The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Pizza; is it only in Sweden?

The plastic tub of "salad"

eardoctor
post 26.Jan.2010, 08:29 AM
Post #1

Is there any other country where a pizza automatically comes with a plastic tub of damp sliced cabbage? Or is it yet another Swedish monopoly?
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 26.Jan.2010, 09:20 AM
Post #2

You don't like the marinated cabbage?

Accordinding to Wiki it was invented by one of the first Italian's to own a pizzeria in the 1960s in Stockholm.

I'd heards something different - that the salad had a eastern europeans origin to appeal to many of the guest workers from the Balkans and Turkey.

I really like it if it's made well
+
Rick Methven
post 26.Jan.2010, 09:31 AM
Post #3

The cabbage salad is a sort of Balkan sauerkraut. In the 80's there was a Pizzeria here owned by an Italian and a Romanian, the Romanian style salad that they served at lunch with warm pizza bread loaves was fantastic.

In Romania they pickle cabbages in the autumn with salt and spices to have during the winter. My ex's mother swore that drinking the liquid was a preventative for cancer. Guess what she died from wink.gif
+
Plowbridge
post 26.Jan.2010, 09:47 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 26.Jan.2010, 09:31 AM) *
My ex's mother swore that drinking the liquid was a preventative for cancer. Guess what she died from wink.gif

Was she trampled to death by a horse and cart carrying Romanian pickle? ohmy.gif
+
kerostarfx
post 26.Jan.2010, 09:51 AM
Post #5

I always throw mine away unsure.gif the pizza is already enough to eat!
+
Puffin
post 26.Jan.2010, 09:53 AM
Post #6

A lot of people spread it out on top of the pizza smile.gif
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 26.Jan.2010, 10:01 AM
Post #7

It's their way of distracting you from the rubbish pizzas.

Unlike the pizzas, the cabbage is edible.
+
byke
post 26.Jan.2010, 10:14 AM
Post #8

I dont eat the cabbage stuff, as its not my thing.
But does the quality / recipe of the svenskraut taste better or worse depending on which pizzeria it comes from?

The reason why I ask is because I havent found any pizza house over here that doesnt sell shit pizzas (cheap starchy low quality flour, cheap, oily cheap ass cheese, thin since the dough always sucks etc etc) As with most things profit margins and more importantly lack of pride seems evident regards to food etc ...

Also how many times have I gone past or into a pizza house in sweden which claims to be Italian only to be run by a couple of turks or other middle eastern person trying to mislead their punters by wearing a baseball cap with an italian flag on it?
+
Rick Methven
post 26.Jan.2010, 10:26 AM
Post #9

There are some REAL Italian restaurants around that do a good Pizza. Some will do a take-away as well. The problem is that to the average Swede a Pizza is a Pizza and should always be CHEAP. A good pizza cost more to make than the usual Turkish/Serbian crap and so will cost more and so has been pushed out of the market by the " Never mind the quality look at the size" philosophy sad.gif
+
Puffin
post 26.Jan.2010, 10:32 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 26.Jan.2010, 10:26 AM) *
so has been pushed out of the market by the " Never mind the quality look at the size" philosophy sad.gif

This is very true - there are some pizza places that pride themselves in making pizzas that are too big to fit in the box so have to be folded ...

Then there is the kebab tallrik on a pizza type - doner kebab meat, salad and french fries all on a pizza ...
+
eardoctor
post 26.Jan.2010, 10:45 AM
Post #11

well...i guess it's gonna be now then:- Who makes the best pizza in sverige? I havent found a good one yet!
+
Mzungu
post 26.Jan.2010, 10:53 AM
Post #12

From comments it would appear time for a little home cooking..
It's not rocket science to make a pizza,you have then a vast variety of toppings to add, which suit your palate.

*sod the cabbage*
+
byke
post 26.Jan.2010, 11:07 AM
Post #13

I have tried it, and must say getting good flour over here for pizza making is part of the problem.
+
post 26.Jan.2010, 11:36 AM
Post #14

nonsense. any flour works just fine. if you want to get sniffy at what is hard to find (which directly contributes to the flavor of the dough) it's the yeast starter.
+
byke
post 26.Jan.2010, 11:42 AM
Post #15

Oh look its Rick Stein.
I tell you what, why dont you tell us all what the best flour is then?

Hi Glutenous flour over here which is a key factor to pizza dough is not on par regarding diversity and availability with other countries.

SuperFACT
+

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: