The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
35 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »    Reply to this topic

My experience "trying" to move to Sweden

Please god, just end me now

Tenacious185
post 11.Jan.2018, 08:55 PM
Post #46

QUOTE (Cheeseroller @ 30.Nov.2017, 03:16 AM) *
I could not love a woman enough to come back to Sweden, even if she woke me every morning with a BJ, because the other 23 hours and 50 minutes I'd be a second class citize ... (show full quote)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

If it takes her a full ten minutes to finish you off, then you married the wrong woman.

The right woman would be worth feeling like a second class citizen for, for at least 23 hours and 57 minutes per day. Tops.

Moot point, probably, because those 3 minutes would leave you feeling like a king all damn day. The rest of Sweden wouldn't matter.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Jan.2018, 09:43 PM
Post #47

Good heavens!!!

The forum is being overrun by rampant "salaciousness" laugh.gif
+
RAFS
post 11.Jan.2018, 10:11 PM
Post #48

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 11.Jan.2018, 04:49 PM) *
From what I understand, they want me to prove that my wife was in another country? I really don't understand what this has to do with me getting a personnumer here in Swed ... (show full quote)

This is just a guess and by no means "expertise", but they may be treating you as a "family member of EU citizen with right of residence in Sweden", as you have not convinced them that you have right of residence yourself.

The right of residence of your family depends on you having right of residence by working, studying, being self-employed or living on your pension or other sufficient means for supporting your family.

Swedes are normally not considered EU citizens in this context, but Swedes who have recently lived in another EU country can be included in the group of people to whom the rules for right of residence apply.

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...U-citizens.html
+
Tenacious185
post 11.Jan.2018, 10:23 PM
Post #49

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 11.Jan.2018, 09:43 PM) *
Good heavens!!!. The forum is being overrun by rampant "salaciousness" laugh.gif

At some point it just gets so heavy, you've gotta start clowning around! laugh.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Jan.2018, 11:09 PM
Post #50

You mean you were not serious???

OMG!!!

I misjudged you... laugh.gif
+
Tenacious185
post 12.Jan.2018, 04:50 AM
Post #51

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 11.Jan.2018, 11:09 PM) *
You mean you were not serious???. OMG!!!. I misjudged you... laugh.gif

Joking, with a strong undercurrent of seriousness. biggrin.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Jan.2018, 05:14 AM
Post #52

Like the old saying: Many a true thing, is told in jest... Not a direct quote, but close unsure.gif laugh.gif
+
SmokerT69
post 12.Jan.2018, 05:15 AM
Post #53

QUOTE (lysz @ 11.Jan.2018, 08:51 PM) *
It looks like they are processing you as a residency application on the grounds of being married to a Swede (which you shouldn't need as an EU citizen). They appear to wan ... (show full quote)

huh... I guess that goes with what they said earlier. That they can't do anything because of Brexit. Which still makes no sense to me.

Not really sure how we can prove my wife and I lived together in the UK, Bermuda. According to Bermuda law, as long as you're married, you don't have to apply for anything. You are treated the same as a Bermudian citizen by simply just showing your marriage certificate. So you don't need work permits or visas, etc. As a spouse of a Bermudian, she can own land, work, own her own business and stay indefinitely.

During her time in Bermuda, I was in the army, and she wasn't working. I was supporting her... So she had no expenses besides the occasional taxi or hanging out in the city with friends. Really, the only evidence we have that she was even there is her British Airway ticket and our joint bank account at the Bank of Bermuda.
+
SmokerT69
post 12.Jan.2018, 05:27 AM
Post #54

QUOTE (RAFS @ 11.Jan.2018, 10:11 PM) *
This is just a guess and by no means "expertise", but they may be treating you as a "family member of EU citizen with right of residence in Sweden", as you ... (show full quote)

I honestly no longer know how to prove it to them. Everything they have asked me, I have done. I've been here for 8 months now without working, living in the center of my city in a 4 bedroom flat. If I couldn't afford it, I would of long been gone lol. Does that not prove I have sufficient means to support myself? Considering heading back to Bermuda to work for a bit now though. Getting out of shape, and I'm honestly getting bored. Just doing SFI and playing video games. No matter who I send my CV too, no one is interested. Every job offer I've had, they turned me down when I told them I don't have a personummer. I tried to explain that if they just let me work I could get the number. Doesn't matter.. Spoke to my SGT over new years and might just re-enlist for another few years. Sections of my regiment based around internal security are going full time now, so why not.

All in all, Sweden has been a massive disappointment.
+
mjennin2
post 12.Jan.2018, 07:46 AM
Post #55

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 24.Nov.2017, 04:20 AM) *
TheLocal rarely gets posts from people, happy with their lot in Sweden...

Looks like I need to step up my TL presence... wink.gif
+
lysz
post 12.Jan.2018, 10:29 AM
Post #56

Sounds a bit crazy but it may be worth a shot at taking them some evidence that UK hasn't actually left EU yet! There are some fact sheets on HMRC.gov.uk which state very clearly that UK residents rights in EU countries don't change until we actually leave EU on March 29th 2019. I haven't managed to find any info on Skatteverket yet about UK and Brexit. However this is a recent page from Skatteverket where they mention that UK is one of the 28 EU countries

https://www.skatteverket.se/privat/fastighe...=Storbritannien

This one from Migrationsverket even has a lovely map clearly showing UK is EU

https://www.migrationsverket.se/Privatperso...medborgare.html

It also states that as an EU citizen you have automatic right to live and work in Sweden and do not need to visit MV but can just register for a personnummer.
Your wife can probably dig up more stuff from their websites for you.
Good luck!
+
lysz
post 12.Jan.2018, 10:30 AM
Post #57

The link for the HMRC page is

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-for-brit...iving-in-europe
+
SmokerT69
post 12.Jan.2018, 02:00 PM
Post #58

Well, the guy I spoke to said I can't get a personummer because my wife didn't live in the UK long enough? He's suggested that I go and apply for a residency permit. He said as a EU member I automatically have right of residency. But perhaps I should apply anyway so I have a paper stating I have it. So I'm doing a right of residence form right now. Let's see how this works out.

Also, he said I can only stay in Sweden for 3 months at a time. I told him I've been here for 8. He said to just say I visited Denmark or Norway and came back lol... Also, since it's a new year, apparently it resets now anyway and I can do 3 months again?
+
Apache001
post 12.Jan.2018, 03:08 PM
Post #59

+5000 likes to Gjeebees last post.
Swedes love drama drama drama, endless drama, that’s the only way they catch their trips.
At the end when you finally point out all the mistakes they’ve made on your case, then they throw the popular slogan at you “this is how we do it in Sweden”, that’s an indirect way of telling you to shut up. I’m sure you have heard the advert on radio “like we say in Sweden tar det lugnt. Only time Swedes don’t follow this tar det lugnt rule is when they are the ones at the receiving end, you would be amazed at the desperation they display.

This system will cripple you and that’s why many people here are so depressed and on medication. Just look at all the frustration you are going through even with a Swedish wife and baby, this is a callous misuse of office power. Systems are supposed to be built for ease.

Instead of right of residence application as EU citizen, can’t you just submit a family sambo or marriage application as I’m sure your wife has a personnummer, and you have a spacious apartment and some money in the bank.

Don’t take this lightly with them, 8 months is not a joke. Find the number of the director of MV and call him, with Swedes you need to drag them to the public eye before they start performing.
I’m sure an average Swede would laugh if you narrated your story to him, because as ethnic Swedes they know the particular Swedish unwritten societal mentality that’s at play at every given situations, at least that’s my experience when I chat with them, you are going to be so perplexed when they break it fully down for you. Swedes are special people who have a big ego of not making mistakes, so use that to your advantage in any way you can.
I hope things work out fine for you.
Välkommen till Sverige
+
mjennin2
post 12.Jan.2018, 03:31 PM
Post #60

I think the really important lesson in all of this is that you just need to do your homework and know exactly what you are entitled to / need to do.

Not saying it should be like that, but all of this heartache and statements like how people are on antidepressants in this country because the "system is crippling", is more indicative of not doing proper research before making huge life changing moves.

Again - it shouldn't be that way, but I think this is a good teaching point for anyone else reading this, that as an EU citizens you need only hop over to the SV website, make sure you understand what you're entitled to and what you need to do to prove/ensure you meet the qualifications (and have those webpages screenshot on your phone in case You need to reference them in your interactions with employees, as I have seen two friends need to do when filing for their paperwork), and push the process along.

I know that assuming you need to do other peoples' jobs to get shit done here is not ideal (lol), but it's an important side note to mention that you really just need to be your best advocate in this country, and you will have a much more desirable experience!
+

35 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: