The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Trip to USA

Traveling to America in the summer

smaximo
post 8.Mar.2012, 09:21 PM
Post #1

Hej,
I've to travel in the summer to America, New York and Boston around June and knowing that there are some people here that come from there, can anyone help with journey planning, like best companies to travel with, places to stay on New York (Manhattan) and the best way to travel from New York to Boston (New Bedford).
Thanks for any help and advice.
Go to the top of the page
+
Abe L
post 9.Mar.2012, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Is the trip for business or pleasure?

Either way, SAS flies directly to New York (Newark) from Stockholm and you can choose to either fly, take a train or drive to Boston from New York. You'll probably find train to be the most economically affordable and comfortable unless you find a discounted plane ticket. You can choose to fly back from Boston either via Chicago or New York with United/SAS to Stockholm or through Amsterdam with KLM.

For hotels in either city, use one of the many websites such as booking.com.
+
PDX
post 9.Mar.2012, 03:06 PM
Post #3

The best way to travel within the USA is absolutely by NetJets, see:

http://www.netjets.com

The Mandarin Oriental hotel in New York has nice suites that overlook Manhattan and the Central Park smile.gif

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/

~~~PDX~~~
+
johnjohn
post 9.Mar.2012, 04:17 PM
Post #4

You can take a bus from NYC to New Bedford, Peter Pan bus lines. Amtrak train NYC to Boston. You will enjoy Boston.
+
Marmi
post 9.Mar.2012, 09:15 PM
Post #5

Icelandair has the best route to the US East Coast. Why anyone from Stockholm would fly via Chicago is beyond me. Icelandair flies Stockholm-Reykjavik-Boston/New York and you can mix and match such as flying in to New York, and then flying back from Boston. Layover in Iceland is about an hour, and both legs of the flights are at a very comfortable length of time. The optimal flight Sweden-US East Coast if you ask me.

I recommend you book your airline tickets asap, cause ticket prices are gonna go up with the fast rising of gas prices.

Icelandair Swedish Website

Icelandair US Website

As has been mentioned before, the train from NYC Penn Station is the easiest way to get to Boston South Station, and just take the commuter bus from South Station to New Bedford.

Amtrak website For train schedules, and tickets NYC-Boston

Dattco Bus website Commuter bus schedule Boston-New Bedford.

I live in Boston (and I'm pretty familiar with New York), so feel free to ask me any questions you might have. smile.gif
+
CTIDinÅrsta
post 9.Mar.2012, 10:09 PM
Post #6

Delta have run direct routes from Stockholm to JFK in the summer before. Don't know if they will do it again this year. Otherwise they go via Amsterdam with KLM or Paris wit about a 9 am flight from Arlanda.

With Iceland air you can usually break up the trip and stay over in Reykjavik at no extra cost.
+
willowsdad
post 9.Mar.2012, 10:54 PM
Post #7

Contrary to popular belief, the Northeast is really boring and uptight. I should know, I come from there. Go to New Orleans--lots more fun.
+
Abe L
post 12.Mar.2012, 03:06 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Marmi @ 9.Mar.2012, 09:15 PM) *
Icelandair has the best route to the US East Coast. Why anyone from Stockholm would fly via Chicago is beyond me. Icelandair flies Stockholm-Reykjavik-Boston/New York and you ... (show full quote)

For business travel it's quite simple due to the fact that Iceland Air is an 'ok' airline, but they have a horrible frequent flyer program and are not part of a major airline alliance. It's fine for flying leisure or if your primary destination is Iceland.

Which leaves the next problem, they don't have a very large fleet and since there are virtually no other airlines they can't rebook you in the event of a cancelled flight. You'll generally have to spend the night there, this happened to me twice on the 6 or 7 orso trans-atlantic layovers I made in KEF.
+
Marmi
post 12.Mar.2012, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Well, I've been flying with Iceland Air a couple of times a year for a little over ten years, and have never had a flight cancelled, and only once was a flight very late, but I still didn't miss my connection, cause the connecting flights don't leave before before all planes are in (I came from Boston, and all planes connecting to Europe waited in the Boston plane).

I don't care much for frequent flier programs, so that's not at all a deal breaker for me. For me it's all about convenience, and it doesn't get much more convenient than it is with Iceland Air, at least not for me. smile.gif
+
Investor612
post 12.Mar.2012, 09:18 PM
Post #10

I agree that Icelandair is the best way to go back and forth from the US to Sweden-I fly from Minneapolis to Stockholm.
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 12.Mar.2012, 09:20 PM
Post #11

While I don't have any recommendations about how to get to NYC, I certainly would recommend renting a car if you have a license which permits you to drive in the States, and pick a route that gets you to Boston without going along the coast as it will be jammed with all the summer people. Go to places like Poughkeepsie, Bantam, Lenox, Sturbridge. Princeton, and then on to Boston. Much pettier, and a relaxed way to going than just on the ugly interstate.

Oh, I too recommend Icelandic Air. Has better service and food, and has a more extended time in going and returning - what is especially desirable on the way back as it gives you another hour or so to sleep - what I never thought was desirable until I took it.
+
smaximo
post 28.Mar.2012, 09:55 AM
Post #12

Thanks for all the comments and help, I think I have a picture of what to go for. Icelandair it seemed to be a really good option, not without flaws as I can see from some people, but if everything goes out well with travelling and timetables periods it's the best option to fly directly to Boston and then taking the train to NYC, returning from the same path... it might be quiet cool to arrive NYC from the Grand Central Station wink.gif
+
Dev
post 18.Apr.2012, 07:15 PM
Post #13

I think Delta is starting its Arlanda-JFK route from May 25th this year. You might want to check it. I think they have a few offers on as well.

/Dev
+
Marmi
post 18.Apr.2012, 07:39 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (smaximo @ 28.Mar.2012, 10:55 AM) *
...o fly directly to Boston and then taking the train to NYC, returning from the same path... it might be quiet cool to arrive NYC from the Grand Central Station wink.gif

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the train from Boston doesn't arrive at GCS, it comes in at Penn Station. GCS only have local train traffic. wink.gif
+
Megalagom
post 18.Apr.2012, 07:47 PM
Post #15

Where in Sweden are you? If you are in Southern Sweden I know whenever I go home I just go to the Copenhagen airport since it is so much closer and the train station is attached to the airport, so it is super easy.

From there Delta flies directly to JFK (8-9 hours). I just bought a July ticket through them for 7k kr, round trip, which was the cheapest I found and the shortest flight. SAS only goes to Newark which is a hassle/expensive cab ride to get to the city from. Icelandair is usually pretty cheap, if you are alright with a layover and longer flight.

I would recommend only flying to JFK, it is more central than LGA. The airtrain from JFK would hook you up with the "A" or the "J" train, which both go to the city. The cabs outside the airport have a flat fee of $40USD (300kr?) to drive anywhere in the city, which is a good deal, especially if it is your first time- but sometimes there is a long line.

I've only taken the bus to Boston because it was way cheaper than the train, it was a long ride but not so bad.

Lycka Till!
SomethingSwedish
~Meg
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: