The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Smartphone VOIP to Landlines

WHat have you tried?

Savage
post 15.Apr.2016, 10:02 AM
Post #1

I am looking to find a cheaper alternative for phone calls via smartphone to landline.

Have tried the usual apps before such as Skype and Viber, but would like to find a service that is a good quality in terms of call sound.

So does anyone here have any recent comments regarding call quality from 4G Smartphone to Landlines?
As I don't want to purchase credit for one of these apps and then find out its like talking to someone deep inside Tora Bora.

Obviously Google Hangouts seem to have the cheapest options for landline and mobile phone charges.
But I haven't been able to hear the quality of such calls, and would need to spend at least 100:- to try it out.
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 16.Apr.2016, 07:10 PM
Post #2

I use oovoo. Very good quality
+
Savage
post 18.Apr.2016, 04:22 PM
Post #3

Cheers.

I haven't tried oovoo yet as i haven't bought any credit but it looks ok.
The charges are a somewhat more than google from what I can see, but I am going to give it a try.

I did commit and give the Google hangout a try and used it to call a a landline via 4g. And while there were a couple of spotty parts, it was generally better than Skype mobile.

I would give google 7.2 / 10 for call quality from a mobile data (4G) to a land line.
I am basing the comparison of a normal mobile call to a landline.
+
Mo
post 18.Apr.2016, 04:25 PM
Post #4

You could look at Rebtel too, good prices and very good call quality
+
gse1986
post 21.Apr.2016, 09:19 AM
Post #5

over wifi at least google hangouts is fine - we use it for ringing abroad and haven't had any issues. I've not tried it over mobile data - though i would imagine if you had 4G then it should be fine
+
advolex
post 15.May.2016, 09:39 AM
Post #6

Based on my experience over the years I can say that it's not so much a question of the specific service (Skype and Google Hangouts have been mentionned) whether you will get good sound quality. It's more a question of which cell phone carrier you're using the service with. WiFi is almost always better, but also WiFi is sometimes restricted when it comes to VoIP.. In these latter cases I find that Skype often can perform where others don't.

Neither do I think that 4G/LTE is a guarantee for dropout free voice communications. A strong 3G signal will provide ample bandwitdth for every wideband codec, and a weak 4G signal won't improve things at all. The problem with cell phone carriers' data connection for VoIP is that the carriers deliberately restrict them. But if you can find a carrier that endorses VoiP (I could only mention one such provider, in Portugal), you should be good to go with any such service. It's tedious to circumvent these restrictions.
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: