The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Difficulties in Learning Swedish

*Norge*
post 24.Jan.2006, 06:28 PM
Post #16

I want to say thanks for the replies youve been very helpful smile.gif

aaron i was going to try icelandic but bloody hell :shock: arent there like 15 ways of saying house lol smile.gif

thanks again to everyone whos replied
Go to the top of the page
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 24.Jan.2006, 06:30 PM
Post #17

One can also start at the other end and ask what swedes find hard about english, the o sound can be a trouble, like someone mentioned in another thread it usually sounds as if we're saying jew instead of you.

Here's a sentence that is a perfect example of what I as a swede have issues with:
I just might get some sleep tonight.

I can never figure out whether I should put just or might first. Because both of it sounds right to me.
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 06:32 PM
Post #18

There are no rules I have been looking for one for ages but thanks for the tip anyway I will attempt it and see if it works

I just say the o sound like an english u because o seems be used more often that way

norrbotten is also an example with the two differnt o sounds if I am not mistaken

What is really funny are the english words like gäng which is spoken like yang and listen real closely how they say george bush on the radio!!!
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 24.Jan.2006, 06:33 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Desdichado)
Here's a sentence that is a perfect example of what I as a swede have issues with:
I just might get some sleep tonight.

I can never figure out whether I should put just or might first. Because both of it sounds right to me.

Either is correct!
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 24.Jan.2006, 06:37 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Aaron_in_berlin)
norrbotten is also an example with the two differnt o sounds if I am not mistaken

Actually they're the same on norrbotten, like our swedish teacher used to say: Two horses are pulling the vowel, then it's a faster sound in general. The reason why norrbotten may sound different is because, it's said in like two words (fast), norr and botten, since the 2nd one is longer it may seem a bit different, but it shouldn't be as far as I know at least.
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 06:39 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Markbase)
Aaron, you just confused me even more...Phonetically, the Brits & Canadians say things differently...I never think "eat" when I think Ö...

My Canadian brain says the "oo" sound in "took", and my British brain has the "er" sound as in, umm...well, anything ending in "er"!!

Maybe that's just me though. After 3½ years, no one's corrected me & all seem to understand, so I guess it's not far off...Or perhaps my accent's too mixed up & freaky in English, so that I'm confusing myself. Don't know.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

sorry lingustics is my minor in berlin

try this you shift a in into i real loud AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIII

now do this but with the english o:

OOOOOOOOOOÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

(is easier said than written)

Like I say this will not cause misunderstandings anyway with these vowels
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 24.Jan.2006, 06:39 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
Either is correct!

Oh, that explains my confusion earlier, because I couldn't figure out what the rule was laugh.gif
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 06:43 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Desdichado)
Actually they're the same on norrbotten, like our swedish teacher used to say: Two horses are pulling the vowel, then it's a faster sound in general. The reason why norrbotten may sound different is because, it's said in like two words (fast), norr and botten, since the 2nd one is longer it may seem a bit different, but it shouldn't be as far as I know at least.

no its not long and short, it is english o or english u but I see looking this up on lexin that it the same vowel sound

will never ever get this o letter figured out :cry: :cry:
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 06:44 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
Either is correct!

Actually it is what you wish to stress more might or just, but as vikhumpwitch says they are both correct
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: