The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

As a swede growing up here. Is it boring?

How did you feel the difference when coming to swe

temp0rary
post 5.Nov.2019, 05:11 AM
Post #1

Hi. I grew up in sweden and have lived here all my life..
But im wondering if sweden or swedish people are boring compared to other people in other countries?
I have understood we are introverted, and closed off.
I should have travelled more. wink.gif

But are people in other countries more warm and friendly? Maybe a better collective atmosphere abroad? In some countries. Spain or portugal seems like they could have nice friendly social people compared to sweden.. Just a guess.

In what way did you notice how sweden where when you got here or swedish people? Just good to know!
I think sweden or it's people can maybe be a bit "cold" sometimes, but far from all! Or if it's the attitude.. It's something..
People from other countries seems more open and friendly. Thanks

Edit:
I have even read that on tinder people from sweden get more matches in other countries with the same profile. It's almost like they call swedish girls "boring" even if i don't agree really.. But ladies from other countries could be more fun also, i don't know.
Go to the top of the page
+
Saywhatwhat
post 6.Nov.2019, 04:40 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (temp0rary @ 5.Nov.2019, 06:11 AM) *
Hi. I grew up in sweden and have lived here all my life..But im wondering if sweden or swedish people are boring compared to other people in other countries? I have understood ... (show full quote)

This post is quite typically Swedish... where a Swede is aware of how weird their society is and asks others if they notice/ what they think about Swedes.

Every odd social behavior you notice, immigrants notice as well... and usually more pronounced
+
jagheter
post 6.Nov.2019, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Someone is acting as a Swede to troll Swedes biggrin.gif Fishy!
+
champaignepapi
post 6.Nov.2019, 10:13 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (temp0rary @ 5.Nov.2019, 05:11 AM) *
But im wondering if sweden or swedish people are boring

Yes.
No personality, no sense of humor, plain boring and dull.
There you go. smile.gif
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 6.Nov.2019, 10:23 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (champaignepapi @ 6.Nov.2019, 10:13 AM) *
Yes. . No personality, no sense of humor, plain boring and dull.. There you go. smile.gif

Plenty of swedish humor around. Just because it isn't the "fall on your ass/pie in the face"humor you might be used to, doesn't mean it isn't available.
+
champaignepapi
post 6.Nov.2019, 10:48 AM
Post #6

Yes. . No personality, no sense of humor, plain boring and dull.. There you go. smile.gif

Oh, I forgot a crucial one: socially retarded! Pardonne-moi! smile.gif
+
djmarko
post 6.Nov.2019, 07:33 PM
Post #7

The swedes i met in the UK are so fun loving, very social, they will never return back to sweden and they have told me this several times, me personally, when i pick a friend, it is regardless of race, creed, religion, if that person happens to be a Swede, then that is cool, i have met plenty decent folks here, i must be lucky or its either my good social skills in play
+
champaignepapi
post 7.Nov.2019, 07:58 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (djmarko @ 6.Nov.2019, 07:33 PM) *
The swedes i met in the UK are so fun loving, very social, they will never return back to sweden and they have told me this several times, me personally, when i pick a friend, ... (show full quote)

Humblebragging at its best lmao.
Yeah, same here, I happen to get along great w/ Swedes who used to live abroad, in fact one of my best friends is a Swede who spent 10 years in LA.
+
temp0rary
post 11.Nov.2019, 10:44 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (jagheter @ 6.Nov.2019, 10:07 AM) *
Someone is acting as a Swede to troll Swedes biggrin.gif Fishy!

I am swedish. =) Born and raised.. Gonna read all the replies now. A bit late but still. wink.gif
+
temp0rary
post 11.Nov.2019, 10:49 PM
Post #10

Alright. wink.gif Good to know how you think about it.

Saw another post of you! Are you french? How are the swedish girls/women compared to french girls/women?

QUOTE (champaignepapi @ 6.Nov.2019, 10:48 AM) *
Oh, I forgot a crucial one: socially retarded! Pardonne-moi! smile.gif

Yeah. Inte already knew or understood that. Compared to maybe french or people from the uk. Brazil, etc..

QUOTE (champaignepapi @ 7.Nov.2019, 07:58 AM) *
Humblebragging at its best lmao.. Yeah, same here, I happen to get along great w/ Swedes who used to live abroad, in fact one of my best friends is a Swede who spent 10 years in LA.

Yeah! Ofcourse there are allot of cool Swedes out there! But the fact he is living in LA says allot. And the atmosphere there might be more fun. Never been there. People become like their surroundings so yeah.
I bet your friend is a cooler dude in LA then if he lived in sweden those 10 years for sure.
+
temp0rary
post 11.Nov.2019, 10:51 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (djmarko @ 6.Nov.2019, 07:33 PM) *
The swedes i met in the UK are so fun loving, very social, they will never return back to sweden and they have told me this several times, me personally, when i pick a friend, ... (show full quote)

Yes. Ofcourse there are fun Swedes! Even in sweden. But the majority might be boring here..
Swedes that live abroad are probably more fun then the average swede here. For sure. =)
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 15.Nov.2019, 04:17 PM
Post #12

- Lack of eye contact specially among women.

- If you show ambition and enthusiastic attitude in a job interview then say goodbye to that job. The more passive you look the better your chances.(personal experience. I will write a post about it later on)

- Fit in society. The more homogeneous and expected behavior from the group the more accepted you will be.

- People don't like small talk only formal conversations.

- In sweden... men on one side and women on the other side. Despite the marketing about the progressive culture, in the real world there is a invisible line dividing both sexes.

- Lack of emotion, no so much laughing. People don't like making fun of themselves or
funny discussions. Relations are superficial, formal and cold.

- I am at a bus stop and say hi to a woman who is at the same place waiting for the bus. She doesn't say hi or even make eye contact and continues looking to infinity like if she was day dreaming.

- The feeling I live in a hive mind where everybody have similar opinions, dress in similar ways and even acts like in a ultra passive way with no so much emotions or even opinions. Feels like if everybody was controlled by a non written way of behavior.

- The general feeling I have is most swedes think they are the elite of the world. It was interesting how swedes asked me if we had universal health care system in my country in which I replied we had the 3 most cost effective health care in the world. Which the swede couldn't believe it because they think their healthcare is the best.
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2018/09/30/s...ient-in-europe/

- No problem is that bad for a swede. If 1 million people wait in line for rentals then it must be worse in Spain according to them. They think their system is flawless therefore it must be worse elsewhere. When the reality is the opposite.

- They speak fluent English but then no company will hire a foreigner who speaks English only. Swedes continuously advertise that they speak the best English on earth among the non native speakers but then sweden is a closed door country to anyone who wants to work as IT with English only(From personal experience).

- They say swedes are champions of freedom of speech but this country is one of the most media controlled places I have seen. Bad news are hidden, big flaws dismissed and the general feeling is that swedes are quiet passive or even conform and even defend the system. No hard questions asked and if you do the group will judge you as someone who is starting a conflict.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 15.Nov.2019, 04:22 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (temp0rary @ 11.Nov.2019, 11:51 PM) *
Yes. Ofcourse there are fun Swedes! Even in sweden. But the majority might be boring here.. . Swedes that live abroad are probably more fun then the average swede here. For sure. =)

Met a Swedish woman living in Spain. I asked her why didn't she move back to Sweden and have the chance to have job security and better salary.

She said..."I will never move to Sweden because in Spain I can be myself".

When a native swede chooses job instability and low wages as it happens in Spain for what you can find in Sweden then it means that there is a serious social problem in Sweden despite the better job security and salaries.

That was one of the most shocking answers I got from a swede living in Spain.
And trust me job market in Spain is the worst.

+
worldcitizen70
post 15.Nov.2019, 04:33 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 15.Nov.2019, 03:17 PM) *
- Lack of eye contact specially among women.- If you show ambition and enthusiastic attitude in a job interview then say goodbye to that job. The more passive you look the bet ... (show full quote)

What with all the recent news of bombings and stabbings, is Sweden still safe to live in? Even the BBC is now reporting the decline of the country! Sounds very dystopian. I am almost afraid to go there...
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 15.Nov.2019, 05:10 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (worldcitizen70 @ 15.Nov.2019, 05:33 PM) *
What with all the recent news of bombings and stabbings, is Sweden still safe to live in? Even the BBC is now reporting the decline of the country! Sounds very dystopian. ... (show full quote)

I maybe wrong but I don't think the situation in the country as a whole is that bad in that regard. There are pockets in which being around in that area is not wise but I don't think sweden is the war zone some media says.

However I think this latest mass migration way has been bad for everybody including immigrants.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: