The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Ryanair charges soar in 2012

Crazy Ryanair fees next year

ShaunD
post 11.Dec.2011, 10:24 AM
Post #1

I personally have had very good service from Ryanair since moving here to Sweden, after reading this though http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-...check-bags.html it's becoming less cost effective to fly with them now. They have to draw the line with these charges now as this is just crazy.

BA from Arlanda now on for me !!
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 11.Dec.2011, 10:59 AM
Post #2

I think that Ryan Air's business model is very much to target hand-luggage only flyers so avoid baggage handling costs and to get a quick 25 minute turnaorund - therefore they go with these crazy charges to discourage other groups

If you can book in advance it is well worth checking out the offers on other airlines - my brother's family got a £75 return deal with SAS off season and that included taxes and even food
+
swozzie
post 11.Dec.2011, 04:04 PM
Post #3

Not only that but the fare from Heathrow into central London is way cheaper than from Stansted.

Flying Ryan is depressing to say the least.
+
SimonDMontfort
post 11.Dec.2011, 04:15 PM
Post #4

...they offer some 'thought-provoking' calendars though laugh.gif
+
swozzie
post 11.Dec.2011, 04:31 PM
Post #5

Tackyyyyy dry.gif
+
swozzie
post 11.Dec.2011, 04:35 PM
Post #6

Actually I just booked a flight GOT - LHR on a tuesday next month for 46 quid ! No more Ryan for me

(Tuesdays are cheap on SAS)
+
SimonDMontfort
post 11.Dec.2011, 04:46 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (swozzie @ 11.Dec.2011, 03:31 PM) *
Tackyyyyy dry.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfIY24BErBE

Don't know if Ryanair is perhaps going just a tad down market (??) but O'Leary's reference to 'blow jobs' really is tacky. Dohh!
+
swozzie
post 11.Dec.2011, 04:50 PM
Post #8

a tad ? laugh.gif ya think ? laugh.gif

They don't call him O'Really for nothing
+
bobalong
post 11.Dec.2011, 07:02 PM
Post #9

I have always had good deals on Ryanair and could not flit back and forth with any other airline like I do with them.

I always take hand luggage and hardly ever a suitcase so it suits me fine. You will only have to pay up to £100 IF your 10kg luggage IS NOT 10kg which results in you putting it in the hold instead. If you are too stupid to weigh the bag before going to check in then its your own fault for paying more in my opinion. I think it is only beneficial to go with Ryanair if like me, you don't take a case.

If you are a bigger party and must take them then it pays to shop around as there are much cheaper deals on the market.

I switch between Ryanair ( Skavsta, Rygge and Sandefjord) and Easyjet ( Gothenburg) depending on time of travel, cost and whether I need buses and trains to get home if I don't go in the car. ( The car parking is a killer on long trips). SAS has never been economical for me and many others do not fly to where I need to be. Ryanair can be a bit like travelling cattle class when the plane is full, but for the price, I cannot grumble. Its not like I have to sit on the wing or anything, I have a seat!!! What more do you want?
+
Mib
post 11.Dec.2011, 07:03 PM
Post #10

Booked a family of 4 return to Stansted with Ryanair for just over 6000kr return including 2 child seats, 1 stroller, 3 luggage 2 at 20kg, 1 at 15kg. The flight times are very good and don't require getting out of bed at a ridiculous time or arriving too late home. BA wanted around 13 to 15,000kr to LHR. So, it's a no brainer for me. Ryanair has provided an excellent service in my personal experience. have flown all over Europe with them and while their prices have increased, they are normally much cheaper, especially when it comes to flying without the family.

Now...I normally prefer to fly with BA/SAS as it's more convenient to fly to LHR. I will pay a premium over Ryanair prices, but not 7000kr+!! Stange really as I have managed to get 6000kr return for the last 2 trips with SAS. Norwegian's times were too early and too late and more money.

Anyway...I have NO loyalty with any airline, I will go with price in combination with the airport and convenient times, Ironically, flying with BA in the past was always like playing roulette. You never knew what would be happening when you arrived at the airport. My colleagues from other countries who flew their main airline or KLM would always smile at me when I mentioned BA. When thesnow hit 2 years ago at Heathrow, BA cancelled all flights outo terminal 5 via one man shouting at the top of his voice to inform us all. A modern terminal and NOT using a speaker system!! SAS were still flying to Stockholm from Terminal 3!! Could not get through to BA customer services until 12 hours later to rebook a flight!! Absolute chaos...no coordination blah blah blah. So...while I suspect Ryanair would have been as bad and possibly worse...BA and the likes in that particuar situation were not very good. But...I'm sure people have had th opposite expeience.
+
Beavis
post 11.Dec.2011, 07:47 PM
Post #11

I see the article is from an eqally reputable newspaper..smile.gif
+
skogsbo
post 12.Dec.2011, 02:50 PM
Post #12

The price is hardly soaring, 25% up for baggage, they openly provide a budget service, if you a top line price that covers the works fly with someone else, they are not compulsary. I just dont get folk moaning about them.
+
London_Jim
post 12.Dec.2011, 03:27 PM
Post #13

I been using them for years - yeah, it's not like flying Virgin Atlantic Upper Class, but for a 90 minute flight for £50, who gives a toss.

Happy to pay more for SAS/BA when with son, otherwise I just go for cheapest option.
+
Rick Methven
post 12.Dec.2011, 03:46 PM
Post #14

On my own or with the wife, I use Ryanair as the price is right and I want to go to Gatwick. Last September when we took the son, his sambo and our 6 month old granddaughter, We took Norwegian from Arlanda as the 20kg hold baggage and the ability to pre book seats was worth the extra. Problem for me is that Arlanda is twice as far as Skavsta so more time and more cost.
+
Schomberg
post 12.Dec.2011, 05:27 PM
Post #15

Say what you want about Ryanair but without them we'd all still probably be paying rip off prices for flights. I remember flights from Belfast to London in the early 90's were almost £200 return! Now I'm cribbing about paying over £50 for it lol

They do what they say on the tin: hand luggage and it's still cheap. Best option for me still to get home via London to either Dublin or Londonderry.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: