The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Signal Processing at BTH

Kernel
post 28.Nov.2006, 10:09 PM
Post #1

What is the reputation of MSc Electrical Engineering (Signal Processing) program in Sweden. It appears from some websites that its one of the best.

Are there any good and bad experiences in this regard??
Go to the top of the page
+
Kernel
post 28.Nov.2006, 10:10 PM
Post #2

As an extension if we compare programs at BTH, KTH and Chalmers are they at par or are they different.
I have heard that BTH has good reputation for Signal Processing, is it so?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 28.Nov.2006, 11:11 PM
Post #3

If you mean civilingenjörsprogram the quality does not differ much between the nine different universities certified to give civilingenjörsdiplom. It seems like BTH as an excellent institution for signal processing, but in general older universities tend to have a better reputation, mostly because a lot of people in industry graduated from those. My advice is to look at the contents of the education and not on reputation, since contrary to many other countries, this is not really a big deal in Sweden...
+
Nomark
post 28.Nov.2006, 11:19 PM
Post #4

Even in Sweden, the reputation of a university means a lot to employers - I know from this the students I teach and the alumni.

Unless there is a particular course which is head and shoulders above the rest, then the uni. should be a major consideration. This may not be fair but the recruiters are full of folk from prestigious institutions - they have a prejudice.

It is also the case that the more prestigious universities tend to attract the brighter, more motivated students, as in the UK. Being among a more able cohort helps a student raise his/her own game.
+
Puffin
post 29.Nov.2006, 08:54 AM
Post #5

I agree with nomark - the reputation of the University does count for quite a lot in Sweden - although everyone officially denies this. Some of the smaller/newer Universities are not highly regarded and are often less attractive to employers - although there are sometimes individual subjects that they excel at because of a particular professor.

I have a Swedish friend who commutes 200 miles a day to a degree course in Uppsala instead of Dalarna because she percieves that the course is higher quality and will make her more employable.

It is very difficult to determine with Post-Grad qualifications as admissions are often done locally by the departments. For undergraduate degrees I usually check out the admission statistics produced by VHS and would personally avoid courses where people with very low grade point averages have been admitted - or in some cases people who have failed parts of high school!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: