The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Estate-combi cars in Sweden

Why are they so popular?

Snood
post 7.Oct.2013, 10:49 AM
Post #1

So my Sambo and I are finally looking into getting out first car, second hand. I have a few models in mind that I'd be interested in. I really don't want an estate car, I find the vast majority of them to be quite ugly and i'm sure the extra weight can't be good on fuel economy. Yet frustratingly, they make up the overwhelming majority of car body types in Sweden. I can't understand why this is,

I don't see that Swedes have any particular extra need to carry stuff around than other nations. Why is it that they are so much more common here than elsewhere?

On a side note, if anyone can recommend any particular dealerships in the Gothenburg area for Volvos or VWs then that'd be very much appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+
Timbosaurus
post 7.Oct.2013, 10:59 AM
Post #2

I think a lot of it has to do with the 'outdoorsy' nature of a significant chunk of Swedes. They like the idea of being able to pack some provisions and head off into the countryside for days on end, even if the reality is only that the furthest they get is their fritidshus in Norrtälje.

Once a critical mass of these lifestylers has been achieved, their friends just buy them because they've seen them around a lot, then before you know it the dealers decide that's going to be the default style of vehicle that they will try to sell you.
+
Johno
post 7.Oct.2013, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Also that Swedes have more storage space than English are used to, so that really big shopping trips often occur. When first visiting we were struck by folks buying for example enormous packs of toilet rolls that we at home could never find space to store. And you need an estate car to carry a big shopping load.
+
skogsbo
post 7.Oct.2013, 12:42 PM
Post #4

why buy a saloon or hatch, they are just as long in a garage, but with less space inside. Doesn't make sense to buy anything other than a estate. smile.gif

Anyone who has had kids knows that a typical hatchback car boot is nearly full the minute the buggy goes in.
+
Willy
post 7.Oct.2013, 04:09 PM
Post #5

Another reason:

Strong DIY culture in the middle class. If you owned a house, you made repairs etc yourself. In the days before ROT and RUT, it was often the only affordable way. And then you need to transport stuff.
+
Johno
post 7.Oct.2013, 04:16 PM
Post #6

... but then so many own or hire trailers.
+
skogsbo
post 7.Oct.2013, 04:28 PM
Post #7

hatchbacks are for people who want to make a practical car, less practical and allegedly look sporty!!!

With an estate you can also use a full size roof box, kayak, or put a set a skis on the roof and when you open the boot, it doesn't hit them. With hatches the boot hits them before it's even half open, I know this from before I converted to estates only some 15years ago. Much more practical, all round.
+
StephenR
post 7.Oct.2013, 05:44 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 7.Oct.2013, 12:42 PM) *
Anyone who has had kids knows that a typical hatchback car boot is nearly full the minute the buggy goes in.

I was never a big fan of estates, nor were they or are they popular in Ireland, even less so than the UK, never mind Sweden. Growing up everyone I knew, kids or no kids had hatches or saloons but now that I have my own kids, I don't know how anyone can survive without an estate or people carrier to be honest. We don't have a car of our own but on the occasions we've borrowed one, we've filled every piece of floor and free space with luggage.
+
dave.smith
post 7.Oct.2013, 06:16 PM
Post #9

Snood,

Swedes are logical people when you get right down to it, and skogsbo is correct: there are more advantages to getting an estate than a saloon or hatchback.

Personally I prefer saloon styling, although we have an SUV for storage and people carrying. With our second child and possibly a third in the future, though we may need to re-evaluate the car situation.

At the moment we have an SUV, and two saloons. One is a very expensive sports car and the other a BMW M3. The sports car hardly gets used and neither does the BMW, so the SUV, a Volvo, is the main workhorse. I think we should replace the sports car with an estate or anoyher SUV, perhaps an Audi.

Snood, if you want my advice and you really don't need the space offered by an estate or SUV, look into getting a saloon from an auction in Germany. I did this in 2009 and got the M3 for less than the price of an entry level 3 in Sweden, with very low mileage. I am going to look into doing this again when we get the Audi.
+
Hisingen
post 7.Oct.2013, 09:59 PM
Post #10

I run a Ford Focus 2003 model, Estate. Two years ago I bought a snow blower from Mariestad. I toyed with the idea of borrowing my neighbour's trailer, then contacted the seller of the blower, and checked out the dimensions with handle down and blower exit chute removed. With 2 cm to spare, it went inside the car. I had saved a 350km round trip pulling a trailer thanks to the estate model.
The use of an estate vehicle definitely has its uses, including getting home from Køpenhamn with a six-foot grandfather clock, striking most of the journey.
That said, the use of an SUV by city-dwellers does pose a question or two, especially when they mainly get used to take children to school ! !
Still, no matter what, "Yah pays yer money and yah takes yer pick." It is always a personal thing.
+
Opalnera
post 8.Oct.2013, 10:44 PM
Post #11

I suppose it depends on where you live, around here everyone has a Toyota Yaris or a Peugeot 208.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 10.Oct.2013, 12:10 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 7.Oct.2013, 01:42 PM) *
why buy a saloon or hatch, they are just as long in a garage, but with less space inside. Doesn't make sense to buy anything other than a estate. Anyone who has had kids k ... (show full quote)

Yes, this is the correct answer. A station wagon and a sedan of the same model share the same base. The curb weight and fuel consumption does not differ much, so why buy a sedan when you can buy a similar, more practical car, with much more interior space. In particular it is good for families; try getting a stroller into a sedan...

If you are worried about fuel consumption you buy a compact car (yaris, golf, etc), not a regular sedan. But then you cannot carry much else than yourself and your passengers, so forget about taking the family to the holiday house or going skiing.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: