The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Teacher training in Sweden (English language)

Where do I start?

post 23.Sep.2017, 09:49 PM
Post #1
Joined: 23.Sep.2017


Brit here, been living in Sweden for 7 years. Currently employed by the local Kommun, desperately looking for a change and am seriously thinking about studying to become an English teacher. I'm thinking up to Gymnasium level. No previous experience in teaching however English is my first language. I left school in Britain with only my GSCE's so I guess my first question is, would I be able to begin studying given that I haven't completed the equivalent to Gymnasium level here in Sweden? My next question is, where do I start? I'm going to contact a SIV in Umeå university on Monday to discuss my options, but thought I'd throw it out on here first. Next step is to contact the local schools and see if I can sit in on some lectures to see what a teacher's day looks like and how their lessons are structured. I've been on the Skolverket website, and didn't really get very far in regards to the finding the curriculum here in Sweden (amongst other things!). I live in a very small town where, from what I can gather, the standard of English doesn't seem to be very high. I'm by no means saying that my English is perfect, but keeping in mind that I have predominantly been speaking Swedish and Swedish only for past 6 years, I feel I still would have the advantage here in Sweden and possibly quite a lot to offer. Anyway, I'm rambling!

Any advice, replies are greatly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
post 24.Sep.2017, 08:24 AM
Post #2
Joined: 24.Sep.2017

QUOTE (suziecreamcheese @ 23.Sep.2017, 10:49 PM) *
Hi,Brit here, been living in Sweden for 7 years. Currently employed by the local Kommun, desperately looking for a change and am seriously thinking about studying to become a ... (show full quote)

You will first have to take the courses needed to complete Gymnasium level (sometimes there is a work around if you talk with the University..but regardless you will have to take courses to get into the Univeristy...usually they consist of Swedish, English (Yes I know it is your mother tongue but that doesn't guarentee that you meet the required Swedish entry level. You can take just the test at komvux by paying a fee) and Social Studies...depends on the school entry requirements. Just talk first with the University. That is your first step. You will have practial training during University where you will be working in schools, but you could always try substituting. I doubt if they will let you walk in and observe a typical day..actually I would be surprised (tystnadsplikt and police register is usually involved before anyone is let in).

The majority of your diploma will be done in Swedish as there is no complete teaching diploma in English so make sure your Swedish is at University level.

Here is a link to Umeå University's teaching program. As you want to be an English teacher, you would be a specialised subject teacher (Ämneslärare).

It is a 330 point diploma so 5.5 years fulltime.

In Sweden we follow the Laroplan and, at higher levels, individual subject curriculum.
Here is a link the the high school level:

You can take TEFL (teaching english as a foreign language) to learn what to expect when teaching english but TEFL certification does not equal a teaching job in Sweden. Only Skolverket certification = teaching certification. You get that by getting a diploma through a Swedish University (or getting an add on to a foreign universities certificate).
Go to the top of the page
post 24.Sep.2017, 12:25 PM
Post #3
Joined: 12.Aug.2005

Since you haven't completed the GCSE, you will probably have one hell of a long uphill slog to reach the right level to teach English. Mind you, substitute teachers are often hired out of desperation, so that might be a way in.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve with your teaching degree. If what you want is job security and to be part of a system, then by all means, go for the official qualification. If, on the other hand, you just want to make some money, just go for a TEFL certification and start selling one-to-one or group tutorage. You can do that face-to-face, or you can do it over social networks.

Good luck.
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Oct.2017, 03:00 PM
Post #4
Joined: 3.Jul.2017

You'd have to pass Swedish to study at the university (google TISUS) and then finish all the requiring courses, which usually takes 4+ years. You would also need a diploma showing that you've finished high school that matches the Swedish system, this usually means that you might have to (re)take one or multiple high school courses at the komvux level here.

If you have a university diploma in a relevant field, then there are shorter courses (~1.5 years) that lead to a teacher legitimation.

That's about it. I'm going down that way right now but I also have a previous education, and I honestly don't recommend it unless you detest having a desk job.

Depending on where you live, I'd recommend finding a studievägledare at the nearest big university that offers such courses, and discussing the matter with them.
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: