The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Driving from London to Gothenburg

UK student starting in August 2012

stanrogo
post 5.Mar.2012, 01:00 AM
Post #1

Hi everyone!

Hopefully as of August 20th I shall be a student at the University of Gothenburg smile.gif

Now I've been looking all over the place and just can't seem to find the answer anywhere so I think I'll ask you guys. Has anyone ever driven from London or anywhere else In the UK to anywhere in Sweden? Even if not, it would be great if you could tell me what is the best route to take (bearing in mind only one overnight stop would be preferable and how much (including petrol and hotel) this is likely to be? I know that it roughly takes about 16 hours (according to Tom) but maybe other people could tell me more?

Plus my Mum is doing the driving so I can just sit back and relax ;-)

Thanks everyone!
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 5.Mar.2012, 01:04 AM
Post #2

Why not take the boat?
It's cheaper than the cost of fuel, Hotels and boat crossings in Denmark and goes from London (tillbury) to GBG.

Otherwise basically I can tell you the train stop route of spots often used.

London.
Bruxelles
Cologne
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Malmo
Gothenburg
+
stanrogo
post 5.Mar.2012, 01:14 AM
Post #3

Ah yes, just been on the dfds tor line website and found out that it is £800 for 2 people with a car. Great...

And when visiting my parents back home I think I shall be going by rail very often so thanks for that.
+
BritVik
post 5.Mar.2012, 01:22 AM
Post #4

My car route some years back was from Cambridge - Harwich, ferry to Hoek van Holland, then across Holland, Germany- Bremen, Hamburg, - Flensburg into Denmark and up to Fredrikshavn then ferry to Göteborg. Slept on the Harwich ferry, then took it 'non-stop' the rest of the way. No good my quoting actual times and costs since this was back in the late 90's. But with motorways and autobahns most of the way you can do it - with a stop now and then for a nap in the car.

If you have a Tom Tom or something similar you can plan your route that way - making sure that the blue routes ARE motorways and not rivers. biggrin.gif

An alternative to a GPS is the Microsoft Autoroute program, or similar, which can give you a print-out of your route with times, fuel cost and distance.
+
skogsbo
post 5.Mar.2012, 07:47 AM
Post #5

aa route finder may help.

The question really is how confident is your mum driving on the left, what speed will she average and how many hours could she do this for in a day. There are probably dozens of routes. I've done ferries straight to GBG, and ferries to Rotterdam and driven the rest to southern Sweden (nearly 900 UK miles, each way).

None are cheap, it's a balance of time and comfort. If you are prepared to sit at 110-130kph+ across europe in an economical car, taking very short breaks, then ferry to mainland Europe maybe your best bet.

If your mum is likely to be fed with driving by the time she is there, then the ferry to GBG or Denmark is your better bet. The ferry does the work while you BOTH sit back.
+
pauldavid
post 5.Mar.2012, 08:29 AM
Post #6

It's all very dependant on how much searching you are willing to do, i normally drive over to London about twice a year and it's nearly always a different route, but i have never stopped in a hotel overnight onc, i live in Stockholm so i have a few more hours of a drive then you but the crossing is still the same,the last time i went was back inj january and on my outward journey i went via Esberg in denmark to Harwich, it's quite expensive(about 250 pounds one way) and you also have to take into account the two toll bridges which are about 35 pounds each from sweden to denmark, then there is the petrol which works out at about 1,35p a litre in english and you need to know your own car to figure the milage per mile.
the way i came back and this is the way i would recommend is the dfds FREIGHT ferry from Immingham direct to Gothenburg, its got some disadvantages, its a long journey,about 20 hours on the boat,and i think it was about 300 pounds one way but,its direct to Gothenburg so you have no toll bridges (nearly 140 pounds saving right there return) hardly any driving in sweden,no need of a hotel.. of course that depends on where in the uk you are leaving from.
on top of that there is also the sealink ferry from the hook of holland to Harwich, which is a cheap enough boat but then you have to drive through holland, northern germany,demnark(and the bridges) and then a few hours in sweden, basically there is no cheap way to do it, but i have done all of them and if you wanna ask about it gimme a call, paul on 0046767891661.
there is also the point that it can be a bit of a laugh to actually make a journey out of it and see a few places if you have a day or two to spare
+
Nicklouse
post 5.Mar.2012, 09:18 AM
Post #7

london to Gothenberg is about 24 hours no stopping and no ferrys. (euro star) done it many times. fuel etc well you know the distance (tomtom) and you know what you can get out of a tankfull.

it is long and boring.
the "truck" ferry (only done the Immingham - Goteborg one) Long and boring but you can drink and watch movies on the PC sleep etc...

other options are as mentioned Harwich to Esberg and then drive all the way. but options of ferrys on that route allows alternatives.

all ways take time and have there problems.
+
Snood
post 5.Mar.2012, 09:25 AM
Post #8

I drove from Reading to Gothenburg last summer to bring all my stuff over when I moved here. I drove to Dover, took the ferry to Calais then drove the rest of the way. It's the longest driving route option but at the time, with a full van, it was the cheapest way for me to go. I took a friend with me and we drove non-stop except for drink, fuel and toilet stops. As has been pointed out, there's two bridges to pay toll on and then there's the cost of the ferry and fuel.

On the return journey (to return the hired van) I used the channel tunnel as the van was then under the weight regulations for using the passenger train.

In all the return trip cost me a bit over £1000 including van hire. On the way back I also stopped in a few cities with my friend for a mini holiday to say thanks to him for making the long trip with me... I didn't count this cost in how much it cost me to move.
+
pauldavid
post 5.Mar.2012, 09:29 AM
Post #9

I really didnt mind the immingham freight crossing, the cabin was decent,it was a long crossing but i got on the boat at 3am so got to sleep then and then again that evening before arriving in gothenburg early the next morning. the food was free and nice, there was unlimited tea and the t.v lounge room thingy had british tv the whole crossing.
not to mention a dvd player and a few films thrown in!
i think the next time i go that will be the way, it saved on loads of driving too :-)
+
skogsbo
post 5.Mar.2012, 10:03 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (pauldavid @ 5.Mar.2012, 08:29 AM) *
i think the next time i go that will be the way, it saved on loads of driving too :-)

you arrive fresher to continue the onward journey, holiday or unload your van... what ever your purpose. Driving via the continent is fine, but it does take it out of you bit.
OP - Make sure you factor in unloading time and some rest for you mam when booking the return ferry. When I drove a truck over with our stuff, I left it a bit tight, got to our house in Sweden at 7am, unloaded about 30cubic metres of contents, then had to leave for continent at 3pm. Took the fun out of what some have already mentioned can be an enjoyable road trip.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: