The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Request to have passport returned

What are the waiting times?

newkidontheblock
post 17.Jul.2019, 09:01 AM
Post #1

Hi everyone,

I have applied for citizenship (EU citizen) and sent in my passport. The Migrationsverket site says "We send out the passports and residence permit cards within 15 workdays after you send in the form".

Well in my case it has been longer than that, and I still don't have my passport. I sent them messages and tried calling, but I just get re-directed or told there are a couple of weeks wait time.

Problem is I live in Malmo and have to go to Copenhagen for work, and have been unable to as they don't accept Skatteverket ID (I don't have my home country ID as they didn't allow it if you are a resident of another country). I also had to reschedule a trip.

I am getting married in a few weeks and will need my passport - what are my choices here?
Is there some way to speed them up, or should I just go to the embassy and claim my passport stolen/lost to be re-issued a new one? I am pretty upset about this because it is not their property and it's an important document I can't do without.

Thank you!
Go to the top of the page
+
iamaho
post 17.Jul.2019, 09:31 AM
Post #2

I experienced a similar situation.

You should go to Migrationsverket’s website and log in with your BankID to your case. Then you will be able to send them a private message stating that you need your passport returned by a certain date, as you have travel plans.

I messaged them and then called them (it is not easy to reach them but keep trying) and just tell them you need your passport back. They will state the standard time required but tell them that you’ve already waited longer than that.

When I did that, they sent out the passport the next day and I received it 2 days later.

Good luck.
+
newkidontheblock
post 17.Jul.2019, 10:14 AM
Post #3

Hi!

Thanks for the tip - I will include the travel date in the message as well. Also will continue calling. I just spoke to my embassy and they seem to have had a lot of calls with same issue so clearly something is up with their sendout situation.

Fingers crossed smile.gif
+
newkidontheblock
post 18.Jul.2019, 10:22 AM
Post #4

UPDATE:

So now I have sent another message stating exact times of travel (again) and they got back saying it hasn't been 15 workdays - which is a damn lie! It's been over 18 workdays and they just seem to be disregarding me. This is costing me money and my work is not happy about this.

----

In addition, today I have received in mail that I need to send in a signed application (not sure if it was just a generic mailout), but I already sent them a full set of documents and signed application together with my passport a month ago. My account hasn't been updated since I applied.

I really have no idea how to go about this? Should I just keep sending messages? I can't get through on the phone, calls keep getting shut off.
+
iamaho
post 18.Jul.2019, 07:29 PM
Post #5

It is best to call them and ask personally.
It is frustrating to be constantly disconnected, but keep trying. Best chances are calling when the call center opens early in the morning.

Once they have gotten your request, it happens very quickly, they sent mine back immediately after my phone call without even notifying me (they only said they will try their best) and they will not provide a tracking reference, simply wait for the avi notice in your mail. It takes about 2 working days after your phone call for the passport to arrive at your postombud.
+
avar
post 18.Jul.2019, 08:17 PM
Post #6

I think there is no need to send passport with application now, you only send when there is a case officer. See the FAQ on MV page. It says -
"Skicka inte in något pass med din ansökan.

Vi kontaktar dig per brev när vi vill att du ska skicka in dina handlingar."
+
avar
post 18.Jul.2019, 08:19 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (newkidontheblock @ 18.Jul.2019, 11:22 AM) *
UPDATE:So now I have sent another message stating exact times of travel (again) and they got back saying it hasn't been 15 workdays - which is a damn lie! It's be ... (show full quote)

Also, in the FAQ, it says -

"Jag har fått ett meddelande om att jag ska skriva under min ansökan och det har jag redan gjort. Ska jag skriva under ansökan igen?

Nej, du behöver inte skriva under och skicka in den en gång till.""
+
inmortus
post 18.Jul.2019, 09:05 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (avar @ 18.Jul.2019, 07:17 PM) *
I think there is no need to send passport with application now, you only send when there is a case officer. See the FAQ on MV page. It says - "Skicka inte in något pass ... (show full quote)

This is quite interesting... Has anyone in this forum NOT sent their passport with application lately and had a positive result? Some of the latest positive stories are from only 2 or 3 months back but they all seem to have sent their passports with their applications?
+
newkidontheblock
post 19.Jul.2019, 09:28 AM
Post #9

Thank you for pointing out the FAQ, the problem with them is that when you are filling out the application - their instructions go against what is said in the FAQ - I mean, at the end of it tells you to send your signed application with documents - maybe they just didn't update their own flow. Knowing how much they follow their own thing and look for loopholes, I still wanted to send it all in, to not be denied or given a reason to delay it all.

After 5 days of calling, I managed to squeeze in and speak to a person yesterday afternoon. They didn't seem to know where my paperwork is but said they will try to get my passport back. I will see if it comes then next week.

Thank you all for the tips, hope this gives someone some good info as well if they come up in the same situation.
+
inmortus
post 19.Jul.2019, 04:59 PM
Post #10

I absolutely understand why you sent them. I am very close to applying and am not sure if I should send them or not. I would need my passport back about a month after application date and then taking too long to return it makes me nervous...
+
goldfish
post 19.Jul.2019, 08:18 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (newkidontheblock @ 19.Jul.2019, 10:28 AM) *
Thank you for pointing out the FAQ, the problem with them is that when you are filling out the application - their instructions go against what is said in the FAQ - I mean, at ... (show full quote)

Just keep contacting them through MV personal page! I also wanted back my passport one week after I submitted my aplication because of trip!

So after 5 days MV contacted me and ask to give them the tracking no. of the documents that had been sent by postnord, so in 2 days I received both passport new and old one with a letter stating to keep the passport and send it back to them when they request it!
+
inmortus
post 24.Jul.2019, 04:24 PM
Post #12

Well, my application is now submitted. And yes, the FAQ says there is no need to send the passport, but the confirmation email says otherwise... What to do?

How long does MV take answering the messages sent through My Pages personal page?
+
newkidontheblock
post 5.Aug.2019, 03:32 PM
Post #13

I got my passport back two days after calling and freaking out over messages, mentioning my home country embassy.

Now I saw in the dash that they posted from August 2nd we don't need to send passports anymore.

Thanks for help everyone. Fight continues smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: