The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Spouse visa application for Work Permit

Effective way to find a job in Stockholm

From India
post 4.Oct.2016, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Hello All -

I am travelling with my spouse's work permit as a dependent and my decision letter says i can work in Stockholm. My spouse & I have been issued the residence permit until July 2017 with a good chance of extension. Here are my questions, please do help.

1. Having understood that i can work here, what is the effective source/ site to find a job in Stockholm. I am a Project Manager with over 7 years of experience and no Swedish language yet.
2. Having my spouse's VISA valid only till July 2017, if i find a job before that, would my employer approve for my work permit independently?
3. Can I apply for work & attend interviews before I arrive at Stockholm? If yes, what is the reliable source? We are scheduled to travel early Nov 2016.
4. Any other leads related to the above points would really help.

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page
+
hatim
post 6.Oct.2016, 06:21 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (From India @ 4.Oct.2016, 02:02 PM) *
1. Having understood that i can work here, what is the effective source/ site to find a job in Stockholm. I am a Project Manager with over 7 years of experience and no Swedish ... (show full quote)

Please don't post this in the new section: you could have asked this in the themes/jobs or visa section

Admins: Can any one move this thread:

1. There are many companies who focus on hiring the person who has good English skills. You can try to find jobs at http://se.indeed.com/ to begin with. You will have to learn Swedish culture to be able to function well in any job (but that will only come by working here)

2. Should not be a problem for you to start working on spouse visa. A friend of mine from India has done the same (not applying for his own work permit). You could also apply for your own work permit as well once you are here but I am suspecting you may have to go back to home country for that though. Better ask MV directly.

3. You can apply for work and attend interviews at any time I believe. I am not sure what source you are asking for. There is no restriction on being able to apply for jobs. But usually Swedish companies do 2-3 interviews (Typical thing I have seen: first interview just explaining the work, informal chat and showing around the place, explaining the interview process. HR people do that. Then in second they usually check of your competence. In third you have a chat your hiring manager and contract negotiation. There may be more steps involved of course). For these 2-3 you will have to be here in Stockholm.

4. I would suggest you focus on coming to Sweden and settling down first. It will be hectic and you may be better off helping your spouse with house work in the beginning and on the side learning Swedish. Be very active in learning Swedish in the beginning. After 6 months - year your driving license from any other country outside of EU will be not usable any more (even if it has a validity date). So you will have to get a EU license and Swedish one will take you some effort to say the least. (I am saying these from my personal experience). Last but not least finding job in Stockholm is 10 times easier than finding a roof over your head.

Also make very sure that your Wife's documents are rock solid. When she starts working and gets a personal number she should ask for proof from her employer that all her work insurances are being paid and get the insurance numbers. It is not a problem if the company is big and they have signed collective agreements. But small companies either don't know the rules or don't care sometimes. Do signup for a Union and an A-kassa (look them up on Google).
+
hatim
post 6.Oct.2016, 08:41 AM
Post #3

Actually: I am not sure if you will get person number from tax office when your visa is for less than a year.That may be a problem. Ask tax office about it.
+
From India
post 9.Oct.2016, 07:09 AM
Post #4

@hatim

Thank you for your response. This certainly helped answer almost all my questions. Few more below,

4. I have decided to come over, settle down and then hunt for job. Given the holiday season in Dec/ Jan, would the opportunities shrink in Stockholm? Will this let me stay jobless for a while?
5. Is it a good strategy to work as a consultant in Stockholm? If yes, how would I apply for my independent work permit later on?
6. If i get a full time job with my current dependent VISA, wouldn't my employer agree to sponsor/ approve the work permit independently? I ask this cos my wife wouldn't have person number or other documentation as the initial stay is only till July 2017.
7. Is there a job consultant/ agent whom i can enroll to get a easy access to open positions around Stockholm?
8. I applied for couple of opportunities online on the company website and linkedin, but doesn't seem to have got a positive response. Any best practice to follow?

Thank you in advance.
+
hatim
post 9.Oct.2016, 11:59 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (From India @ 9.Oct.2016, 08:09 AM) *
@hatimThank you for your response. This certainly helped answer almost all my questions. Few more below,4. I have decided to come over, settle down and then hunt for job. Give ... (show full quote)

4- Dec , Jan will not be very active. Most people are on vacations around Christmas and new year. Hiring months are around March, April May and Sept, Oct, Nov. But that is just my personal experience. But you can always apply. I got my first lead in Stockholm in dead of winter in January 2011.

5- I can not say if it is a good strategy or not. But when you are a consultant by your self you have to signup as a sole trader with bolagsverket. Then you have to make sure all the tax stuff works out (so most likely you will need to hire an accountant). You will for sure need personal number for all of this. So it will not be easy. I think you could join temp agency.

6- If you get full time employment your employer can for sure give you an offer of employment and then you can file for a work visa. If your employer really want you then they can also pay extra to hire a relocation company to do the processing on your behalf and application time will be shorter. But I am reasonably sure that to apply for a brand new work permit you will have to go outside of the country. You can check this with MV directly if you come here on spouse permit and get an offer of employment before your permit expires, do you need to go back to apply or not.

7- There are plenty of temp agencies in Stockholm. You will have to look at job boards to find the ones in your field though. But no temp agency will assign you to any role until you have met them in person, just like any other candinate (unless they have a good reason for treating you differently)

8- When I was in different part of Sweden I would not get any responses from Stockholm companies about my applications. As soon as I moved here things started to open up. Many Stockholm companies prefer local candidates (the strange logic which I think they apply is :- since it is much harder to find a place to live here, a person who is already here is less risk to hire than some one who has to move here). Ofcourse your wife was lucky and she must be very good at what she does.

Just check with MV if you can apply for work permit from within Sweden if you are on a valid spouse permit and the rest you have to deal with after coming here.
+
From India
post 12.Oct.2016, 12:39 PM
Post #6

Thank you again for your response hatim. I really appreciate your help.

The last few questions, which are more important per my recent developments.

9. I am planning to arrive at Stocklholm in Jan 2017 as i need to settle certain things back home. As stated earlier, given the VISA of my spouse valid till July 2017 only (with greater chances of extension, but nothing on paper), would any employer offer me a job which will be 6 months (or) less with my current dependent VISA?

10. What are the chances/ ways for me to negotiate with the employer to offer a job + work permit independently? How should i work that out?

11. If the offer is made for job untill July'17, would the employer extend my work permit? How do i be sure about this? is this something which i need to confirm during my interview?

12. Any leads from the best practices/ your experience would greatly help for the above questions.

Thanks a ton for your patience to look into my questions and respond promptly. You truly deserve an appreciation.
+
NoworNever
post 12.Oct.2016, 12:49 PM
Post #7

You have to look for the jobs advertised only on Arbetsförmedlingen.Since you are Non-EU national, you Cannot apply for the jobs advertised by independent recruiters or Linkedin etc.

For work permit related issues you can visit the link below (self employment, employment etc):

http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...-in-Sweden.html
+
Neha
post 24.Mar.2018, 08:55 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (From India @ 4.Oct.2016, 02:02 PM) *
Hello All -I am travelling with my spouse's work permit as a dependent and my decision letter says i can work in Stockholm. My spouse & I have been issued the residenc ... (show full quote)

Hi

Just like you I would be moving to Malmo on my spouse's visa as a dependent for 6 months. I work in advertising agency as an Art Director with 7 years of experience. As I can understand by your query, u had somewhat same situation as mine.

1. How hard was it to get a job there?

2. Did you apply for the work permit independently ? If yes then did u have to come back to India for that ?

Thanks in advance.
smile.gif
+
Svedallas
post 26.Mar.2018, 01:05 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Neha @ 24.Mar.2018, 09:55 PM) *
HiJust like you I would be moving to Malmo on my spouse's visa as a dependent for 6 months. I work in advertising agency as an Art Director with 7 years of experience. As ... (show full quote)

Why is this under SWEDISH NEWS????????

Getting really tired of community being about visas.
WTF.
+
wallace1837
post 28.Mar.2018, 03:23 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (hatim @ 6.Oct.2016, 07:21 AM) *
Admins: Can any one move this thread:

Because the request to the admin was only made in October 2016. You can expect migrationsverket speed on those requests.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: