The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Where do most expats live in Stockholm. Help!

David Taylor
post 12.Jan.2006, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Hi Everyone,
The reason I would like this information is because I have found a store perfect for my products. However it is in Nacka which is on the east side of Stockholm heading towards Gustavsberg. Would people come out this way to buy sausages and other meat products that they miss from home. All help and advice is most welcome.
Go to the top of the page
+
Rachel F
post 12.Jan.2006, 08:41 PM
Post #2

Ooooh sausages!

No, please don't have your shop in Nacka...it's a lovely place but not nearly handy enough for those of us who use public transport around town. I'm not sure what the rents are like but Södermalm might be a good bet ...if you can get it close to the English Shop, which only sells frozen sausages, you might get a bit of ghetto oglomoration (is that the correct term?) happening...Mars bars and Branston in one shop and then a dash around the corner for our sausages and pork pies. If not, maybe one of the other food halls like the Hotorget...

Out of town, Danderyd is probably the suburb with the largest amount of English expats.

Now, if you were to offer home deliveries, then I guess it wouldn't matter too much and I'd have a standing order for sure.
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 12.Jan.2006, 09:00 PM
Post #3

David Taylor, I think that you are approaching your potential business from the wrong point of view. It's not a question of finding the right spot for some expat community but providing a business which will attract Swedes.

I know that this sounds most parochial but they are most easily attracted to real new markets. Here in Lidingö, a fish market was recently opened, and the conventional wisdom was that it would get nowhere. Actually, it has been selling more fish than it can provide.

In sum, concentrate on really good items that other stores don't provide, get the local media pushing what are are supplying, and the customers will be there, I promise you!
+
*Tom*
post 12.Jan.2006, 09:03 PM
Post #4

Nah, not Nacka. I'm sure there's a fair bit of cash floating around out there, but I reckon Katie's right - better to be closer to the tunnelbanan. I wouldn't rule out selling to Swedes, either, you know.

One of the indoor markets could be good - the right sort of atmosphere - but I doubt it's easy to get a spot there.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do. I've looked at your site and I'll be up for a bit of Lincolnshire when you're up and running.
+
Jeanette
post 12.Jan.2006, 09:10 PM
Post #5

Hej David! Out of interest, do you do sausage rolls? I couldn't see them on your homepage. Realised over xmas how much I miss them. Nice and flakey. Mmmmm.
+
David Taylor
post 12.Jan.2006, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Thanks guys. I will be doing home deliveries to people who can't get out to the store. One of the reasons I like the store in Nacka is that there are a lot of Swedes living in that area and I'am trying to get into that market. The thing with the swedes is that they don't like the sound of them but once they try them it's a totally different story. I will be doing fresh sausage rolls, pies and anything else people miss from home to do with meat. I will even be doing cheese from Ireland and Great Britain. It will actually be a delicatessen store with a lot to choose from.
+
Rachel F
post 12.Jan.2006, 09:25 PM
Post #7

My stomach is growling.
+
*David OL*
post 13.Jan.2006, 09:09 AM
Post #8

David. If you can bung on a few Aussie meat pies, I'll keep you in business just by feeding my own tumm.

Good luck mate. Make sure you post an add / telephone number and I'll be in touch. :wink:

Cheers!
+
*Wilding*
post 13.Jan.2006, 10:51 AM
Post #9

Hi David,

I saw a survey a year ago showing where different immigrant groups in Stockholm were concentrated. They didn't mention where the Irish were (too small a group, maybe), but the Brits were concentrated in innerstan. I would therefore say that this is the best place to reach an expat market. It's also the best place to reach Swedes, given that your shop will be unique and people will therefore travel to get to it. Most people in the Stockholm region come into the centre of town, but Nacka is a bit off the beaten track for many, and as someone else mentioned, is poorly served by public transport.

Still, i appreciate that shop rents are higher in the centre, and I dare say that is a major consideration (although I think Kungsholmen is a bit cheaper than other areas, while still quite accessible)

Wherever you site your shop, I will certainly be a regular customer!! Dying for a decent pork pie and some Lincolnshire sausages (and really want to show for my Swedish friends how good British - and Irish - cheeses, meats, and pies can be!)
+
Matius
post 13.Jan.2006, 10:53 AM
Post #10

I love sauages.

I live in Vasastam, My mate lives in kungsholmen, my other English mate lives in Ostermalm. Anywhere central is good,
+
*Slardy*
post 13.Jan.2006, 11:00 AM
Post #11

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Please please please please please don't set up in Nacka. I agree with previous messages that while a nice place it is just TOO out of the way for most people. I am personally prepared to travel half an hour for a good snag, but somewhere more central would be perfect.

tongue.gif
+
David Taylor
post 13.Jan.2006, 11:05 AM
Post #12

I would love to have a store in the city centre and probably will at some stage. The only problem for me is the rent which is very, very high in the city. For the store in Nacka the rent is around 20000:- and for the same size store in the centre is anywhere from 50000:- to 100000:- per month. So I think a good solution is to have a delivery service as running a van for the year is much cheaper for a year than it is to hire a store in the city centre. The other problem is thereisn't any stores available in the city that meet my requirements.
+
Beth
post 13.Jan.2006, 11:12 AM
Post #13

I think that a 'burb could work David, but Nacka is a bus ride rather than a subway ride away. and for me, a long-time resident of stockholm, even the tvärbana or pendeltåg doesn't count in the "on the line" convenience...don't know exactly why.

södermalm does offer many very affordable rental spots, often not much pricier than a center in a 'burb. Hornstull is very "up and coming" and has a market STREET (see www.streetinstockholm.se) yet there are many commerical sites that probably don't cost too much since it's still not chic enough.

the corporate expat communities are concentrated in the danderyd, täby, lidingö municipalities --and central stockholm-- while the "mixed" couples/families are a little bit everywhere though most often in "närföroterna" like solna, sundbyberg, liljeholmen, midsommarkransan, aspudden, enskede and of course--nacka.

I'll call everyone's attention to David's ad already on the left sidebar..i've checked it out, disappointed that you were in Gb and not here...happy as a sausage you'll be in our neck of the sweden woods snart.
+
Alfredo
post 13.Jan.2006, 11:40 AM
Post #14

Yes, good luck with the sausages !

Do you sell organic meat as well ?

Certainly when it comes to meat products, I'm hoping organic farming's going to take off, and people will start taking more of an interest in local produce.

I was also interested to see you moving to Stockholm.

Perhaps one day, some budding entrepreneur will start selling sausages in Falun / Borlänge area !

Oh happy day ...
+
David Taylor
post 13.Jan.2006, 07:47 PM
Post #15

I think organic beef is very good but it is still quite difficult to get in this country. I'am now looking at some premises in Sundbyberg and Hammarby as another option.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: