The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Woman interrogated by police

for posting joke on Facebook

Gamla Hälsingebock
post 4.Mar.2018, 08:40 PM
Post #16

A case of "political correctness" at it's finest, as the man said, quite Orwellian...

Methinks one of us worships "Big Brother"...

Guess who???
Go to the top of the page
+
Saywhatwhat
post 4.Mar.2018, 08:50 PM
Post #17

Wow, what a story... how ridiculous. Does anyone have a news link to the story? Sorry if it has already been posted.

I personally think freedom of speech should only be questioned when a clear and obvious threat is being made against someone or a group. If someone says something you don’t like either debate it respectfully or ignore it.
An example of my “line”...

A nazi group is having a public gathering and they announce that they need to take back (whatever country) from immigrants and make it white again or ours again...I think that is fine.

If they say we’re going to make it white again by killing... not ok. Or if they say something like go drive a car into some church... or something like that, you catch my drift...not ok.

Saying fuck this group or fuck that group. That’s fine. Saying I’m going to kill this group or that group... not fine

I personally think that’s a good line to follow.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 4.Mar.2018, 09:42 PM
Post #18

How about this???

Assault and battery is the combination of two violent crimes: assault (the threat of violence) and battery (physical violence). This legal distinction exists only in jurisdictions that distinguish assault as threatened violence rather than actual violence.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 4.Mar.2018, 10:32 PM
Post #19

Well there you go. When “freedom of speech” turns into assault. Fair line to hold until police involvement, in my opinion.
+
gsurya
post 5.Mar.2018, 08:13 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 4.Mar.2018, 08:50 PM) *
A nazi group is having a public gathering and they announce that they need to take back (whatever country) from immigrants and make it white again or ours again...I think that is fine.

Well, thats exactly what Hitler said in his pre-election speeches about Jews, he never explicitly said he was going to exterminate them in gas chambers. QED.
+
Uncle Fred
post 5.Mar.2018, 09:48 AM
Post #21

QUOTE (gsurya @ 4.Mar.2018, 01:14 PM) *
I suspect you also know exactly where the line is, but choose not to see it.

So who is choosing not to see anything now.

You haven't answered any of my questions.
Please don't come on here trying to preach what you think is right and cast aside other peoples views
+
Saywhatwhat
post 7.Mar.2018, 08:24 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (gsurya @ 5.Mar.2018, 08:13 AM) *
Well, thats exactly what Hitler said in his pre-election speeches about Jews, he never explicitly said he was going to exterminate them in gas chambers. QED.

Oh he put lots of people in gas chambers. Probably didn’t want to make any promises he didn’t know he could keep that early in a campaign.

I like how you take my example of where a line should be drawn, omit my full quote to take away its context, and then compare me to Hitler. Feel free to say that all you want... but maybe consider the point I make before picking and choosing my words to falsely prop up your own point... which is????

Why don’t you give an example of where the line should be drawn in regards to free speech. Something that isnt overly subjective. Like I said, when fos becomes Assault. Sure there can be some subjectivity to what a threat of physical violence is... but not so much.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 7.Mar.2018, 08:35 AM
Post #23

Oh and with this QED BS. I sneezed this year and it snowed. When I sneeze it snows. QED.

Yes we should lock people up on the assumption they will do harm. Sounds like you’re in support of the big brother pre crime division.

To the original point of this thread. If anything whatever government force could have started monitoring this woman’s computer. For all we know they already do. But it is a waste of time, energy, and money to physically bring this person in for questioning. Not only is it a waste as mentioned but it is an unnecessary traumatic experience for that woman that is created by the Swedish police/ govt. She didn’t bring it upon herself
+
Bsmith
post 7.Mar.2018, 12:00 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 7.Mar.2018, 07:35 AM) *
whatever government force could have started monitoring this woman’s computer. For all we know they already do. But it is a waste of time, energy, and money to physically br ... (show full quote)

No, the government should not be concerned with people expressing their opinions unless it is an obvious and ominous threat.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 7.Mar.2018, 02:11 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 7.Mar.2018, 12:00 PM) *
No, the government should not be concerned with people expressing their opinions unless it is an obvious and ominous threat.

I agree there should have been no intervention in this situation. I was more saying in a situation so trivial and obviously no threat other than assumed that I would hope if action is a MUST ( by those deciding) that it would at least be wise and meet the threat. Assumed threat.

But what govt agency is wise, especially in protecting rights... QED
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.Mar.2018, 03:13 PM
Post #26

Be careful of what you think...thought crime is a punishable offense, you know!!!
+
Saywhatwhat
post 7.Mar.2018, 07:35 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 7.Mar.2018, 03:13 PM) *
Be careful of what you think...thought crime is a punishable offense, you know!!!

Blast! Those darn pre cogs!
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: