The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »    Reply to this topic

12 Year Old Dies Of Toothache In America

*Paulo's Hilton Not Blond*
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:20 PM
Post #46

QUOTE (wellygirl)
Prevention is better than cure, in the case of the kid dying of a tooth infection this is definately a prime example as he is now dead from lack of simple prevetion methods...

here's a little more light hearted approach for ya:

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/bi...evention-p1.php

Definetely I agree with you, but even with that I think some fatality is impossible to prevent.
It's hard to find the responsibles for this kid death... Who the ignorant parents or the health system or lack of it?
:roll:
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:21 PM
Post #47

QUOTE (Yendor)
I have lived and worked in California for many years and now live and work in Sweden. First, get over this idea that health care is free in Sweden! You pay for it through your sky-high taxes! Second, the health care system in the US is a big mess! I think the US should have a National Health Care System but that wont happen because there is to much money "in the game"! I ended up in the hospital in Borås about a year ago with cancer and i got FIRST CLASS CARE all the way. But before i landed in the hospital i was going "downhill fast" and went to my local doctor and he did not know what was wrong with me! So he sent me to another doctor and he could not find out what was wrong either! So he sent me to a third doctor and he told me i had a Colin infection and let me go taking a pill a day. After 10 days my friend drove me to the hospital, there i collapsed on the floor! When i came to in my hospital bed they told me i had Colin Cancer and that i was in "very bad shape"! Bottom line is that if your OUTSIDE the hospital seeing doctors its a "toss of the dice". So if you get sick GO TO THE HOSPITAL! Three idiot doctors almost cost me my LIFE!

I think the problem is that only a little fraction (12%) of our taxes go to healthcare...
+
Yendor
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:21 PM
Post #48

Your right its Colon, not Colin, sorry.
+
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:23 PM
Post #49

QUOTE (Brian18148)
In the US Hospitals say they offset the costs of non-insured by raising their prices, insurance companies claim to raise their rates due to the hospitals costs. A vicious circle that is like the chicken or the egg question.

I have three friends; Brazilian, German and Brittish, all of whom have residency here in Sweden and all of whom returned to the home land for medical treatment because they could not get proper treatment or any treatment in Sweden. One of them even happens to be a doctor in their home land but are here because of a their spouse's situation. Like I said before every country has it's issues and can be cited many times over. Including the one you live in and think is great.

I agree with you at all. My partner is a doctor I see more closer his reality. In some cases I also prefer treating myself in Brazil my home land. laugh.gif Especially dentistry. It's very good and cheap compared to here.
+
Mike
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:25 PM
Post #50

QUOTE (Bender)
I think the problem is that only a little fraction (12%) of our taxes go to healthcare...

Which is grand larceny if you never use the service.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:28 PM
Post #51

QUOTE (Mike)

No it isn't. I don't use the education service in Sweden but I have no problem paying for it because it's clearly in the wider interests of society to have an educated population, even if children have the misfortune to be born to poor parents. Similarly it's in the wider interests of society to ensure that people can get access to healthcare even if they don't have the money to pay for it. The cost to society of people dying all over the place would be higher.
+
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:31 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (Mike)

Guys I may confess you one thing. My partner is a medical doctor, a neurologist and last year we were likely to move to Sweden. He got many job offers and we went visiting these places. You would not believe that how public money is spent badly in my opinion.

1st) The neurologists at this hospital only used to see 4 patients a day!!! I couldnt believe it! And there was still a waiting list and why they are not able to optimize it? And then I believe more and more in my theory that the State usually is not made to be efficient. I have lived in many places, live with a doctor and used to have contact with doctors in my family and I have never seen in any country a National Health Care System that meets the quality of service that patients would expect.

In the end is a little bit like those who have got more money usually will likely to get the best treatments.
+
Mike
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:35 PM
Post #53

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
No it isn't. I don't use the education service in Sweden but I have no problem paying for it because it's clearly in the wider interests of society to have an educated population, even if children have the misfortune to be born to poor parents. Similarly it's in the wider interests of society to ensure that people can get access to healthcare even if they don't have the money to pay for it. The cost to society of people dying all over the place would be higher.

Good for you, but I have a problem with being forced to pay for something.

If the "greater good" is so great and important, why do you have to force people to pay for it?
+
Mike
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:36 PM
Post #54

QUOTE (Pjrnunes)
Guys I may confess you one thing. My partner is a medical doctor, a neurologist and last year we were likely to move to Sweden. He got many job offers and we went visiting these places. You would not believe that how public money is spent badly in my opinion.

1st) The neurologists at this hospital only used to see 4 patients a day!!! I couldnt believe it! And there was still a waiting list and why they are not able to optimize it? And then I believe more and more in my theory that the State usually is not made to be efficient. I have lived in many places, live with a doctor and used to have contact with doctors in my family and I have never seen in any country a National Health Care System that meets the quality of service that patients would expect.

In the end is a little bit like those who have got more money usually will likely to get the best treatments.

Good point, Pjrnunes, and this is exactly why the government should stay out of health care.
+
Elvis Has Left The Buildi...
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:37 PM
Post #55

In the end is a little bit like those who have got more money usually will likely to get the best treatments.[/quote]

This is all too true even in socialized medicine.
+
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:41 PM
Post #56

QUOTE (Mike)
Good point, Pjrnunes, and this is exactly why the government should stay out of health care.

Thanks Mike. you know what? My partner asked them why it took so long time to see a patient and why just quite a few?

They said because there's an internal bureaucracy in the Swedish health system that doctors have to spend a lot of time documenting the patients' visits, and also because Swedish people are used to it and will not complain because they have no alternative.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:43 PM
Post #57

QUOTE (Mike)

If the "greater good" is so great and important, why do you have to force people to pay for it?

Because some people are selfish, and it wouldn't be right to let the unselfish people shoulder all the burden while the selfish pay nothing.

You should note that most people don't have a problem paying tax, even if you do.
+
Yendor
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:48 PM
Post #58

The only problem with a national health care system is that many people dont take care of themselves and just say "im covered by the state"! Taking the Stena boat back from Denmark last week i overheard some Sweeds complaining about the high cost of dental care, next to them they had cases and cases of wine and beer! Its ALL about priorities in life!
+
Mike
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:53 PM
Post #59

QUOTE (Mike)

Because some people are selfish, and it wouldn't be right to let the unselfish people shoulder all the burden while the selfish pay nothing.

So it's not fair if a few selfish people pay for nothing, but it is fair that the rich people pay for almost everything? You do realize that the rich pay way more than everything else, but at the same time they receive the least amount of benefits.

You should note that most people don't have a problem paying tax, even if you do.

BS. If taxes were optional, the vast majority would quit paying.

What is so wrong with people actually paying for the services they use, instead of being robbed by the government to pay for everyone else? Are you so afraid of failure?

The truth is, there aren't really that many poor people, and charity is more than able to take care of them.
+
Mike
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:55 PM
Post #60

QUOTE (Yendor)
The only problem with a national health care system is that many people dont take care of themselves and just say "im covered by the state"! Taking the Stena boat back from Denmark last week i overheard some Sweeds complaining about the high cost of dental care, next to them they had cases and cases of wine and beer! Its ALL about priorities in life!

That's another good reason. I'm in great health and take care of my body. I never go to the doctor. Why should I pay for cancer treatment for all the smokers, or heart surgery for all the fatties?
+

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: