The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >   Reply to this topic

Any recommendations for a long-haul flight

Flying makes me nervious and I can't sleep

Stampe
post 10.Jun.2011, 03:29 PM
Post #31

Sleeping tablets arent recommended while flying, espeically to those who arent use to taking them normally.

The effects and risks are heightened due to the air pressure etc etc so while strong medication may seem like a nice idea its not really a smart one.
Go to the top of the page
+
annielee
post 10.Jun.2011, 03:34 PM
Post #32

@Stampe

The doctor prescribed me something called Atarax, they are not sleeping pills, its an antihistamine, he said it would help me to control the anxiety... should I test it before going just in case? Or the pressure would make a difference anyway?
+
TheOneWhoTravels
post 10.Jun.2011, 03:35 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (graphixperson @ 10.Jun.2011, 03:13 PM) *
That sounds like purgatory.

Yeah it was a middle section so none of us could even look out the window.
+
annielee
post 10.Jun.2011, 03:41 PM
Post #34

@TheOneWhoTravels
Weeell, sad but look at the bright side: you didnt have any option other than sleeping.
+
Stickeroo
post 10.Jun.2011, 03:44 PM
Post #35

Atarax is pretty decent, BUT when I was taking it I got super bad cotton mouth. You should pop one and see how you feel before you get on the plane and take it. There can be other side effects as well so you should test it for sure one night before you take it on a flight. There's no ambulance 30k feet over the pacific...and you don't want the staff making a "are there any doctors on board, please make yourself known to staff" call on your behalf.
+
TheOneWhoTravels
post 10.Jun.2011, 04:07 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (annielee @ 10.Jun.2011, 03:41 PM) *
@TheOneWhoTravels. Weeell, sad but look at the bright side: you didnt have any option other than sleeping.

Except for me 'cause I can't sleep on planes no matter how tired I am, lol. wink.gif

The only time I ever truly fell asleep while flying was on a flight with few other passengers. I put up the armrests in the whole row, and was able to lie down across multiple seats. But I can never truly sleep sitting up in an airplane seat unfortunately.
+
BaiBye
post 10.Jun.2011, 04:36 PM
Post #37

listen to musics.

stretch your arm, leg, waist, everything!

walk around a bit.

be optimistic, dont strain urself
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Jun.2011, 04:39 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (annielee @ 10.Jun.2011, 04:34 PM) *
@StampeThe doctor prescribed me something called Atarax, they are not sleeping pills, its an antihistamine, he said it would help me to control the anxiety... should I test it ... (show full quote)

The aircraft cabin (at 39-41,000 ft which is the flight level you will be at) will be around 5,000ft and the relative humidity around 30%. this means that you will be light headed just as if you where up a mountain and the aircon and super dry air will be sucking the moisture out of your body. which is why on long haul flights you must drink a lot of fluids, water not alcohol. Anti histamines will aggravate the condition and not to be recommended.
+
gplusa
post 10.Jun.2011, 06:26 PM
Post #39

The power outage saga reminds me of a time when we flew Sydney to London on Qantas/BA. About an hour into the flight one side of the cabin lost power. No lights, and no tv screens. One of the few times in my life that I've truely caught a break, the outage was on the opposite side of the plane to me. Must have been a hellish trip of those poor sods with us royalty merrily flicking our overhead lights on and off (because we could) and having races to see how quickly we could change tv channels.
+
Opalnera
post 11.Jun.2011, 12:08 AM
Post #40

QUOTE (Stampe @ 10.Jun.2011, 02:29 PM) *
Sleeping tablets arent recommended while flying, espeically to those who arent use to taking them normally.The effects and risks are heightened due to the air pressure etc etc ... (show full quote)

9 out of 10 flight attendants recommend it =)
+
graphixperson
post 11.Jun.2011, 02:54 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 10.Jun.2011, 04:39 PM) *
The aircraft cabin (at 39-41,000 ft which is the flight level you will be at) will be around 5,000ft and the relative humidity around 30%. this means that you will be light he ... (show full quote)

Don't drink the free booze? That's alcohol abuse!
+
SaraMx
post 11.Jun.2011, 03:05 AM
Post #42

@Stickeroo

I really LOVE to travel with KLM, their service is great and the aircraft (Boeing 747-400 MEX-AMS-MEX) is perfectly clean every time I travel. The attendants are very nice and more than a couple of times they have offered me things I didn't even ask (once a man was snoring beside me and she got me another seat, many times I have been the only one awake around -I can't sleep either- and the girl was constantly asking me if I wanted something to drink or to eat, if I was ok, if I'm afraid of flying, etc.), I usually travel with them every time I go from Mexico to Sweden or way back.
I can't get bored there: movies, tv shows, audiobooks, music albums, news, games, language courses...

Long flights suck anyway, I don't enjoy to be trapped in a silent box with a bunch of strangers. I prefer to listen to some audiobooks (love the ones dramatized and not simply read) or to write a bit, specially if I have things to do I like to plan in advance.
+
Sydneyswede
post 11.Jun.2011, 06:39 AM
Post #43

SaraMx...audiobooks..what a FAB idea..had never thought of that!! We always listened to them on long car trips in Aus when I was growing up...will have to look into that for the 30 hour journey home at Christmas..thanks!!!
+
TIBORFOTO MEDIA
post 11.Jun.2011, 08:30 AM
Post #44

Hi! Try to fly TURKISH AIRLINES! I did experienced on the flight to Bangkok via Istanbul.
Just check my blog, it's in Swedish but y'll understand what I mean...
http://res.se/blogg/tiborfoto/category/cointreau/
With respect. Mr. TIBORFOTO.com
+
Stampe
post 11.Jun.2011, 09:26 AM
Post #45

9 out of 10 flight attendants recommend it =)

Ever compared how long it takes to be a flight attendant compared to a doctor? tongue.gif
+

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: