The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Chances of finding IT work in Sweden

As a foreigner with experience who speaks Swedish

Salmon
post 23.Jul.2009, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Hi Guys

I have moved to Sweden about 8 months ago.

In the past years, i have studied translation, later i have moved to Dubai where i have got a wonderfull job position within IT, i have worked for one.com , a known danish webhosting company during two years and a half, without having a background in IT but with some basic knowledge. They took me because i speak 5 languages as it's hard to find a totally IT guy that speaks many languages.

Since i came to Sweden ( to join my girlfriend ) i study sfi, im in D level now, and i would like to know what are my chances to find work in IT related jobs here in Sweden, taking in consideration that my background is not in IT, but that i have worked in a company which is also known here in Sweden, and that i have the experience because i feel that i have learned all that i had to learn in 2 years and a half in real practice,( i worked as a helpdesk). In other words, i would like to know how can my previous experience helps me in the future here in Sweden, in order to reevaluate or validate my previous experience ? do they just recognise your experience like maybe in the usa, once you speak swedish, or will i have to study IT in order to have both, the experience and the background ? please advice .

Thanks for your valuable posts
Go to the top of the page
+
skane refugee
post 23.Jul.2009, 11:45 AM
Post #2

who you know and personal recommendation are usually the key to getting a decent job in Sweden ...

therefore suggest you network like crazy among any of your former colleagues who have a Swedish connection

IMHO having worked for a Scandi company (even in Dubai) should be a big plus (assuming the references are good of course!)

In this economic environment the last thing a would-be employer wants to do is advertise a vacancy ... they'll have thousands of applicants to wade through ... better to hire a friend of a friend 'off-market' ... suggest you try to be that 'friend of a friend' if possible!

Good luck!
+
Kind Man
post 23.Jul.2009, 12:05 PM
Post #3

Forget about working for at least six months, focus on your SFI and girlfriend smile.gif
Once you start speaking the Swedish language then Allah is Karim that you will find job. but if I were you I wouldn't bother to look for job, i would have only focused on learning the language (Swedish).

beside that to get job in Sweden depends mostly on your luck. you will find many masters,engineer doctors. who are jobless and at the same time you will find ppl with no education background they have job or get job.

Just study Swedish that is important. and pardon me that I have replied before Puffin. I found him very helpful person . he is archive of Sweden, He should be the Admin of this site. because Bob is editing always our titles lol kidding.
+
kerostarfx
post 23.Jul.2009, 12:34 PM
Post #4

study SFI + look for a job simultaneously

A good start is registering with your nearest Arbetsförmedlingen (AMS.se). As mentioned above, networking is a huge bonus when you start applying for jobs, if you know someone in the industry, that's going to help you a bunch!

Does your previous employer have an office in Sweden? or at least maybe you old boss might have contacts?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 23.Jul.2009, 02:22 PM
Post #5

If you have working experience in IT, I suggest that you start looking for jobs and networking before your skills become obsolete. IT is one of the few markets where Swedish skills aren't that necessary...
+
Salmon
post 23.Jul.2009, 02:37 PM
Post #6

Hi guys

Thank you all for your replies, it's really helpfull, i hope to read more replies from you, Thanks
+
Eddymu
post 24.Jul.2009, 01:44 PM
Post #7

Hi Salmon,

What other languages do you speak? Once your Swedish is up a bit more and if you are still looking for work PM me as I work for an IT company with a large helpdesk and multi-lingual staff are usually considered. FYI: The other languages of our customers are Danish, Norwegian, Finish and English.

Best of luck!
+
Salmon
post 24.Jul.2009, 03:13 PM
Post #8

Hi Eddy

Thanks a lot for your reply, i do speak french, spanish, an intermediate german, and i am on my way to catch swedish.

Thank you for your feed back
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: