The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Skilled Tradesman Immigrating to Sweden

Do I need an employment offer before arriving??

Okie
post 9.Oct.2017, 01:45 AM
Post #1

Hello all, I'm wanting to immigrate from the US to Sweden. I'm a Skilled Tradesman ( Refrigeration, Air conditioning and Heating). I have read posts, and stories about individuals that show up to Sweden and then interview and get employment+work permit, but the immigration website states I shouldn't do this and I need to have an employment contract\offer before applying for work permit. I'm a little confused on what I should do.

Also, can anyone recommend employment agencies, unions, or employers? I saw that my skill set is in high demand according to immigration website.

~J
Go to the top of the page
+
flaneur
post 9.Oct.2017, 07:31 AM
Post #2

Hi Okie,

Unfortunately you can't obtain a work permit the way you described it.
You'd need to get a job offer first and then your employer would need to start the application process. Read about it here:

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...w-to-apply.html

Also, you would have to remain in the US until your work permit gets approved, which would normally take up to three months.

You can look for a job here:

https://www.arbetsformedlingen.se/Tjanster/...de/Platsbanken/

Unfortunately I have no clue which union represents your occupation.
Try finding it out here:

https://www.unionen.se/

Good luck!
+
Bsmith
post 9.Oct.2017, 11:49 AM
Post #3

It may require some additional schooling to familiarize yourself with the different systems in Sweden.
+
Svedallas
post 9.Oct.2017, 06:40 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 9.Oct.2017, 12:49 PM) *
It may require some additional schooling to familiarize yourself with the different systems in Sweden.

Well, there is some sort of general certification process for tradesmen/craftsmen that is taken only in Swedish. I know when I have used certain companies, they may not mention the certification, but it is good to know that they are qualified and have that stamp of approval.

Most jobs in Sweden do require some sort of certification.
+
Bsmith
post 9.Oct.2017, 07:12 PM
Post #5

Well, there is the obvious difference in electrical power and, in Sweden, there are some heating systems such as vedpannas which are not typically found in the US. If you have to take a test to obtain a Swedish driver's license despite how many years you have driven, I imagine that obtaining a certificate to practice a trade in Sweden would be no different.
+
Svedallas
post 9.Oct.2017, 08:03 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 9.Oct.2017, 08:12 PM) *
Well, there is the obvious difference in electrical power and, in Sweden, there are some heating systems such as vedpannas which are not typically found in the US. If you hav ... (show full quote)

That is true, it does not matter how many years experience you have or where you previously received the qualification. Sweden expects, Swedish government certification.

I know one case of Doctor who received his MD degree from Eastern Europe, and was practicing. But after moving to Sweden with his Swedish wife, they found out his qualifications were invalid. So he was forced to do his medical degree all over again, and mind you, that set him back at least 6/7 years for a qualification he already had.

Unless you are extremely wealthy, have family in Sweden that will support you, I would not move...see other posts.
+
Okie
post 10.Oct.2017, 12:38 AM
Post #7

I figured there were certificates to get. Hoping all the tests would be offered in English. Well, darn...
+
flaneur
post 10.Oct.2017, 09:41 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Okie @ 10.Oct.2017, 01:38 AM) *
in English.

laugh.gif
+
axiom
post 10.Oct.2017, 09:49 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Okie @ 9.Oct.2017, 11:38 PM) *
I figured there were certificates to get. Hoping all the tests would be offered in English. Well, darn...

Well in the USA I couldn't expect them to be offered in Swedish.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: