The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Driving to London.routes and costs

From Malmo

dalkennywhufc
post 12.Mar.2012, 11:59 AM
Post #1

Hi
I am an expat from London,England and have never driven from Malmo to London,i was wondering if anyone has taken this trip by car? if so what routes are best and where do i need to take ferries/crossings/tolls and what are the costs involved? many thanks for any help/answers given.
Are there any webites with ths upto date informaton?
many thanks
Darren
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 12.Mar.2012, 02:07 PM
Post #2

There are essentially 2 ways to go.

1. Over the bridge to Denmark then down to Rodby and the ferry to putgarden then drive to Calais and the ferry to Dover and up to London

This is a 1300km drive taking 2 or 3 days

Costs - one way

Öresundbron 179 kr
Ferry Rodby-Putgarden 792 kr
Ferry Calais- Dover 375kr
Plus petrol +/- 1500 kr
Plus overnight stop and 2 days food +/- 1200kr

Total +/- 4,000 kr

From experience it will take you 6 hours to get to Germany with waiting for Ferries so leaving at 06:00 you will not get to Puttgarden before midday you then have a 900km drive through Germany Holland, Belgium and France to Calais which takes around 12 hours with pit stops and traffic. So you will need to overnight on the way. The best I have done it was around 36 hours and completely knackered at the end.

2. The way I am going in July is via Esbjerg to Harwich ferry

over the Öresundbron and Storebelt to Esbjerg 335 km the from Harwich to London 140 km total driving 475 km

Cost one way

Öresundbron 179kr
Storebelt 276 kr

Ferry +/- 3,500 kr depending on what cabin you take

petrol +/- 500kr

Total around 4,500kr

The ferry leaves Esbjerg at 18:45 and gets into Harwich at 12:00 the next day so you can do the whole trip in 24hrs easily and relaxed with a night on the boat smile.gif
+
Nicklouse
post 12.Mar.2012, 02:17 PM
Post #3

put your detail into google maps if you dont have a sat nav.
options.
Bridge bridge train
Bridge bridge ferry
Bridge bridge ferry
Bridge ferry train
Bridge ferry ferry.

costs Depends on what you are driving.

all of them have good web sites showing costs. and google/sat nav gives distances.
+
Johno
post 12.Mar.2012, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Öresundbron 179 kr seemed low, but checking I see thats with a BroPass with an annual fee. Cheaper providing you make more than 1 return trip a year. So I have learnt a little more. Never too old for that.
+
skogsbo
post 12.Mar.2012, 03:48 PM
Post #5

cheap flight to stansted etc. and car hire, will probably be cheaper, but may not suit your needs.
+
Meggity
post 12.Mar.2012, 11:07 PM
Post #6

I will be doing the same journey but in reverse in a few months.

The most expensive, but easier was the Esbjerg - Harwich ferry.

Next expensive was by road via Denmark and the bridges, through to France and Dunkirk - Dover ferry with two nights stay in hotels.

The cheapest which we will be doing is via ferry from Trelleborg to Travemunde (Germany) and then through to Dunkirk. This also includes two hotel stays, but is easier on the dog travelling with us!
+
Willy
post 12.Mar.2012, 11:42 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 12.Mar.2012, 02:07 PM) *
There are essentially 2 ways to go.. 1. Over the bridge to Denmark then down to Rodby and the ferry to putgarden then drive to Calais and the ferry to Dover and up to London

You can also go over the Great Belt Bridge and continue towards Germany on Jutland/Jylland. 200 km longer, but the bridge is cheaper than the Rødby–Puttgarden ferry.

From experience it will take you 6 hours to get to Germany with waiting for Ferries so leaving at 06:00 you will not get to Puttgarden before midday you then have a 900km driv ... (show full quote)

Well, Malmö is a lot further south than Linköping. Malmö–Rødby is an easy two-hour drive. All motorway, mostly 130 km/h. If you leave at 6 am, you have a good shot at making the 8.15 ferry and you'll be in Puttgarden at 9 am.

2. The way I am going in July is via Esbjerg to Harwich ferry...The ferry leaves Esbjerg at 18:45 and gets into Harwich at 12:00 the next day so you can do the whole trip in 2 ... (show full quote)

You certainly can't beat that option in terms of convenience.

QUOTE (Johno @ 12.Mar.2012, 02:26 PM) *
Öresundbron 179 kr seemed low, but checking I see thats with a BroPass with an annual fee. Cheaper providing you make more than 1 return trip a year. So I have learnt a littl ... (show full quote)

And if you have a BroPass from the Öresund Bridge, you can use it to pay for the Great Belt Bridge as well.

QUOTE (Meggity @ 12.Mar.2012, 11:07 PM) *
I will be doing the same journey but in reverse in a few months.The most expensive, but easier was the Esbjerg - Harwich ferry.Next expensive was by road via Denmark and the b ... (show full quote)

I guess there's also Hoek van Holland–Harwich? A lot less to drive. No idea about the price though...

QUOTE (Meggity @ 12.Mar.2012, 11:07 PM) *
The cheapest which we will be doing is via ferry from Trelleborg to Travemunde (Germany) and then through to Dunkirk. This also includes two hotel stays, but is easier on the ... (show full quote)

You also have Malmö–Travemünde with Finnlines. In addition to Malmö being easier to get to if you come from the north, in my experience, they have

-- Lower prices than TT-Line (Trelleborg–Travemünde).
-- Friendly staff.
-- A sensibly prized buffet.
-- Free sauna! laugh.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Mar.2012, 06:10 AM
Post #8

I guess there's also Hoek van Holland–Harwich? A lot less to drive. No idea about the price though...

That's the way we are coming back Harwich - hook and Kiel to Gothenburg.

Harwich to the Hook is £115 for the day boat and an extra £50 for a cabin on the night boat.

Kiel to Gothenburg is £227 plus cabin - we have comfort class including breakfast £151.
+
domc
post 13.Mar.2012, 09:48 AM
Post #9

After the threat of liquid bombs on flights in 2006 we had to drive the same route and went via Calais given we had a car to use and no flight options. It took us 13 hours, setting off at 7pm and arriving for croisants from our local bakery in London for breakfast. We had two drivers so was pretty constant going.
+
JulieLou40
post 13.Mar.2012, 10:40 AM
Post #10

OP, why don't you fly instead? it seems an awful lot of hassle to drive!
+
gplusa
post 13.Mar.2012, 10:47 AM
Post #11

I was wondering that myself. Seemed more expensive and time consuming. I assumed that there must have been several people travelling in the car. With a few extra stuffed in the boot. The only way it made any sense to me.
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Mar.2012, 11:44 AM
Post #12

generally, it is far cheaper to fly & hire a car. I am taking my own car because we want to do some stopovers in Holland and Germany as well as being able to fill the boot with cheap booze on the way back tongue.gif
+
JulieLou40
post 13.Mar.2012, 12:20 PM
Post #13

..But have you worked out whether the amount you will save with the cheap booze will be negated by the extra travel expenses, or not?
+
ameribrit
post 13.Mar.2012, 12:42 PM
Post #14

If you use the channel tunnel you can get a cheap day return or overnight return,(depending on when) that is often cheaper than any ferry even if you don't use the return.
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Mar.2012, 01:23 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (JulieLou40 @ 13.Mar.2012, 12:20 PM) *
..But have you worked out whether the amount you will save with the cheap booze will be negated by the extra travel expenses, or not?

It is a VFR&BB trip ( visit friends and relations & a bit of business) smile.gif

On the way out I shall be seeing a client in Denmark and on the way back I shall be seeing a friend in Holland and seeing a client there and another in Germany

I also plan to see a client in the UK so than I can claim it as a business expense. (with a bit of personal mileage) so the cheap booze is a nice added extra
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: