The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7   Reply to this topic

Pizza; is it only in Sweden?

The plastic tub of "salad"

Rick Methven
post 24.Feb.2010, 01:29 PM
Post #91

QUOTE (Freja @ 24.Feb.2010, 01:20 PM) *
hope you had a good bottle of barolo with it.

No rubbish barola.

A bottle of excellent 2007 ecological Barbera d' Alba from my friend Batista's vineyard in Alba

http://www.casascaparone.it/
Go to the top of the page
+
Angusthefirst
post 24.Feb.2010, 01:48 PM
Post #92

QUOTE (byke @ 28.Jan.2010, 07:26 PM) *
We need to all put our heads together to get a few real pizza makers over to sweden and expose them via a festival.. Pizza Fest 2010 "Introducing Sweden to real Pizzas"

Bizarre thread above and, as an Australian with two Italian parents (and a hell of a lot of cousins smile.gif ) living and working in Stockholm in an office with two Italian natives pedantic about food I couldn’t help but comment on this.

Firstly, I have no idea what many people are talking about with regard to Swedish pizza being nothing like Italian pizza. For starters, where I grew up (in Melbourne with a huge Italian community) the said community have had to adapt their traditional pizza making to suit the locals, much to the chagrin of us Italians let me tell you. Thick crust pizza, which is most certainly not Italian, is the best example of this but pizzas like “Aussie” pizzas (shredded low quality ham with a fried egg and cheese) and Hawaiin (again cheap shredded ham with pieces of pineapple) are another example. Quite simply, we kept making them because the locals loved them, though we laughed at them behind their backs. Pizzas should be very simple, thin crust with not too much on them. Having travelled around Australia and the States extensively (ok, granted NY has thin crust versus Chicago deep pan) pizzas from these countries are definitely NOT Italian, even if there are large Italian communities that happen to reside in these countries (such as my family). Like I said, like many migrants us Italians had to adapt to the locals.

Swedish pizza is a much more “Italian” pizza than others from anglo-saxon countries. The crust is thin for starters. Often the toppings, while not of the highest quality (fair enough for the price you pay) are sparsely proportioned and the pizzas are quite simple. All in all, much more Italian, as pizza is very much a working class food there as it is here. Sure, Swedes have crazy concoctions but so do the countries that many of these posters are from. Being an Aussie I know all about them!

It’s okay if you don’t like Swedish pizza for whatever reason, just don’t bring Italy into the debate as you’ll have no leg to stand on. My Italian colleagues here and I agree that the standard of the rest of what Swedes call Italian food (pasta with ketchup anyone? cold pasta in salads) is what is really appalling and should rightly be criticised. The pizza on the other hand is pretty damn good and closer to Italy than any other country we have been to. I know many of you like to bash Sweden but you’re barking up the wrong tree with pizza.
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Feb.2010, 02:10 PM
Post #93

QUOTE (Angusthefirst @ 24.Feb.2010, 01:48 PM) *
Swedish pizza is a much more “Italian” pizza than others from anglo-saxon countries. The crust is thin for starters. Often the toppings, while not of the highest quality ( ... (show full quote)

Pizza in Sweden came from Italy. In the 70's A lot of migrants from Northern Italy, mainly Turin, came to Sweden to work particularly in Machine industries. Many of them missed their traditional foods and so after the industrial workers cam another wave of migrants from Italy who came to bring a little bit of home food for the other migrants, including pizza. Here in Linköping in the 80's there where a number of real Italian restaurants run by real Italians. I remember 2 Italian colleagues of mine, one from Turin and another from the south arguing about what constituted a real pizza. I was asked to be the judge and declared that both offerings where very good if slightly different in style. Since those days Pizza has changed to suit the local taste and other immigrants have taken over from Italians. toppings come and toppings go but what has remained constant is that typical Italian thin crust
+
Angusthefirst
post 24.Feb.2010, 02:16 PM
Post #94

Thanks Rick, very interesting, didn't know anything if I'm honest about Italian migration to Sweden, explains a lot regarding the pizza! smile.gif
+
Freja
post 24.Feb.2010, 02:18 PM
Post #95

QUOTE (Angusthefirst @ 24.Feb.2010, 12:48 PM) *
Swedish pizza is a much more “Italian” pizza than others from anglo-saxon countries. The crust is thin for starters. Often the toppings, while not of the highest quality ( ... (show full quote)

Exactly. Eat that!!!

But again, preferences differs and people like different things. But preaching others about 'real' or even 'good' pizza when the frame of reference is Strada, Pizza Express, Tesco, Sainsubry and M&S... Not mentioning stooopid ideas of having some "introducing swedes to real pizza" campaign as someone did above, clearly clueless of what was going on (as usual).
+
Angusthefirst
post 24.Feb.2010, 02:35 PM
Post #96

I agree with you. being Italian you have to be pretty easy going about pizza and, I guess, the rest of the cuisine being taken up by the world and adapted to regional tastes. I just found it astounding that so many on here were attacking Swedish pizza for not being "real". My ridiculously pedantic (although I must add, quite typically pedantic, as food is such a huge part of all Italians' lives)Italian office mates admittedly don't have a great time here with the food. They only eat sushi and pizza out as they claim that is all Swedes make properly. Any food, they make at home which is good for me as I invite myself over as often as I can and the food is amazing biggrin.gif .

Having Italian blood but aussie upbringing I have inherited the Italian pedanticness and have learnt to acquire an Aussie's love of trying and liking many different foods (my sambo's meatballs are amazing and I am even partial to kroppkakor, swedish food is often under-rated in my opinion), something my Italian colleagues may learn with time but I'm not holding my breath!
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Feb.2010, 03:10 PM
Post #97

QUOTE (Angusthefirst @ 24.Feb.2010, 02:16 PM) *
Thanks Rick, very interesting, didn't know anything if I'm honest about Italian migration to Sweden, explains a lot regarding the pizza! smile.gif

In the 70's and 80's a lot of skilled Italians found work here in the Machine tool industry and here a lot came to work for SAAB Aerospace. After the Italians came the Yugoslavs - mainly from the area which is now Serbia.

In 1980 when I first came to Linköping there was a restaurant owned by an Italian and a Romanian who had very public fights, both being hot blooded Latins. apart from the free entertainment of the regular fights, the blend of Italian and Balkan cuisine was fantastic. The pizza was great and the Romanian cooked a mamaligutsa (Romanian Polenta bread) that my Romanian ex wifes mother would have been proud of
+
Streja
post 25.Feb.2010, 04:26 PM
Post #98

Finally someone who knows something.

So no American pizza revolution in Sweden then.
+
dave.smith
post 26.Feb.2010, 02:10 PM
Post #99

There is just nothing like a pizza with pizza salad. Without pizza salad the pizza is crap - no other country does this and therefore Swedish pizza is the best. tongue.gif
+

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: