Printable Version of Topic

Click here to view this topic in its original format

The Local _ Newcomers _ Medical situation while waiting on personnummer

Posted by: gruenberg 1.Nov.2017, 08:31 AM

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I am extremely worried right now so I hope someone can answer my question.
My TUT was approved and I moved to Sweden recently to be with my girlfriend. I visited the Migrationboard on the first available appointment and received my UT-card just a week later. The very next business day I visited Skatteverket and applied for a personnummer, but they said it could take 4-8 weeks to receive that.
Now yesterday something happened to my knee where I have previously had a surgery. It just snapped and it hurts really bad. I really need to see an orthopedic doctor for an MRI and I need to hear from others what the policies generally are for others in my situation when it comes to Swedish health care and not having received my personnummer yet? Will they see me anyway? Will I be charged the same as if I had the personnummer, given the fact everything has been approved (UT-card etc) but just waiting on the actual number? I don't have any health insurance from my home country (I know, really stupid, but I can't do anything about that now).
Please, anyone with any suggestions or experiences let me know, my knee is killing me and after calling 1177 "Vardguiden" they told me I should not visit the ER but rather try to get an appointment at a health department and then referred to a specialist. I called a couple health departments but they wouldn't even schedule any appointment for me because I don't have the personnummer yet, I just have to wait for it they said. I have no idea what I should do now, I'm scared to even walk on the knee, it's hurting and really swollen. :-(

Posted by: TLSucks 1.Nov.2017, 08:42 AM

If you have the number or not doesn't matter, it is only your residency status that matters. Since you have a permit you will not pay extra. Find a clinic with "drop in" hours and just show up, or go to the ER. Remind them that they are bound by law to accept you even if you don't have a PN.

Posted by: axiom 1.Nov.2017, 05:31 PM

Posted by: gruenberg 2.Nov.2017, 07:50 AM

Thanks for your replies!
Well, this is what happened. I called a very reputable (according to my girlfriend) clinic in Stockholm with "V?rdavtal". They happened to have a slot for me in the afternoon. They did say on the phone the visit would cost 350 kr. Once I got there however, it turned out to cost 1350 kr plus an extra 150 kr for a cortisone treatment. I asked why it was more than what they said on the phone, and they told me it would have costed 350 kr if I had a personal number.
I did call Skatteverket earlier that day and asked if I could get some sort of temporary personnummer or any kind of certificate from them that I could bring to the hospital in order to pay the same price that I would with a personnummer, but they said no. They did however say that once I had a personnummer, I would be able to get a refund for the excessive payment, if I had the reciepts and the date would show the doctor visit took place after I became a resident. Anyone ever tried to do this and know the exact procedure?
Anyway, the main thing was I got to see a doctor that was very professional and was able to help me. But of course if I was able to get some of the 1500 kr back, it would be great. :-)

Posted by: RAFS 3.Nov.2017, 12:44 PM

Thanks for posting the update - this is very useful to know.

Posted by: sterex 26.Jun.2018, 10:13 AM

QUOTE (gruenberg @ 2.Nov.2017, 12:20 PM) *
Anyway, the main thing was I got to see a doctor that was very professional and was able to help me. But of course if I was able to get some of the 1500 kr back, it would be great. :-)

Hi - Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you receive the refund? I will be in a similar situation in a couple of months.

Posted by: SmokerT69 1.Dec.2018, 07:17 PM

I kinda curious as well... I messed my foot up recently, hurts to walk on. I've injured it before in the army, broke my ankle and tore the ligaments. I still don't have a residence permit/personnummer, but I do have my coordination number which I pay 34% taxes on lol. Am I entitled to any healthcare? Or should I just wait until I visit bermuda again to get it checked.

Powered by Invision Power Board (
© Invision Power Services (