The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Finding work as a UK nurse in Sweden

Chances of getting a job and other advice

*Tara x*
post 30.May.2009, 02:54 PM
Post #1

Hej!

I'm studying to be a general/adult nurse in England. Once I have my degree I'm hoping to move to Sweden to be with my partner, is it possible to be a general/adult nurse there?

I read I have to pass certain tests (SFI) but once I am fluent in Swedish, will it be a problem for me to undertake work as a nurse in Sweden?

Thanks smile.gif

Tara
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 30.May.2009, 03:08 PM
Post #2

You will need to have your credentials approved and your language skills tested, but since you have a UK degree this should not be a problem:

http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/en/Licensing/Euleginfoeng.htm
+
Puffin
post 30.May.2009, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Most heath authorities require a higher level test than the basic SFI test and want people with either A-level (gymnasiet Svenska 2) or the TISUS test - however it is possible to get this in approx 1-2 years - if you are in the right area Södertälje in the southern area of Stockholm does a special SFA (Swedish for graduates) which combines SFI withe the other courses needed in a special course for healthcare professionals that combines Swedish lessons with work experience placements to learn the routines etc. - the course is full time for 1 year.

http://www.komvux.sodertalje.se/sfa_vard/index.htm

- there are also non-specific SFA courses at other universities that get you to A-level in 1-1½ years
+
Hannah
post 30.May.2009, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Hi Tara!

I'm a UK trained nurse working in Sweden! It was pretty straightforward actually...got my degree converted to a swedish licence to practice. i downloaded the form from the Socialstyrelsen website.

http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/NR/rdonlyres...C0/0/B45355.pdf

I completed SFI and SAS A before i got a job as a nurse. Nothing more! It seems to be up to the employer to assess how good your swedish is and if it's good enough to work. A lot of the vocab is the same and you pick up other bits pretty quickly. I had been living in Sweden for almost 4 years before i started working as a nurse, did some cleaning jobs and child care before that. Was a huge help to get the hang of the language.

Working as a nurse in Sweden is great! About to go back having been on maternity leave for a year...and actually quite looking forward to it!

Hope this was of some help!
+
tara casey
post 27.Jul.2009, 10:50 PM
Post #5

how likely is it a UK citizen moving to Sweden will get a job without speaking swedish?

Topics merged by admin
+
tara casey
post 27.Jul.2009, 10:59 PM
Post #6

oh , and I do appreciate what Canuk said to Michegan about no chance of working and I totally understand why.
I however am confused as I cant understand how a short course in Swedish would help me be a nurse here as I stll would not be in a position to speak good enough Swedish.

I have a masters and wonder if working as a research nurse for a university would be a possiblity , if not direct contact with patients with my lack of swedish.Any thoughts anyone?
+
Mzungu
post 27.Jul.2009, 10:59 PM
Post #7

Absolute zero!
+
tara casey
post 27.Jul.2009, 11:15 PM
Post #8

very helpful! thanks
+
Elljay
post 28.Jul.2009, 12:13 AM
Post #9

Hi Tara, I'm afraid the rude "gentlemen" might be right, but try checking out Sahlgrenska university hospital. I tried to add a link, but their page doesn't work properly at the moment.
+
Puffin
post 28.Jul.2009, 07:37 AM
Post #10

There are very few jobs available to healthcare staff that speak no Swedish - I'm not sure how anyone would think it would work without being able to:
- communicate with patients
- communicate with other staff
- read the medical files
- read the prescribed medication

For non-EU healthcare staff you will need the following courses:
SFI
SAS Grund (GCSE)
SAS Gymnasiet A (AS level)
SAS Gymnasiet B (A2 level) or the TISUS test
An average time to get these courses is 1-3 years. There is a place in Stockholm that offers an intensive Swedish for Healthcare course which takes 12-18 months full time and includes work experience.

The rules are a little less stringent for EU citizens as health authorities (Landsting) are allowed to set their own test levels - but you would usually need some gymnasiet (A-level) courses. SFI level is almost certainly not enough

Another possibility is to get a nursing assistant job while pursuing language studies - once you get to about SAS grund level som places will hire foreign medical staff to work in old peoples homes or home care etc.
+
tara casey
post 28.Jul.2009, 09:23 AM
Post #11

Thanks for all your help guys.

Oh , and Puffin, I understand what you are saying about communication , meds etc. This is why I asked the question. I completely understand why it could be impossible/difficult.

However, as I have no choice but to give up my 12 year career and move to Sweden with my husbands job I thought it would be worth just asking the question.

Thanks,

Tara
+
Puffin
post 28.Jul.2009, 10:19 AM
Post #12

I think if you throw yourself into language studies and especially if you can get on an intensive course then it should be possible to be looking for work within a reasonable time.

It is also worth checking with your local health authority whether they are recruiting/supporting EU medical staff - Landsting - there are some (usually rural areas) that are actively trying to recruit EU medical staff and offer support etc - for example Dalarna
http://www.ltdalarna.se/templates/Base____2842.aspx

However many health authorities are feeling the effects of the credit crunch so I'm not sure how active their recruitment programmes are.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: