The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Europark fine in Holland

To pay or not to pay?

Osav
post 20.Aug.2012, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Hi guys,

I was travelling in Europe for 3 weeks and got parking fine in Rotterdam, Holland. We overstayed only 5 minutes and found a ticket for 58 EUR!

Two weeks later I got a letter in Swedish, sent from Frankfurt, with demand to pay them in SEK to SEB account in Sweden.

Ticket issued by private parking company Europark, based in London.

What if I ignore them, because I do not think that their fine is reasonable? I suggest that private owned company should go to court and prove the loss of profit, which is in my case is only 0.5 EUR.

Does anyone have experience with them? Can they sell the "debt" to collectors in Sweden, and even if they do, is there a legal ground for this? I think the collectors can't demand it as well, without a court decision ?

Any ideas about this?
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 20.Aug.2012, 02:33 PM
Post #2

Your argumentation is astoundingly sound and flaweless unsure.gif so go on and burn it. You can always claim that fire consumed that ticket and there was nothing you could do.

~~~PDX~~~
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 20.Aug.2012, 02:43 PM
Post #3

I don't know how it works in Holland, but if I were you I'd check out whether or not it really is a fine. This is a UK based company you say. I know that in the UK they can only send invoices inviting you pay a charge, but the sneaky buggers dress them up to look like fines. They have no legal standing and current legal advice (in the UK) is to ignore them because you are under no obligation to pay and even if it went to court it would be thrown out. That said, the rules in Holland may be different.

So double check with the local authority in Holland, is this a fine or is this an invoice.
+
Yorkshireman
post 20.Aug.2012, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Hmmm ... If You do not contest the debt, there are standard processes across EU, with exactly the same in each country ... there is:

- European Order for Payment; a quick way to recover uncontested debt across the EU
- European Enforcement Order; a procedure for enforcing an uncontested judgement in another country

If You contest the debt, then they have to go to court and follow the lengthier procedure for recovery, which is more-or-less standard across europe.

There is even a European Small Claims Procedure for claims under 2.000 Euro.
+
PDX
post 20.Aug.2012, 03:02 PM
Post #5

You can find the authorisation documents that legally allow Europark to collect the unpaid parking fines in the link below. For Netherlands, the counties/cities of Eindhoven, Groningen, Haarlem, Rotterdam and Veere have done this.

http://www.epcplc.com/authorities.php

For Rotterdam, the relevant document would be:

http://www.epcplc.com/global/pdf/rotterdam.pdf

Is this convincing enough as to where you stand legally ?

~~~PDX~~~
+
post 20.Aug.2012, 03:26 PM
Post #6

In which case he's fucked. Better pay up now before they start adding costs on top of the fine.
+
skogsbo
post 20.Aug.2012, 04:25 PM
Post #7

the same company collects road tolls from Norway, for cars that are registered elsewhere. I've had several letters sent here (sweden), for road tolls I've accrued on skiing trips to Norway. They obviously have the means to get driving records across all borders. They seem very well set up, in records efficient online payments, different language forms etc..

I paid up, as I didn't fancy the car registration number being somehow flagged up on the Norwegian Police system as none payment road tolls, then next time I'm there I get pulled over by the Police and fined further. But, it did seem fair, I drove on the roads and it wasn't a fortune either.
+
John.Smith
post 21.Aug.2012, 08:07 AM
Post #8

Yes they have the power to enforce the fine. Pay it and be done with it before they start adding hefty penalties for late payment.
+
Rick Methven
post 21.Aug.2012, 08:27 AM
Post #9

If you do not pay, you better not go to Holland again. over 30 years ago, when living in Holland, I was leaving Schipol airpost on a business trip when the passport check flagged an outstanding parking fine. I had to pay it in cash before I could leave the country sad.gif
+
Osav
post 21.Aug.2012, 11:40 AM
Post #10

Thanks for all comments...

So, at their home in UK one can ignore them, but not in Holland, where city hall granted them the right to collect the parking fees?

It’s hard to say if its invoice or a fine, it has the logo of "Gemeente Rotterdam", and named "KontrollavgiIt".

I have own business and I know how hard, almost impossible a make pay a business customer from another country.

But when it comes to parking these bloodsuckers are free to impose 100X fines for 5 min overstay and one has no chance to fight with them?
They have a good business… And perhaps enormous fines are important part of their income.
+
PDX
post 21.Aug.2012, 12:52 PM
Post #11

No you cannot ignore these parking fees in the UK either - the link I gave has authorization documents for some locations in that country as well.

~~~PDX~~~
+
post 21.Aug.2012, 09:49 PM
Post #12

PDX is correct, sorry I meant to say that in the UK you can ignore it if it relates to parking on private property. If it relates to parking on the streets or council property and they are the appointed agents then it is a fine. Sainsbury's carpark = ignore, council owned carpark = pay up.

<note to self: pay more attention in future>
+
50öre
post 22.Aug.2012, 05:07 AM
Post #13

Better find out if it is a real ticket or a fake ticket. Maybe there could be a fraudster who just kept a fine note on the car by looking your SE number plate. Maybe he kept on many cars too like yours. Bastards, now a days there are fake invoices been sent everywhere possible. There was recently an incident in Sweden who sent thousands of fake fakturor for many people through post. Each faktura costs 7 sek hardly with postage. There will always be some fools who pay blindly afraid of Kronofogden.

There was a car from Lithuania who parked in the besökare parking where I live. The Qpark was adding fines. He got 3 fines one above the other since 3 days. He doesn't care because Qpark doesn't sent bills outside Sweden. Even if sent, he ignores as law is very lenient. Before they tow his car he will move it for sure, I know.
+
skogsbo
post 22.Aug.2012, 08:25 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (50öre @ 22.Aug.2012, 05:07 AM) *
Better find out if it is a real ticket or a fake ticket. Maybe there could be a fraudster who just kept a fine note on the car by looking your SE number plate.

I think the give away is when you go to the Europark website and put in your account/refernce number. I think they have contracts with state agencies across northern Europe, so it's unlikely to be a scam.
+
sometimesinsweden
post 22.Aug.2012, 01:25 PM
Post #15

you dont necessarily have to pay it if your car is registered in the UK.

i got couple of 750kr parking tickets for parking overnight in an ICA carpark when there was no available street parking...4 years later heard nothing and ive been in and out of the country with the same car 10s of times. the DVLA charges european parking enforcement agencies for driver info, so many wont bother paying for this if the fine is relatively small,

in the case of the original poster...id hang on and wait for the next letter - you wont get a huge add-on fine without being warned first and there is a chance they may just let it slide and have sent the first payment request out to chance it.

when you get the second letter, try and contest it with head office.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: