The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8   Reply to this topic

Offensive language

Roowhip
post 4.Feb.2006, 06:54 PM
Post #106

Julie Ryman wrote:
Yes, on a forum everything can be thought out first. I'm curious what one who does not curse says when they drop something on their foot?

FR-Ouch or maybe oof.

Perhaps FR has never been in sudden physical pain because this image is just too funny..one drops brick on foot or even better accidentally cuts their leg off---
"oh oopsy daisy, ouch ouch ouch...ooohh Oh my goodness gracious me.."

I am not one to swear often but like it has been mentioned, on the right occasion and for the right effect I see no problem with it..however one time that I was in sudden immense physical pain was when I fell over a cement pile and did damage to my knee..it was quite therapeutic to scream out sh.. sh..fck.

It's also possible to harrass, abuse, and belittle people without using profanity. And then these people get upon their high horse and brag because they never use profanity(???????????????????????).
Couldn't agree more Julie!
Go to the top of the page
+
*Jen6*
post 4.Feb.2006, 07:46 PM
Post #107

QUOTE (Julie Ryman)
It's also possible to harrass, abuse, and belittle people without using profanity.

Agreed.

And then these people get upon their high horse and brag because they never use profanity(???????????????????????).

It wasn't my intention to talk down to anyone or brag - simply to state that one can exist without. Some of my dearest friends have extremely colorful volcabularies. Must be my wiring. When I speak, I don't conciously decide not to cuss, lol. I guess it just comes down to the fact that it's not important to me.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 4.Feb.2006, 08:16 PM
Post #108

QUOTE (Jen6)
It wasn't my intention to talk down to anyone or brag - simply to state that one can exist without. Some of my dearest friends have extremenly colorful volcabularies. Must be my wiring. When I speak, I don't conciously decide not to cuss, lol. I guess it just comes down to the fact that it's not important to me.

I didn't think you were talking down or bragging at all.
[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/873.gif[/img]
I agree with the not making a conscious decision not to, though for me it depends on the people I'm around. I do tend to use profanity for deliberate effect, so I can't say I never use it. I also use it in moments of surprise (the brick on the foot example) and sometimes it's the patois of the group.

As a point of interest, some books that have been banned or censored with the cited reasons including profanity or offensive language:

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
My Friend Flicka by Mary O?Hara
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
+
Julie Ryman
post 4.Feb.2006, 08:43 PM
Post #109

Jen, you're cool. That was not slanted at you, just some people in general. I didn't view you that way. smile.gif I do respect the choice not to curse, I just don't think it means your poor, unsuccessful, uneducated, unhappy...if you do, like some imply. I do try not to use curse words too much, as I have 3 kids, and I don't think it's cool coming out of the mouth of a 3 year old! So, when in their presence (which is most of the time) I don't.
+
Julie Ryman
post 5.Feb.2006, 02:52 AM
Post #110

I just happened to be looking at the "What Isn't Sexy" topic,and hells bells if there isn't a post from you-know-who(FR) where she says DAMN! OOOOPPPSSSS!!!! :oops: Guess she does let them rip sometimes. :twisted: I'm proud of you,FR!
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 5.Feb.2006, 03:09 AM
Post #111

You'd better QFT it before she goes and uses the edit button to do away with the evidence.! [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/859.gif[/img]
+
Julie Ryman
post 5.Feb.2006, 03:14 AM
Post #112

I don't care. I saw it, that's all that matters. She probably should edit it so here cover isn't blown.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 5.Feb.2006, 03:20 AM
Post #113

I moved it to the thread where it originated with a link back here.
+
Julie Ryman
post 5.Feb.2006, 03:24 AM
Post #114

Melanie, when I came across that, I just couldn't resist, I really tried. I'll not say anymore now, no need to rub it in.
+
Julie Ryman
post 5.Feb.2006, 03:32 AM
Post #115

QUOTE (FR)
I'm implying that the people you associate with are neither successful nor well-educated. I base that on the fact that they have to resort to swearing.
+
Julie Ryman
post 5.Feb.2006, 03:34 AM
Post #116

QUOTE (FR)
Ouch or maybe oof.

-Or maybe DAMN!!!!

I'm done now.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 5.Feb.2006, 03:35 AM
Post #117

Ok. No rubbing. I moved my QFT to the not sexy thread, even. Want to talk about book banning in schools because of language?

Two books that are frequently on the banned list are To Kill a Mocking Bird and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn due to the use or words considered racial slurs. I find this interesting because both books actually have a fairly strong stance in favor of acceptance/tolerance.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 5.Feb.2006, 03:37 AM
Post #118

QUOTE (Julie Ryman)
Melanie, when I came across that, I just couldn't resist, I really tried. I'll not say anymore now, no need to rub it in.

I thought you were serious. I even felt bad for a minute there. Man, I'm sooooo gullible. :shock: :oops: [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/859.gif[/img]
+

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: