The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Tax Free Help

Confusion on Tullverket

Movedtoswedenandgotstuck
post 15.Feb.2012, 11:13 AM
Post #1

Long story short. I'm traveling back to Oz for Easter, family get together, sunlight, etc... and I am wondering about the tax free shopping options available. I now have dual citizenship and reside in Sweden but will travel back for a couple of weeks in early April. I am considering buying a tablet Pc in Sweden and removing the tax (max 4300 kr utan moms, 5375kr normal retail) then taking it with me when I travel out of Sweden and the EU. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this (especially if you do have dual citizenship)? And what is the best method you have found for buying duty free? The other option is buying duty free in Oz, done that before. I've been looking through the website of tullverket, but I have not come across the magical page which may clarify my situation. Thanks for any info locallers can give.
Go to the top of the page
+
Abe L
post 15.Feb.2012, 12:23 PM
Post #2

Your citizenship makes no difference in terms of tax-free shopping. If you travel outside of the EU (Norway and Switzerland) excluded you simply are not obligated to pay VAT when you make purchases up to a certain number. In most places there is a local "tullverket" equivalence where you can reclaim the VAT you payed. In your case it's probably easiest to make your purchase either in Oz or on intermediate layover airports (recommend the latter, you wouldn't pay the taxes/vat in the first place).

I purchase stuff (including electronics/tablets) abroad all the time due to the horrendous prices and taxes in Europe and just reclaim VAT at the airport on the way back.
Go to the top of the page
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: