The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
192 Pages V  « < 55 56 57 58 59 > »    Closed Topic

Sweden's corona response

Is the country making the right choice?

Henri
post 5.May.2020, 12:31 PM
Post #841

QUOTE (Rita O. @ 5.May.2020, 12:48 PM) *
I have more good news from the Italian lazaretto. Several doctors in various hospitals in the region have observed a clear softening of symptoms in the newly infected patient ... (show full quote)

Amen!!!
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 5.May.2020, 03:07 PM
Post #842

I had posted before that it seems no effort we make to stop pandemics work unless we vaccinate...However the virus eventually weakens on its own, loses the ability to infect and disappears...

History will prove that...they come and they go...

I am hearing now that it was here earlier than thought, it may have been in France in late December, these things are really not easy to track...

Here is the article:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/05...ead-europe.html
+
kilgore
post 6.May.2020, 04:41 PM
Post #843

QUOTE (Rita O. @ 5.May.2020, 12:48 PM) *
I suppose I'm an incurable optimist. biggrin.gif

The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
+
Rita O.
post 6.May.2020, 06:20 PM
Post #844

QUOTE (kilgore @ 6.May.2020, 05:41 PM) *
The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

Who knows, I might even catch it. tongue.gif

+
mjennin2
post 7.May.2020, 08:42 AM
Post #845

QUOTE (Gamla H?lsingebock @ 5.May.2020, 03:07 PM) *
I had posted before that it seems no effort we make to stop pandemics work unless we vaccinate...However the virus eventually weakens on its own, loses the ability to infect a ... (show full quote)

As my boss has always said, successful viruses don?t kill their hosts. Evolution favors a host that can survive the replication and infection phases. But I think it will also weaken because eventually, without an effective treatment or vaccine, it will end up picking off the low lying fruit as nature always tends to do. Culling the herd :/

But as time goes on, the research should indicate treatments to keep it from being so lethal. ARBs, ACE2 inhibitors, blood thinners, screenings for issues that are proving to compound individuals who are otherwise deemed to have ?no underlying conditions? (those with MTHFR mutations, antiphospholipid syndrome, blood clotting factors, etc. Maybe certain interleukin-blocking therapies could be useful. After all, it isn?t entirely the virus that kills, but rather often times our body?s own immune response that does. Therapies that can mitigate this will likely be a much better way to improve survival rates and lessen transmission windows than a vaccine, especially if this one continues to mutate into a variety of strains that each mutate according to their own will.

My 2-cents: regardless of how the various global strategies play out, Sweden took an unnecessarily wreckless gamble. They had enough of an indication to have imposed a 2-week quarantine on people returning from sportlov until they had time to assess the situation (but they didn?t), they assumed this virus operated like SARS-CoV-1 (even when current research showed it didn?t), they publicized until April that it wasn?t even transmissible when a person didn?t have symptoms (even though it was already obvious it did), and they chose to willingly let it sweep in with the goal in mind not to minimize it; but to keep it paced. Without having any information on long term damage that could be suffered by survivors. Lung damage, rental damage.. studies show that the virus replicates efficiency in the testes due to the ACE2 receptors in there. What if the virus somehow damaged the testes and created an entire global population of survivors that will suffer from infertility? Not the worst thing in the world, of course wink.gif BUT that would have a big impact of genetic diversity, depending on how it all went down. These are serious things to consider.

Had they chosen to lockdown just for a couple weeks to assess the situation, gather a little more intel, and stock their facilities better, they probably would have had the opportunity to make sure ?ldreboende personnel were properly equipped and trained, and the death toll could have been significantly lower.

But who knows. I feel like I?ve been through the 5 stages of grief with this country?s response and now I?ve come to accept it for what it is and just don?t really care anymore. *shrugs*
+
SeventhGuest
post 7.May.2020, 12:47 PM
Post #846

+
SeventhGuest
post 7.May.2020, 12:50 PM
Post #847

Could it be, that all these Covid-testing - while we know that PCR tests give about 50% wrong results - is only being done to increase the numbers of "cases", to increase the fear on the society?
Sweden does 100.000 to 150.000 tests a week now, or at least they say.
Let's test some papayas and label them Sven Svensson wink.gif
+
vasaru
post 7.May.2020, 01:05 PM
Post #848

+
SeventhGuest
post 7.May.2020, 01:08 PM
Post #849

CoronaVirus: CBS News BUSTED Using Fake Patients To Stage Event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rNCuKldZkQ

Can it be that more testing is only there to create fear and amenability in the public?
+
kilgore
post 7.May.2020, 01:30 PM
Post #850

+
vasaru
post 7.May.2020, 01:35 PM
Post #851

+
skogsbo
post 7.May.2020, 03:39 PM
Post #852

You can argue that all deaths outside China were preventable.

If airlines that are grounded now, stopped in January, then transmission beyond china would have been negligible.

Indeed only those flying around Asia would have to stop. Where as now even European short haul is grounded.

We know next time to ignore anything China or the WHO says about it only being a local epidemic and nothing to worry about.

Whilst you can argue Sweden's policy cost lives because they didn't fully lock down, at least they are not bankrupt and can afford to continue healthcare in the future.
+
Essingen55
post 7.May.2020, 03:52 PM
Post #853

If airlines that are grounded now, stopped in January, then transmission beyond china would have been negligible.

Exactly, the WHO's assertion that it wasn't necessary to stop flights out of China must surely be one of the great question marks over that organisation's performance.

However, it is now 100% clear that Sweden's overall approach is not working. It is perhaps unclear which bits aren't working but we are now grouped together with Poland, Romania, UK and Bulgaria as countries where the WHO thinks that the infection rate is not declining fast enough.
+
Gimp
post 7.May.2020, 03:56 PM
Post #854

+
Essingen55
post 7.May.2020, 04:04 PM
Post #855

Regardless, a good sign for the coming years that shows preparation and a level headed approach works.

Probably the most remarkable of any country in terms of deaths per million of population. It must be because they have been blocked from being a member of the WHO. laugh.gif
+

192 Pages V  « < 55 56 57 58 59 > » 
Closed Topic
13 User(s) are reading this topic (13 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: