The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Driving on Autobahn

Why so fast

Furu
post 8.Jan.2010, 11:30 PM
Post #1

Why do people drive in Germany with speeds above 150km/h even when it is raining and wet with temperatures around 3 Degrees.
Go to the top of the page
+
CTIDinÅrsta
post 8.Jan.2010, 11:47 PM
Post #2

because they can?
+
jack sprat
post 8.Jan.2010, 11:53 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Furu @ 9.Jan.2010, 12:30 AM) *
Why do people drive in Germany with speeds above 150km/h even when it is raining and wet with temperatures around 3 Degrees.

1,..cos they're nuts or
2,..cos they think they're indestructable in their latest hi tech, every built in safety device, automobile.

In my experience the former is undoubtedly the case, as they repeatedly scrape the latest victims of the road.
Driving the length of Europe on a regular basis I always find in Germany its a case of more haste, less speed with so many hold-ups and huge tail backs as the latest kamikaze merchant is carted away.
Added to that is the present nightmare roadwork situation causing even more frustration than ever.
+
jack sprat
post 8.Jan.2010, 11:59 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (CTIDinÅrsta @ 9.Jan.2010, 12:47 AM) *
because they can?

Not quite true as an increasing number of speed restrictions have been coming into force on the autobahns recently.
For instance in the Bremen area there is now a 110 speed limit.
Also note that anyone involved in an accident, who is found to have been doing more than 120kph, will be automatically held to be at least partly responsible for the incident,...
...that is if he survives to tell the tale... sad.gif
+
Per Johansson52
post 9.Jan.2010, 12:06 AM
Post #5

Could be because of BMW or Benz?
+
Furu
post 9.Jan.2010, 12:34 AM
Post #6

M6 on Autobahn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTMKkPxei0I
+
Marmi
post 9.Jan.2010, 02:35 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Furu @ 9.Jan.2010, 12:30 AM) *

Why not??

I love driving fast, and do it every chance I get. biggrin.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 9.Jan.2010, 09:55 AM
Post #8

Even when its wet and slippery ?

Hope you got good life insurance for family to claim on cool.gif
+
mazz
post 9.Jan.2010, 11:17 AM
Post #9

is there a buffet at the end of the autobahn,that might explain it!
+
Furu
post 9.Jan.2010, 06:05 PM
Post #10

This presentations explains some reasons of having no speed limit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MloMjpl2ME
+
jack sprat
post 9.Jan.2010, 09:58 PM
Post #11

I think anyone who has spent much time around German autobahns in the last two years or so will advise you to take those clips with a huge pinch of salt.
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Jan.2010, 07:14 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Furu @ 9.Jan.2010, 06:05 PM) *
This presentations explains some reasons of having no speed limit.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MloMjpl2ME

What was in the video, its been removed!!
+
Furu
post 10.Jan.2010, 07:23 PM
Post #13

Compared to North America where the speed limit is 100kph for last 50 years.

Explained the design of the roads on Autobahn that cause less fatigue (such as strips are wider and far apart).

Explained on safety such as safe driving distance and undertaking. Also mentioned that it is better to keep eyes on road rather than on speedometer.

Also stated, no speed limit forced German car makers to design more aerodynamic cars, better engineering and suspension designs.

The presentation was called "Autobahn the world's only superhighway"
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Jan.2010, 07:30 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Furu @ 10.Jan.2010, 07:23 PM) *
Compared to North America where the speed limit is 100kph for last 50 years.Explained on safety such as safe driving distance and undertaking. Also mentioned that it is better ... (show full quote)

My experience is that it is better to keep your eye on the rear view mirror for that beemer coming up at 220k unsure.gif
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 11.Jan.2010, 10:14 AM
Post #15

Every year I will usually take at least one trip down the E4 for 08'ville to Germany, sometimes just going as far as the Nürburgring for some laps and other times to Switzerland or the south of France. I've done this in a couple of different cars and bikes.

I find the driving down the E4 on the motorway sections sticking to the 110 or 120 speed limits I am in a bored daze. It think it has something to do with the lack of objects in the close proximity to give a relative feeling of speed, so the mind wanders. And as Furu mentions my eyes do wander down to speedo to check my progress.

Once I hit the unlimited Autobahns it is a very different matter. As my speed increases, so does my concentration. I am very focused on what is ahead, are cars breaking, is a car catching up on slower traffic and likely to change lanes etc... Also as I have done a lot of driving there I closely watch my mirrors for fast approaching traffic.

For the record my fastest speed is 284kmh, which is my current cars max, recorded on a sunny summers Sunday morning. I have only ever hit that speed once. Normally I am lucky if I manage to hit 250 before having to slow. There are just too many cars and trucks on the roads to safely travel at max speed. For some reason I don't feel comfortable passing a track at 150kmh + faster than them on a 2 lane road.

I also slow up greatly when the conditions are bad. Last spring I got a lot of rain on a few days and had cars fly past when I was cruising on about 120 rolleyes.gif

The place is fun to drive, but you need to understand the driving etiquette.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: