The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Pregnancy in Sweden

My ex Swedish GF alledgedly pregnant

Litterbin
post 4.Jan.2011, 07:31 PM
Post #16

@ sneal

Bleedings during a pregnancy isn't necessarily something bad. Your body is producing more blood for the baby and sometimes it just produces too much which it has to get rid of. It's normal that an expecting mother would freak out over this (I sure was when it happened to me a few months ago), but the midwife will probably be competent enough to know if there's actually a problem.

If you're over 34 years of age, you're offered 2 scans, one around week 12 to check signs of Down's and then the normal one around week 18 (you can get the Down's one even if you're younger but it won't be free). You don't really need more scans if everything else looks good, they will regularly check the baby's heart beat and measure your tummy to see that it's growing ok and if it is, there's usually no reason to be concerned. You'll see the midwife about once a month at first, then every three weeks and then every other week as the due date draws nearer so you'll have plenty of times to discuss all your paranoias (if you're like me and think there might be something wrong as soon as the baby just hiccups smile.gif )

I didn't know that you couldn't check the sex in every kommun, I assumed you could. There was a debate a few years back where the Christian Democrats demanded that the midwives should stop revealing the sex, when a couple had an abortion after finding out that they were expecting a girl. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Go to the top of the page
+
Garry Jones
post 4.Jan.2011, 07:44 PM
Post #17

The following - IIRC.

It may be useful for you to know the CSA in the UK and the Swedish "försäkringskassa" have very different proceedures regarding financing.

In the UK the woman applies to the CSA who tracks - or attempts to track the father down - He is then made to pay for the child. If the father goes AWOL the woman receives no child support.

In Sweden the mother receives about 1200kr child support a month directly from the state no matter what even if the father has done a bunk. The father is then tracked down and forced to pay the Government back this ammount or a proportion of this 1200kr based on taxed income from two years previously.

Thus the proportion of the 1200kr one has to pay a month during 2011 is based on earnings between January 1st and December 31st 2009. They take into consideration the father's cost of living according to a table and will work out the surplus. From that they will ask for a proportion of the 1200kr or all of it to be repaid to the Swedish state each month.

However the UK fiscial year is April 6th to April 5th so the Swedish state will be unable to discover your earnings from Jan 1st-Dec 31st 2009. When dealing with the UK the Swedish state will probably count April 6th 2008 - April 5th 2009. So you will need to provide this information from the Inland Revenue. (I could be a year out, they might want April 6th 2009-April 5th 2010).

Each year until the child is 18 or in full-time education until he/she is 20 this will be reviewed based on your earnings two years previosuly - and the 1200kr figure will be raised occasionally. If you spend long periods of time with the child (say summer holidays in the future) you will be entitled to the Child Support from the Swedish state and she will have to pay them out of her earnings 2 years previously. (As long as you maintain joint custody rights).

1200kr does not go a long way. Say the Swedish government ask for 700kr a month you should - based on your income - pay her another 2000-3000kr out of your own sense of doing right for your kid. If your ex is fairly wealthy you could set up a long term fund for your child with a Swedish bank and have a set amount transfered every month. This could be locked until the chid turns18 or 25.

Write a will!
In Swedish Law the parents cannot refuse their children their inheritance. This does not apply to father's from the UK even if they have lived in Sweden for 30, 40 or 50 years or like yourself a few months. The UK law applies to all UK fathers. In UK law a father can choose to leave all his money to one child or even give it to a cat's charity. You should draw up a will and leave everything to your child in Sweden (if that's what you want to do). In the future if you have other kids you should adjust your will accordingly.

I have recently helped a Swedish mother who had children with a UK father who died suddenly at 47 and another Swedish mother that had children with a USA father who was killed in a road accident at 55. Neither father had left a will and it was a lot of heavy paper work with the British and UK embassies to sort it out. In both cases it would have been a lot easier if wills had been left.

Another thing you can do before the child is born. Write a letter/email to her mother. In my experience its always worth staying on the right side of g/f's mums in Sweden. You should explain what you have said here that you want to be part of the child's life.

And good luck, sorry your relationship didn't work out.

When UK/Swedish relationships end some fathers move home. Where kids are concerened - in my experience the UK fathers that have chosen to stay in Sweden are far happier long-term. You might consider moving back, this is a wonderful country. You would probably be able to find a small flat so you can be a part of your child's life.
+
Puffin
post 4.Jan.2011, 08:18 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Litterbin @ 4.Jan.2011, 07:31 PM) *
If you're over 34 years of age, you're offered 2 scans, one around week 12 to check signs of Down's and then the normal one around week 18 (you can get the Down ... (show full quote)

You needto bear in mind that all health authorities make their own policy - there is not single system for the whole of Sweden

This is NOT the case in all areas - it depends on the policy of the County Health Service where you live - not all health authorities offer the 12 week scan regardless of age

You don't really need more scans if everything else looks good, they will regularly check the baby's heart beat and measure your tummy to see that it's growing ok and if it is, there's usually no reason to be concerned. You'll see the midwife about once a month at first, then every three weeks and then every other week as the due date draws nearer so you'll have plenty of times to discuss all your paranoias (if you're like me and think there might be something wrong as soon as the baby just hiccups smile.gif )

This is true - Sweden generally does not beleive in over testing during pregnancy- they do not caaryout intensive and invasive testing on everyone just in case.

However if you do show signs of complications or problems there will be a completely different schedule of tests and scans - possibly daily doctor visits

I didn't know that you couldn't check the sex in every kommun, I assumed you could. There was a debate a few years back where the Christian Democrats demanded that the midwives should stop revealing the sex, when a couple had an abortion after finding out that they were expecting a girl. Maybe that has something to do with it?

No this is not a recent thing at all - again it depends on the county policy - allhave different policies

My County has never revealed the sex of the baby to my certain knowledge for at least 15 years
+
Themasterpiece
post 4.Jan.2011, 10:11 PM
Post #19

Regarding documentation/proof of pregnancy, there is a letter you get from the midwife (the clinic for pregnancy is called MVC "mödravårdcentralen") that you take to the social security office (Försäkringskassan) to get your parental pay.

Someone help me out on what form this is?
+
Puffin
post 4.Jan.2011, 11:49 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Donut @ 4.Jan.2011, 10:11 PM) *
Regarding documentation/proof of pregnancy, there is a letter you get from the midwife (the clinic for pregnancy is called MVC "mödravårdcentralen") that you take ... (show full quote)

Moderskapsintyget (Maternity certificate)
+
Swedesmith
post 5.Jan.2011, 12:43 AM
Post #21

Old Russian saying: trust but verify.

If the child is yours, I hope you do right by it.
+
Garry Jones
post 5.Jan.2011, 03:46 AM
Post #22

Just an addition.

As you will (most unlikely I gather) never be in wedlock with the child's mother there is no possible way for the child to obtain British Citizenship. I suppose if the mother disowned it you could apply for legal adoption but that's probably the only way. (In case you wondered).

(Unless the UK law has been changed in the last 10 years).
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: