The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Driving on Autobahn

Why so fast

entry
post 11.Jan.2010, 11:28 AM
Post #16

$290,000 speeding ticket
"GENEVA — European countries are increasingly pegging speeding fines to income as a way to punish wealthy scofflaws who would otherwise ignore tickets.

Advocates say a $290,000 speeding ticket slapped on a millionaire Ferrari driver in Switzerland was a fair and well-deserved example of the trend.

Germany, France, Austria and the Nordic countries also issue punishments based on a person's wealth. In Germany the maximum fine can be as much as $16 million compared to only $1 million in Switzerland. Only Finland regularly hands out similarly hefty fine to speeding drivers, with the current record believed to be a $190,000 ticket in 2004.

The Swiss court appeared to set a world record when it levied the fine in November on a man identified in the Swiss media only as "Roland S." Judges in the eastern canton of St. Gallen described him as a "traffic thug" in their verdict, which only recently came to light." more
Go to the top of the page
+
Mzungu
post 11.Jan.2010, 06:34 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Renfeh Hguh @ 11.Jan.2010, 10:14 AM) *
For the record my fastest speed is 284kmh, . The place is fun to drive, but you need to understand the driving etiquette.

What happened couldn't you find 6th gear? :wink:

*precisely,also in Sweden and SA!!*
+
Mack
post 11.Jan.2010, 06:44 PM
Post #18

Compared to North America where the speed limit is 100kph for last 50 years.

Likely for good reason. In general, I find North American drivers to have much poorer skills then the UK and much of Europe. Go to a place like Toronto... large portions of people driving maybe only learned to drive since coming to Canada... craziness.

My personal peeves is people that won't get out of the over taking lane. People who undertake. People that don't know how to merge. People that have no judgement of distance and slam on the brakes instead or proceeding through a gap with easily .5 meters on either side of their car... I could go on and on.
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 11.Jan.2010, 08:06 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Mzungu @ 11.Jan.2010, 06:34 PM) *
What happened couldn't you find 6th gear? :wink:. *precisely,also in Sweden and SA!!*

it was in 6th and at the red line. I need the turbo wink.gif

At the speeds you (or others) travel on the autobahns it is more critical to understand the etiquette there than in other countries.
+
Furu
post 11.Jan.2010, 08:20 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Mack @ 11.Jan.2010, 06:44 PM) *
Likely for good reason. In general, I find North American drivers to have much poorer skills then the UK and much of Europe. Go to a place like Toronto... large portions of ... (show full quote)

That is why Sweden won't exchange a North American license.
+
Bathtub Viking
post 29.Jan.2012, 09:26 AM
Post #21

I've been finding that it often isn't actually the Germans who do the hooning on the Autobahn. Lots of rental cars out there these days, driven by the rest of the world between tourist attractions or business meetings. I took my driver training in Germany, and the tenor really was then that the proper default speed on the Autobahn should be 130km/h for cars, and definitely less when the weather isn't right for it. In fog, there is even a mandatory 60km/h limit in some places on the Autobahn. You do get the odd macho of course, to whom anything less than redlining is for whuzzes, but by comparison with driving attitudes in many other countries, I've actually been finding the Germans to be on the cautious side.
+
BritVik
post 14.Feb.2012, 10:40 PM
Post #22

Having read the foregoing comments, I get the feeling that most who drive fast on the Autobahn do so in order to get from A to B before the fuel runs out laugh.gif

Mind you, I hope I'm never on an Autobahn when the Hugh Hefner backwards comes trotting along. No matter his said expertise at high speeds, to me he is an accident looking for somewhere to happen. He might find it worthwhile looking at another thread on the Forum concerning the end of life.

Personally I manage a pretty sedate 120, and find that considerably faster than when I drove an 18-wheeler, but then I had a little bit more weight that also commanded respect.

I have heard German people talking about their Autobahns, and of the times when something happens - resulting in I think the German is lange schlangen - or something like that. So it isn't always a case of speed.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 14.Feb.2012, 11:08 PM
Post #23

As much as I hate to admit it, the Danes are the only ones to have common sense speed controls...I mean their way works...errr, at least for me! cool.gif cool.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUU6DJwkoyQ...;has_verified=1
+
Mahmood
post 15.Feb.2012, 02:31 AM
Post #24

I think the cars should have 120kph speed locks instead of highways with speed limits. 120kph is a good enough speed for highway travel.
+
BritVik
post 15.Feb.2012, 09:49 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 14.Feb.2012, 11:08 PM) *
As much as I hate to admit it, the Danes are the only ones to have common sense speed controls...I mean their way works...errr, at least for me! cool.gif cool.gif

Well, here on the west coast, E6 when you get passed - and I do mean passed - by a much faster vehicle, it usually has either a Danish or Norwegian number plate, 18-wheeler lorries included ! ! Both nationalities appear to realise that the police won't bother to stop them, so hey ho speedo.
+
Mack
post 15.Feb.2012, 10:26 AM
Post #26

Why do people drive in Germany with speeds above 150km/h even when it is raining and wet with temperatures around 3 Degrees.

I was driving there yesterday in a rented crappy Fiat Panda. It was very wet, dark, I was pushing the little Panada to about 140 and people are flying by like I was standing still. I love driving fast but not when the conditions are so poor... but then again maybe I was just envious of every one in a better car. laugh.gif
+
Abe L
post 15.Feb.2012, 12:14 PM
Post #27

There is a significant difference between driving at those speeds in a Fiat Panda and a proper German car. Even with normal weather conditions I wouldn't feel confident driving 140+ in such a vehicle. Having lived in Germany for a few years with a daily commute at an average speed of 180KM/H regardless of road conditions but in a proper vehicle make me perfectly understand why this isn't a problem for most Germans.

Though I don't believe in fixed speed limits but rather variable ones based on traffic density, road and weather conditions. Most countries simply apply the notion of slower traffic, wether it's by vehicle or personal limitation, keeping to the right to let people with the ambition to drive faster pass on the left. Which is more then reasonable, fair and safe. For some reason Swedes consider it completely normal to drive 95 KM/H on the left lane on a 110 KM/H road with a 10+KM train of cars behind them.

It also doesn't help that there are no legal ways to indicate you want to overtake slower traffic in Sweden.
+
Mack
post 15.Feb.2012, 03:21 PM
Post #28

For some reason Swedes consider it completely normal to drive 95 KM/H on the left lane on a 110 KM/H road with a 10+KM train of cars behind them.

It is not just Swedes that think this is completely normal. North America is very bad for this as well. angry.gif

Back to my Fiat Panda story... a better car might help you survive a crash but a wet road affects all vehicles more or less the same. In France, the speed limit on the main highways is 130 in good conditions and 110 in wet. Other than being too low, it is a sensible approach.
+
John.Smith
post 16.Feb.2012, 07:46 AM
Post #29

I regularly drive in Germany (2-3 time a month) and have to say that when the autobahn works it is excellent. However it is that 1 time 10 when there is either an accident or road works and there is a 5 km tail back that leaves you stranded for a couple of hours... not so good.
I normally rent with Sixt and always book a bog standard VW Golf... I have never actually once received a Golf and always seems to come out with either an A6, 5 Series or something in that range.
With good weather you can easily cruise at 180kmph and do so very safely. The germans are safe drivers and I see more craziness on the roads up here on the E4.

Just handed back the keys to this baby yesterday evening smile.gif

Attached Image

+
Rick Methven
post 16.Feb.2012, 08:36 AM
Post #30

The germans are safe drivers and I see more craziness on the roads up here on the E4.

I agree that Germans are more disciplined drivers, they get out of the way when someone comes hurtling up behind them at 180kph, but there are still many idiots out there who will not pull in or will pull out without seeing the macho BMW driver coming along the outside lane. My father said something to me when I started driving 50 years ago that has kept me accident free (touch wood) for all those years of driving an average of 25,000 km a year in all conditions and in many countries around the world.

He said " Drive like every other driver on the road is an idiot, never think he will not make that manoeuvre, because he will"
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: