The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Your Swedish Accent

Does yours change as much as mine?

John.Smith
post 7.Mar.2012, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Spent a little time around Dalarna recently. When I came back up North I was told that I had picked up some of the gnällbält dialect. Same thing happens when i visit Stockholm and G'burg.

Anyone else find the same with their accent? just curious.
Go to the top of the page
+
BritVik
post 7.Mar.2012, 12:50 PM
Post #2

You can get affected, especially of you spend three of four weeks in an area.
One time I landed back in Stockholm after a longish holiday in Finland, and in a store there, after the initial contact, I was totally ignored for a while - the way they treated Finns way back then. So I went over to 'High faluting English' and eventually got attention.
Nowadays my Swedish seems to be more and more Anglicised and less and less Bohuslänsk. Can't think why.
+
John.Smith
post 7.Mar.2012, 12:54 PM
Post #3

I have also found that my Queen's English is a little affected and have caught myself more than once saying things like 'sheese' instead of 'cheese'.

sad.gif
+
Streja
post 7.Mar.2012, 01:18 PM
Post #4

John Smith, that only proves that you are excellent at Swedish. Congrats! smile.gif
+
Fishtank
post 7.Mar.2012, 01:23 PM
Post #5

Faltering can termed as my accent type... Still folks at work seems to comprehend everything I say.
Jävla invandrare svenska!!
+
John.Smith
post 7.Mar.2012, 02:12 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Streja @ 7.Mar.2012, 01:18 PM) *
John Smith, that only proves that you are excellent at Swedish. Congrats! smile.gif

Hi Streja,
Thanks but far from it in fact ... 'reasonable' perhaps but not excellent.

I am not fluent but have the ability to converse relatively easily. I do need to work on expanding my vocabulary but my pronunciation does however get the occasional compliment and/or slagging if I say something that isn't Norrlandsk smile.gif

Still cannot fathom Skånska though. It reminds me of how friends of mine from Belfast city speak in terms of finding an english language accent equivalent.
+
BritVik
post 7.Mar.2012, 02:36 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 7.Mar.2012, 12:54 PM) *
I have also found that my Queen's English is a little affected and have caught myself more than once saying things like 'sheese' instead of 'cheese'. . sad.gif

QUOTE (Streja @ 7.Mar.2012, 01:18 PM) *

But shouldn't that be 'ost', or am I missing something here?? huh.gif
+
John.Smith
post 7.Mar.2012, 02:43 PM
Post #8

Nope, I mean that I sometimes pronounce the occasional English word like a Swede. The above dairy related instance happened whilst offering a plate of blue vein to an English mate of mine.
+
ChocOwl
post 7.Mar.2012, 03:16 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 7.Mar.2012, 12:30 PM) *
Spent a little time around Dalarna recently. When I came back up North I was told that I had picked up some of the gnällbält dialect.

Usually the gnällbält is regarded as consisting of Västmanland/Närke/Sörmland, so Dalarna is a safe distance away from there! Of course, you could have picked up some of the Dalarna dialect(s).
My experience is that is is hard for many Swedes to pick dialects that aren't "pure". This is just based on my personal experience. Most people can't guess where I am from, they can just hear that I'm from somewhere else. Some can hear that my first language is English and some can't. When I lived in Dalarna, different people guessed that I was from Uppland, Gotland or Österbotten. I worked one summer in Bohuslän and they thought I had a lovely Dalarna dialect until I said I was from Australia, then they were just confused.
I also notice that I adopt a lot of the local intonation especially if it is pronounced. I have caught myself doing that a lot, I especially remember another summer job in Western Värmland a few years back- the first week I hardly understood what anyone said, then after that I started to sound like them.
I find dialects great fun!
+
BritVik
post 7.Mar.2012, 05:57 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (ChocOwl @ 7.Mar.2012, 03:16 PM) *
I find dialects great fun!

Indeed, where would we be without them ? ?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: