The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Format changes to the Local, are they beneficial ?

*Nigel E.j. Griffiths*
post 6.Sep.2005, 07:57 PM
Post #1

While it is appreciated, that the Local has gone to alot of trouble to make the changes. It does seem to me that the exercise is somewhat mechanical, whereas, before it was more spontaneous. I feel now that by the time your ready to write that comment, that feel, that something. Lets call it the creative juices have dried up.

Also, I have noted that the replies, comments or whatever have now become mechanical, reserved, distant and cold. So it would seem, something has been lost in the transition. Or is the Local's way...the Swedish way.If so, then it may prove to be less interesting to comment. And going on the lack of responce today, I may to be correct in my assumption, that's a first.
Go to the top of the page
+
*doobydoo*
post 6.Sep.2005, 09:05 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Nigel E.j. Griffiths)
Lets call it the creative juices have dried up...

Nigel, from the little I know of you I can't believe your juices EVER dry up.

I think this new section is fun. Well done the local.
+
*Boris Sidis Sidis*
post 6.Sep.2005, 09:19 PM
Post #3

The comments have become sporadic. You have to go through a laberynth to find everybody and it takes too much time. Besides, freedom of speech has become now more than a myth, a joke. There is no freedom of speech at all, the way I see it. The Forum took away the spontaneity that was characteristic of The Local including the huge mistakes made by the censorhip.

In my opinion, you are playing Russian roulette. Let us wait when you will commit suicide.

Make the Forum easier going back to the old format and just create a Forum for those who want to discuss things from The Local. Otherwise we will meet you at the cemetery.

Boris
+
*Andersson*
post 6.Sep.2005, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Ok this is where everyone is..
+
*Boris Sidis Sidis*
post 6.Sep.2005, 09:49 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Nigel E.j. Griffiths)
While it is appreciated, that the Local has gone to alot of trouble to make the changes. It does seem to me that the exercise is somewhat mechanical, whereas, before it was more spontaneous. I feel now that by the time your ready to write that comment, that feel, that something. Lets call it the creative juices have dried up.

Also, I have noted that the replies, comments or whatever have now become mechanical, reserved, distant and cold. So it would seem, something has been lost in the transition. Or is the Local's way...the Swedish way.If so, then it may prove to be less interesting to comment. And going on the lack of responce today, I may to be correct in my assumption, that's a first.

Furthermore, I have seen that there are many "news" where you cannot comment anymore. So, what is the use for having them in the site? Delete them and move on. They are obsolete if nobody can add anything to them anymore.

Boris
+
*Kodos*
post 7.Sep.2005, 12:11 AM
Post #6

Boris...

How can I engage in witty repartee with you, when my paws are holding my cheese? Eeeek eeeek eeeek... laugh.gif

Seriously...any luck in contacting your friends?
+
Bruce B
post 7.Sep.2005, 12:21 AM
Post #7

I have been waiting for this. I knew the traffic was getting high. Well done, takes time for the regulars to readjust to the new format. Some more than others.

So everyone knows, even the people who I debate/argue with the strongest, I could also drink a beer and have a laugh with you too.
+
*marshman*
post 9.Sep.2005, 12:18 AM
Post #8

Can,t say that I approve,it's like Nigel says,to mechanical.don't like having to write in subject,should be able to go direct to the subject one wants to discuss/comment on without this fuss.
Not the same banter neither which is a great shame.
The site has become "too Swedish" smile.gif :cry:
+
*Andersson*
post 9.Sep.2005, 04:07 PM
Post #9

I have to agree with most posts above; this is all getting too technical and honestly I haven't been commenting this week because I haven't had a chance till now to work out what I'm doing.

On the positive
-like having an area for general discussion
-like that you have the National sections so you can discuss isses related to your county of origin

On the negative
-Every article is under this discussion area (it's too much) so you lose spontaneity in replying to the specific article (would be enough with a general discussion forum/Nationalty forum but you keep the oprion to make comments on articles as before)
-I can't see the other comments above when replying

Edit, Re above, I now see I can scroll down to see other comments
+
*Andersson*
post 9.Sep.2005, 04:09 PM
Post #10

Plus I don't really want to get an email every time someone replies to any discussion I have made a comment on..or is this just for the Nationalality forum?
+
The Local
post 9.Sep.2005, 04:36 PM
Post #11

Thanks for the comments so far - we are taking note.

But for various complicated reasons we had to separate the comments from the articles themselves.

Of course, we wanted The Local to remain a place where people could comment on the day's news, and we also wanted to open up discussion to more general issues. So this discussion forum kills two birds with one stone.

With this new section, we hope you'll find it a lot easier to start your own lines of discussion (like this one), keep track of ongoing discussions, search the section for subjects (try the search link at the top) and generally get a lot more out of the site.

Because it's away from the articles, it means that discussions can flow much more freely and should be even more entertaining.

In answer to a couple of specific points:

I don't really want to get an email every time someone replies to any discussion I have made a comment on

Just untick 'Notify me when a reply is posted' when you add your comment.

I can't see the other comments above when replying

All the previous comments are in the 'Topic review' window just below the box where you type. Most recent comments at the top.

The site has become "too Swedish"

Now that was below the belt. :wink:
+
Bruce B
post 9.Sep.2005, 04:38 PM
Post #12

Local,
I think it would be wise to have a lock that you could apply to any discussion. In the future this will create a problem where one topic stays on top for too long, with out any moving on. This could also lead to nasty arguments, not debating or discussions, taking a dominant role to the forum instead of the exchanging of thoughts and ideas. A heated discussion is one thing, nothing wrong with that, but in the future I can predict an abuse of the forum and a problem of eliminating an argument from drowing out everyone else.
+
Bruce B
post 9.Sep.2005, 04:46 PM
Post #13

:?

I see now, you already have that covered.
+
*Dimitri*
post 9.Sep.2005, 09:20 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (The Local)
Thanks for the comments so far - we are taking note.

But for various complicated reasons we had to separate the comments from the articles themselves.

Of course, we wanted The Local to remain a place where people could comment on the day's news, and we also wanted to open up discussion to more general issues. So this discussion forum kills two birds with one stone.

With this new section, we hope you'll find it a lot easier to start your own lines of discussion (like this one), keep track of ongoing discussions, search the section for subjects (try the search link at the top) and generally get a lot more out of the site.

Because it's away from the articles, it means that discussions can flow much more freely and should be even more entertaining.

In answer to a couple of specific points:

I don't really want to get an email every time someone replies to any discussion I have made a comment on

Just untick 'Notify me when a reply is posted' when you add your comment.

I can't see the other comments above when replying

All the previous comments are in the 'Topic review' window just below the box where you type. Most recent comments at the top.

The site has become "too Swedish"

Now that was below the belt. :wink:

I am new here, i have to agree that it looks too Swedish, to complicated, too burocratic. another punch below the belt? sorry if it hurt. please dont make it "too boring"

I saw the local some weeks ago and believe it was easier. a news, comments, more comments and was all. Now, a news, discuss on page 5, do not like it edit, see what you wrote, go back to page 3 and continue. if this is not burocratic what is it?
+
*Nigel E.j. Griffiths*
post 12.Sep.2005, 12:46 PM
Post #15

Dear Local,

Your now too Swedish!!

You must be blind, if you cannot see that interest in the Local is on the wane. Even if its cost you a bob or two, lets get back to the other format. :evil:
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: