The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Swedish teaching job for foreigners

Elementary school teacher

AngelosAr
post 30.Oct.2017, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Hello,
I am studying to be a Primary Teacher in Greece. I am also learning Swedish (to take the TISUS degree). I would love to move in Sweden to work as a teacher in Elementary Schools but i don't know if this job is in demand. I would really like your opinion about that! Am i able to work as a teacher in Sweden with Greek Degree and the last degree in Swedish Language? Is this job in demand? What are the average salaries for teachers?

Thank you,
Angelos from Greece
Go to the top of the page
+
rex
post 30.Oct.2017, 03:19 PM
Post #2

Teacher jobs are in demand but the requirements are quite high for everyone, and perhaps even more for foreigners. You are expected to speak excellent Swedish, usually shown by a TISUS or similar certificate and have acquired a teacher legitimation. As a rule of thumb, the latter is given out to those who fulfill the requirements set up by skolverket, which change fairly often. Google is your friend here.

In your case you need to ask to what degree your teacher diploma from Greece is going to be valid here in Sweden. It is highly likely that you'd have to spend a year or two getting "Kompletterande utbildning för utländska lärare" at another Swedish university (they all require TISUS for that), it's basically the pedagogy part applied to the Swedish society and school system. It's not super hard, but it takes time. The advantage is that you're almost certain to get a job perhaps even while you're studying, unless you're absolutely atrocious at your job.
+
AngelosAr
post 30.Oct.2017, 09:07 PM
Post #3

Thank you rex!!! Is is possible to work as a pre-school teacher with Primary Teacher degree? As i know from some friends this job is in high demand. Also, what is the average salary for teachers? I know there is no standard salary. biggrin.gif
+
rex
post 30.Oct.2017, 09:38 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (AngelosAr @ 30.Oct.2017, 09:07 PM) *
Thank you rex!!! Is is possible to work as a pre-school teacher with Primary Teacher degree? As i know from some friends this job is in high demand. Also, what is ... (show full quote)

I know there is a different degree for pre-school teachers, whether yours is enough is a different question.

The salary differs between schools and regions, but on average it's anywhere between 24 and 33 thousand kronor before taxes, which in your case would be 30 percent. Salaries are also negotiated by the teachers' labor union, so there's not much to talk about your salary with the school. A typical teacher salary is enough to pay for rent and other expenses and have a decent very average Swedish lifestyle, nothing lavish but nothing shitty either. It's very middle of the road, a median salary here is between 25 and 30k depending on the region, for comparison.

The problem with being a teacher is that you're required to spend five years getting an education, and then you get a very average salary, while there are other high paying jobs. A typical (educated) Swede would not work for anything less than 45k in Stockholm for example, so teacher jobs aren't very popular nowadays among the natives, even though they're absolutely necessary. However they are becoming very popular among foreigners who have decent Swedish but cannot get a well-paid job because of the barriers of entry for more lucrative jobs.
+
AngelosAr
post 31.Oct.2017, 08:00 PM
Post #5

I have heard for that problem but foreigners like me (from Greece) should me thankful with such a salary! Teachers here (if you made it to find a job as deputy teacher) are getting paid 890-1000€ per month. New deputy teachers are getting paid 9200kr. I know that the prices are different but the standard of living is way too better in Sweden! I love sweden but the only problem is the rain and the sun, i am not used to rain and i am used to sunny days all year long! The educational systen of Sweden is WAY TOO better than many other educational systems in Europe. I hope that it's not that difficult to find a job as a Swedish primary teacher tongue.gif
Thank you again rex!
+
Savage
post 1.Nov.2017, 08:26 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (AngelosAr @ 31.Oct.2017, 09:00 PM) *
The educational systen of Sweden is WAY TOO better than many other educational systems in Europe.

Thanks for the Laughs !
Since you are clearly taking the Pisa wink.gif
+
AngelosAr
post 1.Nov.2017, 02:03 PM
Post #7

What i was trying to say was «way better» probably without "too" tongue.gif. From my perspective thats the truth because i have seen other educational systems in Europe too.
+
Svedallas
post 1.Nov.2017, 02:52 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (AngelosAr @ 31.Oct.2017, 08:00 PM) *
I have heard for that problem but foreigners like me (from Greece) should me thankful with such a salary! Teachers here (if you made it to find a job as deputy teacher) ar ... (show full quote)

Are you sure the education is better in Sweden than other educational systems in Europe??? Truth be told, we do not.
There are better schools in Switzerland for example.

Also, before putting that claim, Finland is no.1. and is the most successful education system in the world.

Perhaps do some research if you are dedicated to teaching.
Or are there other motivations to teach in Sweden??
+
AngelosAr
post 1.Nov.2017, 02:56 PM
Post #9

I didn't say that Sweden has the best educational system! I said that Sweden has one of the best smile.gif (from my Greek prespective)
+
Gjeebes
post 1.Nov.2017, 04:58 PM
Post #10

"The educational systen of Sweden is WAY TOO better than many other educational systems in Europe."

Actually, this statement couldn't be more apt, in a sliding-off-to-the-side kind of way.

I wonder does teacher know that Sweden, by its own admission, is also ranked "the goodest" country?

But seriously Mistah, Sweden is NOT the answer to your woes. Money isn't everything, and as your are hailing from a socially forward society, with a rich and expansive culinary culture and vacation dreamland weather, you will simply wither and die in Sweden (expiration in mere days, not months).

And do you really want to waste your life teaching heavily entitled snowflake Swedish spoiled brats, who've never heard the word discipline, and who've never been corrected in their lives?
+
AngelosAr
post 1.Nov.2017, 06:03 PM
Post #11

It's not only matter of money. Having a stable job and having a good standard of living are the most important to me. I may "die" without Greece (culture, weather, food, family, friends) but if i stay here i will be without job, without good standard of living and so on. If i had a job in Greece i would definitely choose to stay in Greece but Greece has nothing to offer to me and to my kids (if i make in the future). I cannot find any other solution for what to do!
+
Svedallas
post 2.Nov.2017, 11:59 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (AngelosAr @ 1.Nov.2017, 02:56 PM) *
I didn't say that Sweden has the best educational system! I said that Sweden has one of the best smile.gif (from my Greek prespective)

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 1.Nov.2017, 04:58 PM) *
"The educational systen of Sweden is WAY TOO better than many other educational systems in Europe."Actually, this statement couldn't be more apt, in a sliding-of ... (show full quote)

I suggest you do more research.

Sweden is not the answer. Honestly speaking.
Try Finland or Denmark.

Good luck.
+
AngelosAr
post 2.Nov.2017, 01:41 PM
Post #13

I repeat, i did not say that sweden has the best but one of the best!!!!!!!!!!
+
Bsmith
post 2.Nov.2017, 09:34 PM
Post #14

You may even want to look into teaching jobs in China. Seriously, I had a colleague of mine who went there 15 years ago and has not looked back.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 2.Nov.2017, 11:10 PM
Post #15

Any information on how "new comers" are treated there???
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: