The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
138 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »    Reply to this topic

Merit Rating 2017 - Sweden MS Applicants

Selection Groups & Results

itsmegeorge
post 31.Jan.2017, 12:04 PM
Post #61

QUOTE (dr_MadGeek @ 30.Jan.2017, 08:56 PM) *
It depends on the university that is offering the programme .. I have seen in past, my department cancelled some program when the number of applicants were less than 50.

I get that, although this doesn't really answer my question on how many people in general get accepted for a Master's programme annually. Hope I'm not being rude here.
Go to the top of the page
+
riemann
post 31.Jan.2017, 02:54 PM
Post #62

QUOTE (itsmegeorge @ 31.Jan.2017, 12:04 PM) *
I get that, although this doesn't really answer my question on how many people in general get accepted for a Master's programme annually. Hope I'm not being rude here.

You can look through all the past admissions statistics here: https://statistik.uhr.se/

Some programs are very specialized like theoretical physics which takes a handful whilst others are huge and take hundreds like public health.

I think the statistics can be a bit misconstrued, it's my belief that many people that are applying and don't have a Swedish personal number are applying to multiple countries and many will face various visa issues (especially the last three years due to the refugee crisis overloading the visa system) and housing issues (housing can be impossible to find in the major cities) so even though it looks like many are applying and have accepted that is not really indicative of the actual amount that end up on the course.
+
itsmegeorge
post 31.Jan.2017, 04:46 PM
Post #63

QUOTE (riemann @ 31.Jan.2017, 03:54 PM) *
You can look through all the past admissions statistics here: https://statistik.uhr.se/Some programs are very specialized like theoretical physics which takes a handful whils ... (show full quote)

There are no statistics for the Master I am referring to. It's new and it's going to start in September for the first time.
+
riemann
post 31.Jan.2017, 05:02 PM
Post #64

QUOTE (itsmegeorge @ 31.Jan.2017, 04:46 PM) *
There are no statistics for the Master I am referring to. It's new and it's going to start in September for the first time.

Then email the program director and ask them directly. I personally chatted with a few program directors before applying and they were all very pleasant and welcoming to answer any of my questions.
+
itsmegeorge
post 31.Jan.2017, 05:35 PM
Post #65

QUOTE (riemann @ 31.Jan.2017, 06:02 PM) *
Then email the program director and ask them directly. I personally chatted with a few program directors before applying and they were all very pleasant and welcoming to answer any of my questions.

I did, but no reply. sad.gif
Oh well, I guess we will see.
+
Albert100791
post 31.Jan.2017, 07:29 PM
Post #66

Hello all!

I'll share my experiences with this clear and relaxing selection process tongue.gif
Here are my choices for the masters I want to study.

1. MSc Strategic HRM & Labour Relations - Göteborg University.(In progress)
2. MBA Business Adm. Organization - Linköping University. (In progress)
3. MSc Management, Knowledge and Change - Lund University. (In progress)
4. MBA Management - Umeå University. (In progress)

So, here's is my background: I think I have strong chances to get admitted to my first option, as I hold a bachelor in Labour Relations (240hec). The info on the webpage says that selection is based upon credits with a max of 225 hec thus.. I should be fine (I guess ? ) It's pretty confusing, as I'm not used to get involved into this kind of selections. Also, they separate the selection in 3 groups : Group 1: The ones who hold a bachelor in HR or Labour Relations Group 2: The ones who hold a Social Sciences related bachelor (HRM included) and Group 3: The others who fulfill the requirements. The question now is.. Can I take part in 2 selection groups?
I have some Swedish friends and told me that it is common to participate in more than 1 selection groups.

Although as anecdote, Linköping changed my status twice from Qualified to In progress.. That was right after 16th January. I was a bit surprised because it was way too fast.. but, I'm in progress again. Should I be worried?
+
itsmegeorge
post 31.Jan.2017, 09:41 PM
Post #67

QUOTE (Albert100791 @ 31.Jan.2017, 08:29 PM) *
Although as anecdote, Linköping changed my status twice from Qualified to In progress.. That was right after 16th January. I was a bit surprised because it was way too fast.. ... (show full quote)

Lmao how nerve racking!! Although I will say I too have 240 ECTS and my programme says maximum 225 and I'm like... worried
+
Albert100791
post 31.Jan.2017, 10:00 PM
Post #68

QUOTE (itsmegeorge @ 31.Jan.2017, 09:41 PM) *
Lmao how nerve racking!! Although I will say I too have 240 ECTS and my programme says maximum 225 and I'm like... worried

Yeah.. same here. I'm a bit concerned about the lack of transparence regarding selection process. As far as I know, they don't take grade point average, CV or letter of intention into considerantion, so I don't know what they really evaluate. I think they just check if the subjectes are well linked to the field of study you wanna take...

Btw George, does your masters programme website say anything more about the selection criteria? I hope this madness finish soon...
+
itsmegeorge
post 31.Jan.2017, 10:13 PM
Post #69

QUOTE (Albert100791 @ 31.Jan.2017, 11:00 PM) *
Yeah.. same here. I'm a bit concerned about the lack of transparence regarding selection process. As far as I know, they don't take grade point average, CV or letter o ... (show full quote)

Uh well I got three choices listed basically, two are Computational Linguistics and then I have Medieval and Classical Philology, this one's a new programme and it says 225 maximum so I don't know. This one doesn't require anything other than the degree but the other two wanted a statement of intent. But if a programme wants a letter they do look at it and it basically makes or breaks the application.
+
Albert100791
post 1.Feb.2017, 07:29 AM
Post #70

Let's keep our fingers crossed then smile.gif
+
Albert100791
post 1.Feb.2017, 11:41 AM
Post #71

QUOTE (itsmegeorge @ 31.Jan.2017, 10:13 PM) *
Uh well I got three choices listed basically, two are Computational Linguistics and then I have Medieval and Classical Philology, this one's a new programme and it says 22 ... (show full quote)

I've just checked the statistics and are really discouraging... I don't really know what to think ! 700 total applications submitted!
+
Albert100791
post 1.Feb.2017, 12:58 PM
Post #72

QUOTE (riemann @ 31.Jan.2017, 02:54 PM) *
You can look through all the past admissions statistics here: https://statistik.uhr.se/Some programs are very specialized like theoretical physics which takes a handful whils ... (show full quote)

I think exactly the same. For example, I'm aware that many of the applications didn't come through to the final steps of the process due to numerous reasons (English test results weren't on time...). Although it's really discouraging seeing more than 1000 applications. To be honest, I still don't know how do they select the candidates... We will see smile.gif
+
geof_TZ_2243
post 1.Feb.2017, 03:45 PM
Post #73

QUOTE (Rafael8 @ 31.Jan.2017, 08:53 AM) *
Sweden is more technical than artistic or anything else. They highly prioritize physics, chems, mathmatics grades (or any technical subjects relevant to your majors) on overal ... (show full quote)

Well Rafael, if there are any other relevant info that they gave you (that would give us even the slightest of 'closure' in this waiting period), please do share! I figure these are pretty uncertain times unsure.gif
+
geof_TZ_2243
post 1.Feb.2017, 04:19 PM
Post #74

Does anyone know how long it takes for TOEFL results to reach SW admissions? (This question has become a bit of a cliché but is a need to know for me) And, if they haven't arrived by today will this lead to disqualification for this admissions round?
+
Nataliii
post 1.Feb.2017, 05:50 PM
Post #75

QUOTE (geof_TZ_2243 @ 1.Feb.2017, 04:19 PM) *
Does anyone know how long it takes for TOEFL results to reach SW admissions? (This question has become a bit of a cliché but is a need to know for me) And, if they haven' ... (show full quote)

Well on TOEFL page they say it is 4-6 weeks , but from my experience it was a week, sometimes only 4 days, but they wont disqualify you, or better to say - if your toefl comes like a week - 10 days after the deadline, they said it is ok, but if more it will be concidered as late application. You can still get in but i am sure that wont make a good oppinion on your organization skills - but you wont be disqualified.
+

138 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: