The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
64 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

Merit Rating 2016 - Sweden MS Applicants

Selection Groups & Results

bangbang
post 11.Feb.2016, 05:43 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (salazaar @ 11.Feb.2016, 04:34 PM) *
So I think we should care more about the number of reserves (qualified but rejected) than total number of applicants.

Exactly ! That's actually something that helped me to rank my choices. The master I originally wanted to put first had 68 people on the reserve list (or something like that). Well I put it second choice and I think it has been a good idea.

Also : do you think universities know about how we ranked their programmes ? I mean, if it is the case, we don't have 4 "real chances" as universities are more likely to turn us down if we ranked their programme 3rd or 4th, compared to someone who put it first. What do you think ?
Go to the top of the page
+
salazaar
post 11.Feb.2016, 06:04 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (bangbang @ 11.Feb.2016, 05:43 PM) *
Exactly ! That's actually something that helped me to rank my choices. The master I originally wanted to put first had 58 accepted applicants and 68 on the reserve lis ... (show full quote)

And in what way did the number of reserves influence your ranking of programs?

QUOTE (bangbang @ 11.Feb.2016, 05:43 PM) *
Also : do you think universities know about how we ranked their programmes ? I mean, if it is the case, we don't have 4 "real chances" as universities are more l ... (show full quote)

Hmm hard to say... But on some summary sheets for KTH there was a field: "At universityadmissions.se, I ranked this program as my priority number: ..." Maybe they will give you slightly higher MR if they're the 1st choice because then they know you REALLY want to study that program.

But I don't think that we only have 1 real chance. For most programs there are more applicants who ranked it no 1 than available places, so nobody else would stand a chance, which I really doubt is true. Besides, that would be quite stupid from their viewpoint - they want the best students to attend the program, so if somebody from 2nd choice is a far better student than one from the 1st choice, then why not pick him? Maybe if the students are comparable they pick the one with higher priority... we can only guess.
+
bangbang
post 11.Feb.2016, 06:53 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (salazaar @ 11.Feb.2016, 06:04 PM) *
And in what way did the number of reserves influence your ranking of programs?

Well i think the smaller the reserve list the better, because it means that only a small number of applicants actually fulfill the requirements. The one I originally thought about had more people on the reserve list than on the accepted list so even if I had the right background etc, I would have had more chance to end up on the reserve list than to be taken. The equivalent Master I put first had almost no people on the reserve list and from what I read on their website I fulfill all the requirements so I have way more chances to be accepted, even if the total number of applicants is high.
Tell me if I'm not clear haha
+
bangbang
post 11.Feb.2016, 06:58 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (salazaar @ 11.Feb.2016, 06:04 PM) *
Hmm hard to say... But on some summary sheets for KTH there was a field: "At universityadmissions.se, I ranked this program as my priority number: ..." Maybe they wi ... (show full quote)

Mmh :/ What made me doubt about it is the guy leading the webinar of Chalmers, when he said "If you don't put us first, we likely won't give you a scholarship" . I hope you're right !
+
salazaar
post 11.Feb.2016, 07:15 PM
Post #20

Ah ok, now I understand smile.gif The scholarships is an entirely different thing, indeed some universities require their program to be no 1 to consider giving you a scholarship. But I don't think it is in any way decisive in terms of admission. So if you are from outside the EU and need a scholarship and the programs are comparable, then I think it was a good move.
+
bangbang
post 11.Feb.2016, 08:16 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (salazaar @ 11.Feb.2016, 07:15 PM) *
Ah ok, now I understand The scholarships is an entirely different thing, indeed some universities require their program to be no 1 to consider giving you a scholarship. But I ... (show full quote)

Good biggrin.gif Well I'm not concerned by the scholarships but this fact just made me freak out a bit concerning the importance of the ranking order in the selection !
+
Hisingen
post 11.Feb.2016, 10:30 PM
Post #22

As one way past being involved in any of this, I can appreciate that people apply to several institutions in the hope of getting into one yet, at the same time, does it not cause problems eventually for the multifarious institutions in making their choices, and with some being actually accepted at more than one? Then the person involved has to make his or her choice, leaving one or the other of the institutions then with a vacancy which may or not be filled by another seeker.

It was simply seeing the postings here that gave rise to my 'puzzlement'.

Can anyone truly explain what the eventual outcome could be?

I am aware that you all are hoping to be accepted somewhere, and I wish you well, but it does seem somewhat complicated to the likes of me.
+
salazaar
post 11.Feb.2016, 11:49 PM
Post #23

You can only get admitted to one program. You set a priority list. If you are admitted to your first choice, the rest are deleted. If not, then you are considered for your second choice. If not admitted, then for the third. And so on smile.gif
+
*TheAnswer*
post 12.Feb.2016, 05:25 AM
Post #24

Hello everybody, this is my first time posting here, and also the first time I apply to sweden, today I received an update on my admission status:

I'm also adding some statistical data from http://statistik.uhr.se/

1.- Chemistry - Biochemistry, Uppsala: Qualified (999/999).
Total applicants 2016: 111. Admitted 2015: 9
2.- Chemistry - Chemical Biology, Uppsala: Qualified (999/999). Total applicants 2016: 35. Admitted 2015: 3
3.- Chemistry - Bio and nano Materials, Uppsala: Qualified (999/999). Total applicants 2016: 101 Admitted 2015: 8
4.- Applied Biotechnology: In-process. Total applicants 2016: 357. Admitted 2015: 17

So, I'm joining to the waiting madness until March, and I would be happy to read your thoughts.
+
Student123
post 12.Feb.2016, 01:35 PM
Post #25

I called the University of Gothenburg and learned that if there are GMAT scores, Then they'll give priority to them. anyone here applied to any Business School with a GMAT/GRE? They also said they have 55% more applications this year.
+
Student123
post 12.Feb.2016, 01:46 PM
Post #26

And does anyone know for sure if we get only priority at our first choice? I just wanted to know if i have the same chance of being admitted at my First choice and second or third or fourth?
+
bangbang
post 12.Feb.2016, 05:06 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (TheAnswer @ 12.Feb.2016, 05:25 AM) *
Hello everybody, this is my first time posting here, and also the first time I apply to sweden, today I received an update on my admission status:I'm also adding some stat ... (show full quote)

Hi, I think you'll be more than fine. And Uppsala is great. I was there last year smile.gif
+
bangbang
post 12.Feb.2016, 09:02 PM
Post #28

Found on a KTH student ambassador blog :

you may want to reject your first choice and HOPE that you get admitted to lower choices. You can ONLY do this if the other selections have NOT been deleted. Doing so also entails risk, as most schools, programs and courses will consider first choice applicants before second choice ones, second choice applicants before third choice ones, and so on. In other words, in rejecting your first offer, you may end up without a program or course to attend.

I guess it looks like the beginning of an answer concerning the number of number of "real chances" we have.
+
Student123
post 12.Feb.2016, 09:11 PM
Post #29

So it means we have only one chance? The program i applied to as First choice in Gothenburg I'm almost sure i wont get it cus of GMAT. I was hoping for the second one in Karlstad but as there are 30 applicants who chose Karlstad as their first choice, I doubt I'll get anything. But we will see.

Thanks bangbang!
EDIT: I just sent University Admissions an email if the fact that we selected on program above another and go this reply:

Dear Student,

Thank you for contacting us with questions regarding admission in Sweden.
Your chance of being admitted to a program, is not effect by the order you added them.

But i doubt if it's right!
+
bangbang
post 12.Feb.2016, 09:35 PM
Post #30

I really doubt it too.

I think each faculty has its own rules.
Maybe it just has a slightly influence. Looks like we can't really know !
+

64 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: