The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

What days of the week does förskola operate?

Same question for the kindergarten...

/dev/null
post 20.Dec.2012, 05:19 AM
Post #1

HI,

We plan to move to Stockholm next month and I wonder:
1. what days of the week do usual kindergarten/förskola operate?
2. Is there any differences between public/private kindergarten/förskola (in operating hours/days of the week)?
3. Is there any municipal law that defines timeframe for the kindergartens

I'd appreciate your help!
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 20.Dec.2012, 08:22 AM
Post #2

dagis could be 7-1800, loosely. But you may need to wait for a place, if you are both not working or if one of you is not working, then you'll only get 15hrs a week. This rule could vary slightly, others will no doubt correct me if some differ.

School hours are shorter, perhaps 830-1430, but these could swing an hour either way depending on the school.

Days - unsuprisingly, it's Mon-Fri, but not red days, holidays and staff training days.
+
Puffin
post 20.Dec.2012, 11:07 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (/dev/null @ 20.Dec.2012, 05:19 AM) *
HI,. We plan to move to Stockholm next month and I wonder:. 1. what days of the week do usual kindergarten/förskola operate?

pre schools are usually open 5 days per week excluding public holidays - some kommuns also offer out of hours care on evenings and weekends if both parents are working

the timings vary so you would need to check - usually they open between 6 and 7am and close between 5 and 6 pm

2. Is there any differences between public/private kindergarten/förskola (in operating hours/days of the week)?

It depends - I have heard of private daycares offering more restricted hours - but I think this depends on what type of private operator it is ie company or parental cooperative

There is no law that govern opening times as municipalities are supposed to adapt these to the local labour market - for example different times would be needed if the biggest employer is a steel works, hospital or office block

If one parents is not working you may be limited to 525 hours/year which translates to 15 hours per week during term time - although some municipalities offer more generous terms

the law relates to people working or studying that you have

If you are talking about an older child (age 6) attending the föreskola class at a school then the timings may be different - often they attend mornings only with wrap around early morning/afternoon care

Schools tend to start between 8 and 9am and finish between 1 and 4pm - not all schools offer an integrated school day (ie some schools have different ending times)
+
StephenR
post 20.Dec.2012, 03:14 PM
Post #4

Bear in mind that even if the förskolan opens between 6am and 6pm, you'll more than likely only be entitled to have the kids there for as long as you need them to be there for work reasons ie you will need to show them your work schedule and agree what hours the child will be there.
+
Yorkshireman
post 20.Dec.2012, 03:40 PM
Post #5

We plan to move to Stockholm next month and I wonder:. 1. what days of the week do usual kindergarten/förskola operate?

Monday to Friday, except Public Holidays ...and watch out for Summer Vacation period (July), often the förskola work together so maybe your place closes and your child may have to go to another place with staff and kids they haven't met before. Also watch out for planning days!! I was amazed at just how many planning days my kids dagis had, where it was closes!!! Those were in addition to it being closed on training days.

Possibly. One main difference, not with regarding hours or days, is that some private förskola have their own queue so it can take even longer to get a place, and you need to contact them directly.

In Stockholm You have the right to have your child in förskola within the hours 06.30 and 18.30, that time is the maximum time frame the förskola must open if there is need for it.

You can only get a place in Stockholm förskola if your child is registered in the population register as living in Stockholm. So, as soon as You arrive, make sure that you get your personnummers sorted out for you and your family, then you can apply for a place, and expect a degree of waiting time for a place (max 3 months). You may get offered a place that is out-of-your-way, the normal advice is to take-it and pay for it, even if you dont want to send your child there (just in case), whilst keeping your child on the queue for something closer (or prefered).
+
/dev/null
post 21.Dec.2012, 10:29 AM
Post #6

Thank you for the answers! I found them really helpful.

One more thing I want to clarify: initially my wife will not have a job, so I guess the 15 hours per week per kid is what we get as not both of us are working. Which means the kids will be in the kindergarten 3 hours a day.

How can this time frame be extended to something more reasonable in order to enable my wife some hours for studying Swedish and seeking for a job? Is that something negotiable or can be set by additional payment to the kindergarten? What can you suggest in our case?

Thank you in advance for your help!
+
byke
post 21.Dec.2012, 10:43 AM
Post #7

It may not be 3 hours per day, but whatever the dagis feels is best for them.
So you may find that its example (08:30 to 16:00) stretched over a 2 day period per week instead.
Allowing your wife to spend time with the kids the remaining 5 days per week.
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Dec.2012, 11:12 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (/dev/null @ 21.Dec.2012, 10:29 AM) *
How can this time frame be extended to something more reasonable in order to enable my wife some hours for studying Swedish and seeking for a job? Is that something negotiable ... (show full quote)

With regards the Allmän Förskola. (public)
The 15 hours per week is the amount of hours that are free-of-charge, when you pass 15 hours per week you are then charged a fee according to your combined income to a maximum amount per month. If your combine income is greater than 42.000:- /m then you pay maximum amount (maxtaxa) which is either 840:- or 1260:- /m depending on age of child and if it is staying between 15-30 hours or greater than 30 hours.

The 15 hours is a negotiation between you and the dagis, it doesnt have to be daily. You could have 2 days looking for work free of the child, and 3 days with it in daycare @ 5 hours per day. Negotiate wink.gif

Once You start paying the fee, then the rules change slightly, since it isn't free time you have more say in the hours smile.gif just depends how difficult the dagis is being, and how firm you can be.

SFI counts as study, which allows you to increase past 15 hours a week the amount of time the child can be at dagis. Some daigs will need proof etc... and can be difficult, it's just to be firm.

Looking for work, your partner needs to be registered at Arbetsförmedlingen (Job Center) as looking for work, and that also increases the amount of time you can have the child in dagis ...because you cannot be at home looking after a child and be looking for work! And watch-out, if your partner is entitled to unemployment benefits either from another Member State, or Sweden ... being at home looking after a child will be classed as not-looking for work, and not available for work, which means they will inform the benefit payers that you are not meeting the conditions.
+
Puffin
post 21.Dec.2012, 11:41 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 21.Dec.2012, 11:12 AM) *
With regards the Allmän Förskola. (public)The 15 hours per week is the amount of hours that are free-of-charge, when you pass 15 hours per week you are then charged a fee ac ... (show full quote)

The allmän förskola is not restricted to public preeschools but is a specific government subsidy programmme for all children over the age of 3 years that gives them 15 free hours - children between the ages of 1 and 3 are not entitled to any free hours and there is no daycare for children under 1 year

Also important to remember that the exact fee structure depends on the exact kommun where you live

For childrem over the age of 3 each kommun can decide what discount they give from the max fee or maxtaxa - some kommuns give very small discounts - for example when my daughter was 3-5 we only got 150kr per month discount for our 15 free hours each month
+
Puffin
post 21.Dec.2012, 11:54 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (/dev/null @ 21.Dec.2012, 10:29 AM) *
One more thing I want to clarify: initially my wife will not have a job, so I guess the 15 hours per week per kid is what we get as not both of us are working. Which means the ... (show full quote)

If your wife is studying Swedsh then she will be entitled to daycare hours that cover that time - also if she is registered as unemployed

If your child is over 3 and you use the free "allmän förskola" hours then some daycares require these to be taken at a set time

Remember that daycares tend t have waiting lists and it usually takes 3-4 months to get a place and possibly longer if you wishe to hold out for a particular place
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: