Printable Version of Topic

Click here to view this topic in its original format

The Local _ Studying _ Studying in Sweden with work permit

Posted by: sillyrabbit 25.May.2018, 02:54 PM

Hello, I have spent the afternoon looking for this information including waiting for 2 hours on the phone with Migrationskervet and I still don't have a clear answer.

I have come to Sweden and given a work permit to work here. I will be working full-time for this company. I have both the work permit card and the Identitetskort with personnummer. Is this considered a temporary resident permit or a permanent one, or...?

Am I eligible to study and do not need to pay tuition for
1) a Master's program (part time) with a school in Sweden? (ie. Gothenburg's EMBA)
2) any courses I want to take with a school / institution in Sweden? (for example, evening courses learning French at Folkuniversitet or at Berlitz)

If I was a Swedish national or an EU citizen, I wouldn't have to pay for tuition for both points 1 and 2, correct?

So, does having a work permit and a Identitetskort with personnummer mean I have the same right to education and not need to pay tuition as a Swedish national / EU citizen?

Thank you in advance!

Posted by: dks 25.May.2018, 09:32 PM

According to the tuition fee exceptions you fall into this category:

"You have been granted a temporary Swedish residence permit for reasons other than studies"

You should contact the university you are interested in and tell them you already have a temporary residence permit through the job. Dont bother with migrationsverket.

Posted by: sillyrabbit 27.May.2018, 08:01 PM

Wow, ok, so curious where you got that information from... Clearly I am not good at searching online! wink.gif

Posted by: Case officer 27.May.2018, 11:47 PM

QUOTE (sillyrabbit @ 27.May.2018, 09:01 PM) *
Wow, ok, so curious where you got that information from...

Posted by: shamdi 3.Jul.2018, 07:18 AM

Hi all ,
I have a residence card and im a doing a full time job. So as per the about information im eligible to study for free. Is it same for my spouse as well ? my wife has a residence card but she is not working. Is she eligible to study free ?

Posted by: zonbin 11.Jan.2019, 05:12 PM

Thank you so much

Powered by Invision Power Board (
© Invision Power Services (