The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 23.Oct.2006, 11:55 PM
Post #1

Can anybody please tell me why CSN is so far behind the times? Having to repay student loans from abroad is a real hassle, especially when they keep sending me papers about bankgiro and postgiro and that doesn't fly in the States. International wire transfers are also confusing because my local banks don't deal with IBAN numbers or SWIFT very often. Why doesn't CSN accept credit or debit cards like MasterCard or VISA? I think they would get more people paying up from abroad if they had easier ways of paying off their student loans.
Go to the top of the page
+
FR
post 23.Oct.2006, 11:59 PM
Post #2

Are you in the US sending money out? Have you tried one of the Mexican/Indian/African stores that sells phone cards? Quite often they have cheap wire services and you won't have to deal with the local banks (and, therefore, they'll be used to dealing with such transactions). Sweden may confuse them though, but it's perhaps worth a try.
+
post 24.Oct.2006, 12:42 AM
Post #3

I'll give that a try the next time I'm in Chicago. Not many of those stores downstate. Thanks!
+
post 24.Oct.2006, 08:04 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Shark99)
Can anybody please tell me why CSN is so far behind the times? Having to repay student loans from abroad is a real hassle, especially when they keep sending me papers about bankgiro and postgiro and that doesn't fly in the States. International wire transfers are also confusing because my local banks don't deal with IBAN numbers or SWIFT very often. Why doesn't CSN accept credit or debit cards like MasterCard or VISA? I think they would get more people paying up from abroad if they had easier ways of paying off their student loans.

i had to giggle when i read this. CSN behind the times? perhapst the appropriate question is why is US banking dawdling in the 20th century.

why is it so hard to use internet banking in the US? why are international payment schemes so unavailable through american banks. why doesn't an american bank deal with IBAN or SWIFT? these are long-standing standards in international banking used between banks for transfers in all securities transactions.

american banking can be compared to the pony express.

i can imagine CSN doesn't accept credit card payments because there would be a percentage fee taken. also, i can imagine CSNs responsibilities lie with making student financing available for studying. if you then work abroad it's really not their problem, no is it :wink:

--really, i do sympathize, but i am still chuckling when thinking about which institutions need to keep up with the times --oh and check writing, that's a GREAT system, why can't sweden reintroduce checks-- laugh.gif laugh.gif
+
post 24.Oct.2006, 01:35 PM
Post #5

Sadly you are right 007, until the US can dominate the banking world again, we will be behind the rest of the world hahaha.
+
post 24.Oct.2006, 02:47 PM
Post #6

and yet funnily enough, you can't conveniently pay your student loans via your bank:?

go figure.

american banks are very capable of IBAN and SWIFT etc. they just don't offer it to the lowlifes i.e. their small customers. i regularly conduct banking with american banks via my swedish bank via the internet with IBAN.

no problemo 8)
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 24.Oct.2006, 03:11 PM
Post #7

I am gonna miss my SEB access...but...the access at my US bank has been getting better... :twisted:
+
FR
post 24.Oct.2006, 04:23 PM
Post #8

I had to deal with a US bank to transfer money to some place in New Mexico (I've forgotten the details). She remarked that she couldn't handle such transactions and it would have to go through their international department. This after I clarified NEW Mexico for her.
+
post 24.Oct.2006, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Sadly I am a lowlife with little cash, and if I had been a corporation or a person with money no doubt they'd have found a way to transfer my money. hehehe
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: