they are eagerly sought after ... (show full quote)

Yes we have all heard about how superior indian and chinese engineering is, odd then how they have to copy and steal from the rest of the world instead of using their superior capabilities to innovate on their own.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 7.Jun.2018, 07:09 AM
Post #131

QUOTE (nativeswedishengineer @ 6.Jun.2018, 09:55 PM) *
Yes we have all hear About how superior indian and chinese engineering is, odd then how they have to copy and steal from the rest of the world instead of using their superior ... (show full quote)

Who is stealing what now?

You are aware that China is, or is on their way to becoming the strongest superpower in the world? They, as a country, are incredibly innovative. Hell, don't they own Sweden's precious Volvo? They didn't steal that, they bought it because Sweden drove that company into the ground, no pun intended. You, as a swede should be thankful that they left factories to keep your people employed. To keep various peoples in Sweden employed.

Damn, you are a dumb, arrogant, piece of lutefisk
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 7.Jun.2018, 09:58 AM
Post #132

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 7.Jun.2018, 08:09 AM) *
Who is stealing what now?You are aware that China is, or is on their way to becoming the strongest superpower in the world? They, as a country, are incredibly innovative. Hell ... (show full quote)

volvo personbilar hasn't been swedish since 1999. Blame the incompetent management at ford for running it into the ground. And where is all this chinese innovation?
+
cheeseburger
post 7.Jun.2018, 10:56 AM
Post #133

Hello again.
Does the people on this thread think that going to UK would it be more sensible and "easier"??
Thank you for your help by the way!!
By the way, i am not the more social Spaniard but all the times i have visited Stockholm i was a little shocked about how closed/shy or antisocial or whatever you want to call it are the people, i have not met this "problem" in other European countries when i was there.
I am aware that comparing with a italian or a spanish, a british seems shy, but the sweden are more than that.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.Jun.2018, 11:52 AM
Post #134

And that means???
+
SmokerT69
post 7.Jun.2018, 01:42 PM
Post #135

Also forget about the Spanish sense of humor or laughing, this is not Spain, the classic Spanish humor of making funny jokes and laughing spontaneously is not common in sweden, If you don't believe me come and see by yourself.
This is a cold, sense of humor and cold distant conversations.

Holy shit, I can not agree more. I didnt notice how bad it was because I tend to hang out with my wife's family and we all joke around and talk nonsense. I actually got thrown out of a sabaton concert my brother in law took me too because he told me a joke in the lobby and I started laughing. The security came over to us immediately and told us we had to leave because we were "too drunk". We had not even had a beer. I honestly couldn't understand it and even asked the security to breathalyse me to prove I wasn't drunk. Didn't matter, we were forced to leave for laughing. My brother in law explained it to me that all Swedes are miserable and if they see someone having fun, they obviously think something is wrong.
+

35 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: