The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Sweden shows off Garbo, Bergman banknotes

The Local
post 24.Apr.2012, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Sweden's Riksbank on Tuesday released the long-awaited designs of new banknotes featuring the likes of Greta Garbo, Ingmar Bergman, Astrid Lindgren, and other cultural giants of the 20th century.

The notes were designed by Göran Österlund, whose colourful "Journey of Culture" (Kulturresan) design was selected from among eight finalists.

Thursday's presentation of the new designs by the Riksbank comes a year after the bank first announced the six 20th century Swedish icons whose profiles would grace the new bills.

The face of Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman will adorn the new 200 kronor note, while children's author Astrid Lindgren will be the new face on the 20 kronor note, replacing the popular Selma Lagerlöf.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
J Jack
post 24.Apr.2012, 02:44 PM
Post #2

So I'll be feeding Dag Hammarskjöld into my gas tank soon.
+
wolverine2k
post 24.Apr.2012, 02:59 PM
Post #3

I thought Sweden was moving towards paperless cash by 2015. In any case, I hope the old notes are out of circulation otherwise it will create quite a confusion. A 20SEK note is not a good sign as that would mean that the minimum denomination of 1SEK will be undermined.
+
Svensksmith
post 24.Apr.2012, 03:32 PM
Post #4

What, no ABBA notes?
+
Spuds MacKenzie
post 27.Apr.2012, 02:09 AM
Post #5

I love the new (and current) Swedish currency! It's sad that my homeland (USA) only has politicians on all banknotes. I would love to see Edison, Gershwin, John Wayne...or even Steve Jobs on U.S. bills. Those are the people who really defined America, not politicians.
+
dukesy
post 15.Sep.2012, 08:52 AM
Post #6

As a foreigner looking in,( a Brit),maybe its time to update the bank notes,and at least the Swedish bank has told everyone before hand,unlike the Uk Government ,who replaced the last £20 note with a different design,and told no one,so many shops and businesses,including those of us in the `taxi` trade,were refusing to accept what turned out to be perfectly good bank notes.
The comment from Wolverine2k,about moving to `paperless currency`. To that person i would just say,dont call for that too soon,remember how much weight you could end up having in you pocket if you had only coins.
But whilst still on that point,I think its the Irish that have bank notes made of a `waxed paper` like material. I have had it presented to me as payment of fares,and i did think it a good idea,since paper,after a while gets very tatty and `sad` looking. Also Wolverine2k,i dont know about you,but i find that coins are a good way of wearing holes in your pockets.
Finally,and to comment on Svensksmith, while I would love to see Sweden honour `Abba with either a run of stamps,or on `bank notes`, here in UK,the person honoured by such a move,has first to have died. Im not sure about our stamps here in UK,obviously with the exception of our Queen on all notes and coins,im pretty sure all other depictions of famous people must be `deceased` first.
Whilst I would certainly buy a set of stamps,as we in UK call them...a`first day cover`, and i dont collect stamps at all,but a set with all 4 of `Abba` would make an exception,as i would with same on bank notes, I`m in no hurry to see any of the `Foursome` depart from us. From what ive seen in press reports,and the like,all 4 may be in their 60`s now,but they are still active,and hopefully long to remain so.
There was a report on `you tube` of Agnetha,getting an award from `Elle` magazine, i have to say She looked fantastic. Apart from being a guy,if i look as fit and heathy as Her when im her age,ill be really happy.
Thats it for now...its nearly 9am here in UK,ive been at work all night,so ill say tack sa mycket och god natt pa UK. john
+
PacoMartin
post 21.Jul.2018, 09:41 PM
Post #7

Crane has decided to vacate Tumba (30 minutes from downtown Stockholm) for their new facility in Malta, as a result the Riksbank has terminated their agreement to produce new Swedish banknotes.

Norway also terminated their own facility and their banknotes are printed by Oberthur Fiduciaire in France. Norges Bank is paying approximately NOK 0.55 per note for the denominations issued in 2017.

Norges Bank is obviously not paying for notes smaller than 50kr, as that is a lot of money to pay for a 20kr banknote. If Sweden were to let a contract with Oberthur Fiduciaire it seems to make sense that they should switch the small banknote to a coin.

Also the Riksbank is producing a 1000kr banknotes, but is circulating only very tiny quantities. Perhaps the Riskbank considers a stockpile of 1000kr banknotes as important in case there is a disaster (natural or manmade).

The Riksbank considers production quantities of banknotes to be a state secret, unlike Norges Bank and almost every central bank. It is possible the Riksbank has enough notes for several years, and this is not an immediate crisis. In any event I expect they will give serious consideration to producing a 20kr coin.

According to Riksbank these are the numbers of notes circulating in Sweden
Denom : Jun 30, 18
20 kr : 50.9 million
50 kr : 19.2
100 kr : 30.8
200 kr : 28.3
500 kr : 72.4
1000 kr : 3.4
total : 204.9

According to Norges bank, these are the numbers of notes circulating in Norway
50 kr : 22.4 million
100 kr : 21.6
200 kr : 29.2
500 kr : 35.4
1000 kr : 15.6
TOTAL : 124.1

Norway has not produced a 1000kr banknote in over a decade since they transferred production to Oberthur Fiduciaire and is slowly wearing out the notes in circulation. Norway's plan is to issue the redesigned 1000-krone banknote in the course of autumn 2019. It is not clear if their intent is to follow Sweden and issue only a few million of the new notes.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 21.Jul.2018, 11:04 PM
Post #8

What is the importance here???
+
PacoMartin
post 22.Jul.2018, 12:34 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 21.Jul.2018, 11:04 PM) *
What is the importance here???

The Riksbank might have to introduce a 20kr coin as new banknotes may cost as much as 0.55 SEK to produce. If they wear out in a few years, you will be paying their face value in a decade.
+
PacoMartin
post 22.Jul.2018, 04:21 PM
Post #10

The US partly justifies keeping the $1 and $2 banknote since production is about 5.6 cents per note. But the USA prints up an average of 150 million $1 banknotes per month. By law in the USA the $1 and $2 banknote cannot be updated with new portraits or security measures as it would make the cost go up. Although that makes counterfeiting easier, it is believed that no serious criminal operation could be undertaken with such small denominations.

Norway circulates about 125 million banknotes, and Sweden circulates just over 200 million banknotes in all denominations. With such small quantities it does not make sense for either country to operate their own production facilities. But since they have updated all denominations of their notes, and they must procure them through a profit making foreign corporation, they pay 10 times as much per banknote.

That makes the decision by Sweden not to convert 20kr to a coin particularly costly as one in four Swedish banknotes is the 20kr denomination.
+
SmokerT69
post 2.Aug.2018, 06:50 AM
Post #11

I've only seen a 1000SEK note once in my entire stay here. They do seem to be pretty rare. I remember we use to have 500$ bills in my country, the equivalent of 4500SEK. But I haven't seen them in over a decade. It made sense as everything is so expensive. You're groceries from the store for a family of 3 for 1 week was around 300-400$. I remember before I moved here, it was a pain in the ass to pay rent and bills. There was only 50$ notes in circulation as the highest amount, 100$ bills were so rare. Carrying 2500-3000$ rent for the month in 50$ bills to your landlord, plus the other 1000$ in utilities created a big bulge in your pocket.
+
PacoMartin
post 10.Feb.2019, 03:55 AM
Post #12

Sweden is the only nation in the world that has been steadily dropping it's currency in circulation since 2007.

Banknotes and coins in circulation in billions of SEK
  • 2007 114 kr - billions
  • 2008 112 kr
  • 2009 109 kr
  • 2010 105 kr
  • 2011 99 kr
  • 2012 96 kr
  • 2013 86 kr
  • 2014 83 kr
  • 2015 73 kr
  • 2016 62 kr
  • 2017 56 kr
Maybe there is a backlash developing because the number of 500kr banknotes in circulation increased by over 16% in 2018.

Circulation of the 1000kr banknote is at 3.336 million notes which is ridiculously small for a nation of 10 million inhabitants. It is an open question why the Riksbank just didn't get rid of the denomination.

Norway has reduced the circulation of their 1000kr banknote to 14 million banknotes. They have not produced a 1000kr banknote since 2005, but they intend to introduce new ones in 2019.

Denmark has 33.7 million 1000kr banknotes in circulation as of the end of 2017.

------------
Sweden used to have a 10,000kr banknote up until 1991 which would have been worth $1800 at end of 1991. It was deemed unnecessary and demonetized.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Feb.2019, 04:16 AM
Post #13

A cashless society is on the way...
+
Bsmith
post 10.Feb.2019, 12:27 PM
Post #14

I've been cashless since I got married...
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: