The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Am I the only one who dislikes the new format of The Local?

Murray
post 17.Oct.2005, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Change back
Go to the top of the page
+
*Sill Y*
post 17.Oct.2005, 10:29 PM
Post #2

Y E S
+
Murray
post 17.Oct.2005, 10:35 PM
Post #3

Sill Y- Do you prefer this new format? For me it seems a little tougher to just jump into a conversation than it used to be. It may just take time getting used to, but these are the first posts I have made since they implemented the new format. At first I though everyone just stopped posting on this site--but then I realized I had to click through to the posts.
+
*Sill Y*
post 17.Oct.2005, 11:40 PM
Post #4

Hej
At first it might look to be a little more complicated and round about.

Underneath The Local at the top of the page you will see DISCUSS and clicking on that opens all of the topics at once and it isn't necessary to go from story to story and then cilck on 'comment' in order to type out your opinions.

Also, you can see the forums column next to the article headers and clicking on that will open all the comments for that particular forum. That makes it easy to follow threads.

As I look at it now I see :
Anything goes
Living in Sweden
Moving to Sweden
All the News
etc
All of these threads are available with one click.

Enjoy it all.
+
*Nigel E.j. Griffiths*
post 18.Oct.2005, 01:07 PM
Post #5

While it is appreciated, that the Local has gone to alot of trouble to make the changes. It does seem to me that the exercise is somewhat mechanical, whereas, before it was more spontaneous. I feel now that by the time your ready to write that comment, that feel, that something. Lets call it the creative juices have dried up.

Also, I have noted that the replies, comments or whatever have now become mechanical, reserved, distant and cold. So it would seem, something has been lost in the transition. Or is the Local's way...the too Swedish way.If so, then it may prove to be less interesting to comment. And going on the lack of responce , I may to be correct in my assumption. :twisted:
+
Murray
post 18.Oct.2005, 02:49 PM
Post #6

Yes Nigel, I totally agree with you. Actually, one of the funner parts about reading this site were your witty comments and banter. I sorta detect a drop in your usual sharpness of late;-)
+
Hannah
post 18.Oct.2005, 02:53 PM
Post #7

I too was horrified when i visited the website a few weeks ago to find it had been messed around with. I thought i would never again be able to have the pleasure of reading Nigel's wonderfully amusing comments! biggrin.gif Took me a good wee while to find where all the comments had been hidden away...thank god i found them! Reading The Local's comments is my only pleasure for this poor expat brit. sad.gif
+
*Nigel E.j. Griffiths*
post 18.Oct.2005, 03:09 PM
Post #8

Murray, The way it was before, was like sex, in the same room of course. Now its like sex by post, and by the time ones is ready for the next move (if its still up by then), one is still waiting for the mailman. Your right of course, there are many who do not post anymore, and even if they were a pain in the ass, it was fun mixing it with them in a good natured way. I suppose the Local now is run by a bunch of Swede's, and that accounts for the changes. And as they are Swede's, they will not change their missionary position, how boring. I have noticed a change in my style though, it seems to be darker and more crude, a bit like banging away at a centerfold. The other changes are, the wooly headed women are trying to take over...my dead body. And the others post as if they were priests or dried up prunes. gone are the days of picking the worms out of bullshit, oh dear, what will come of it all. :twisted:
+
*David OL*
post 18.Oct.2005, 03:22 PM
Post #9

Too right Nigel - it's a bit like doggy style nowadays - always having to get it in from behind...
tongue.gif
+
*Nigel E.j. Griffiths*
post 18.Oct.2005, 03:25 PM
Post #10

Dear Local,

I know you think I'm a pain in the ass, ok your right, happy now. Now I'm not wanting to see the same old crap about the ... funny old fish of a thingy. Take the financial loss and get back to the way we were. OK you may end up in court, but think of that as a prize. And I know you miss the excitement of trying to catch posters out when they went to far. Now I can't print the fuck word, without your computer, saying, it's that slime ball again trying to get one over on us...again. Come on chaps, fess up you liked the old way, so lets go there. And we will promise we will tap on your advertizers more often = more money for you guys. Oh, sorry I forgot your Swede's, so you don't think like the rest of us.
:twisted:
+
*08adele*
post 18.Oct.2005, 03:35 PM
Post #11

I'm going to disagree with you again Nigel... I think this section is great fun. I reckon you're just a frustrated journalist at heart, and you used to like seeing your own words under their articles. Daily Mail turn you down? :wink:
+
Murray
post 18.Oct.2005, 05:31 PM
Post #12

Nigel- I retract my previous post. You still got it!!!

We could start a petition in this "discuss" forum asking them to go back to their old ways, but I guess that would be hippocritical, i.e. using the advantages from the new system to get rid of the old.
+
The Local
post 18.Oct.2005, 05:41 PM
Post #13

Dear all

Thanks again for your comments - much appreciated. We agree that there were good things about the way the site used to be, but for many reasons we had to change it.

That said, in our humble view this is better. The discussions are much freer, anyone can start a topic and once you get used to the format it's easier to keep track of a particular line of chat. (If you have a favourite poster you can also search by name. Just type 'Nigel' into the search box.)

We want to give as many people as possible the chance to get involved in as wide a range of discussions as possible. Since we launched the new version, there has been a massive rise in the number of comments added - and it's great to see so many new contributors.

And without it we never would have been treated to the Lincolnshire Village Tales, the Analysis of Flirting in Sweden, or the Critique of Swedish Table Manners.

If you're still not convinced, I can only say that I hope it grows on you!

Kind regards

James Savage
Editor - The Local

PS. And for the record, The Local is owned, run and written by Brits, Americans, Australians, Brazilians and assorted other foreigners living and working in Sweden. No Swedes. Yet.
+
*Sill Y*
post 18.Oct.2005, 06:05 PM
Post #14

PS. And for the record, The Local is owned, run and written by Brits, Americans, Australians, Brazilians and assorted other foreigners living and working in Sweden. No Swedes. Yet.

Just what I thought - no E.T.'s
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: