The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Ban on Dual Nationality

SD says Capital NO to dual citizenship

Martian
post 27.Aug.2018, 04:03 PM
Post #1

Vote for SD and get yourself renounced of all your other citizenship(s) if you want to keep your Swedish citizenship. If you are still thinking of voting for them, think again.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/m6jbJv...eportage-i-finl

https://www.thelocal.se/20180827/dual-natio...ebate-in-sweden
Go to the top of the page
+
Martian
post 27.Aug.2018, 04:37 PM
Post #2

"Norway is currently the only Nordic country which does not permit dual citizenship, and one of only three countries in Europe, together with Austria and The Netherlands, who do not allow dual citizenship."

The quote above is quickly countered here:
https://www.thelocal.no/20180824/norway-sen...l-to-parliament

While other countries are moving away from stone age, Sweden is about to go back there!
+
Saywhatwhat
post 27.Aug.2018, 06:15 PM
Post #3

Was this really a platform SD was standing on? What is their reasoning?

Seems like a pretty wonderful way to lose votes from immigrants with dual citizenship and Swedes with dual citizenship that is non Scandinavian
+
john.boy
post 27.Aug.2018, 06:17 PM
Post #4

And in times of conflict which nation does your loyalties sit with, especially when either can call you up for military duty?

Personally I have no issue with SD, or any country for that matter, having the 1 citizenship rule, it make perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is EU Citizenship!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 27.Aug.2018, 06:24 PM
Post #5

You are or you are not...

Ambiguity can be problematic...
+
Saywhatwhat
post 27.Aug.2018, 06:46 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (john.boy @ 27.Aug.2018, 07:17 PM) *
And in times of conflict which nation does your loyalties sit with, especially when either can call you up for military duty?Personally I have no issue with SD, or any country ... (show full quote)

Other than the war example, highly unlikely considering swedns "neutral" stance, what makes sense about it?

There is still a military draft in Sweden?? And other European countries?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 27.Aug.2018, 06:54 PM
Post #7

Security clearances although unusual could be a problem, jobs requiring citizenship and if you have a problem with a country which is not yours, I don't think either of your citizen countries will really go "all out" for you should a problem arise...

What a red tape football that would be!!!
+
Martian
post 27.Aug.2018, 07:01 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 27.Aug.2018, 07:24 PM) *
You are or you are not.... Ambiguity can be problematic...

There is nothing ambiguous about having more than one citizenship. Using your logic, it means anyone that inherits dual citizenship at birth from both parents is ambiguous?
+
Bsmith
post 27.Aug.2018, 07:13 PM
Post #9

Seems to me that there are other issues that are much more important to the public than this one.
+
Martian
post 27.Aug.2018, 07:16 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (john.boy @ 27.Aug.2018, 07:17 PM) *
And in times of conflict which nation does your loyalties sit with, especially when either can call you up for military duty?Personally I have no issue with SD, or any country ... (show full quote)

SD fan boy spotted. The last major war ended since 1945, so the probability of this happening is 1 in a million. The next major war will not really care about your loyalty. Nuclear weapons don't care about anything like that.

EU citizenship doesn't make sense to you but let's see how well Sweden will fair after SD leads her out of EU. And don't starting bringing Brexit into this. Its still a work in progress.
+
Martian
post 27.Aug.2018, 07:22 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 27.Aug.2018, 08:13 PM) *
Seems to me that there are other issues that are much more important to the public than this one.

Name them?

The fact that it is not important to you doesn't mean it is the same for others. Even if it doesn't affect you because you are already old enough to be my grandpa, it will affect your children cos I believe they inherited American citizenship from you and Swedish citizenship from their mother.
+
Svea.alan
post 27.Aug.2018, 07:33 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Martian @ 27.Aug.2018, 05:37 PM) *
"Norway is currently the only Nordic country which does not permit dual citizenship, and one of only three countries in Europe, together with Austria and The Netherlands, ... (show full quote)

Norway is also switching to dual citizenship, the law has been endorsed by all political parties including so called right wing “fascist” parties. The law is currently at final stages awaiting parliament’s approval.
+
Martian
post 27.Aug.2018, 07:37 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Svea.alan @ 27.Aug.2018, 08:33 PM) *
Norway is also switching to dual citizenship, the law has been endorsed by all political parties including so called right wing “fascist” parties. The law is currently at ... (show full quote)

Oh yea. I posted a link to the Norwegian thelocal article about that.
+
Apache001
post 27.Aug.2018, 07:41 PM
Post #14

Another outlandish ideology from SD. How do they intend to pass this into law when there are many children in Sweden born with dual citizenship.
I am going to protest against this with my last blood. Citizenship is not only about benefits and loyalty, it’s also about root and identity. Any government that tries to rip its children of their identities will be met with public aggression.
+
Martian
post 27.Aug.2018, 07:44 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Apache001 @ 27.Aug.2018, 08:41 PM) *
Another outlandish ideology from SD. How do they intend to pass this into law when there are many children in Sweden born with dual citizenship. I am going to protest against ... (show full quote)

+1000
+

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: