The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Immigrants cleaning Swedish cities: report

The Local
post 2.Mar.2010, 10:37 AM
Post #1

Immigrants workers make up 41 percent of Sweden's cleaners despite accounting for only 16 percent of the workforce. In the cities the numbers are even higher, a new report shows.

In Stockholm, 80 percent of people working as office or hotel cleaners were born outside of Sweden, the new report from Statistics Sweden (SCB) for 2008 shows. In Gothenburg the equivalent figure was 59 percent and in Malmö 66 percent.

Foreign born staff account for 12 percent of all employees aged 16-64 in Sweden and make up 16 percent of the population.

102 words remaining. Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
*Guest*
post 2.Mar.2010, 11:27 AM
Post #2

it'd be very interesting to see another study cross-referencing the education and language skills that 41% of cleaners have, compared to their Swedish-born colleagues.
+
peropaco
post 2.Mar.2010, 11:37 AM
Post #3

Just come to show that Swedes reserve the skill jobs for themselve even if they can find more qualified non Swedes including with the language skills.
+
hpunlimited
post 2.Mar.2010, 11:40 AM
Post #4

It is good that there are jobs available where strong language skills are NOT required. The more of these jobs available, the better.
+
Tutu
post 2.Mar.2010, 11:46 AM
Post #5

cross referncing my ------------ This is pure discrimination. We have lived in english speaking countries before and u could get job with your own accent provided u speak proper and correct english. Accent is now being equated with language skills ub sweden. if one have to have a swedish accent to get a job then that is a delibrate obstacle being put in place . what do we do with people from skåne or småland that have strange accents.
+
[email protected]
post 2.Mar.2010, 11:49 AM
Post #6

@ gaborien
I can bet with you that 80-90% of the immigrant workers in this group (cleaners) have a minimum of bachelors degree. its the magic in Sweden
+
bolababu
post 2.Mar.2010, 12:03 PM
Post #7

forget these people, they are just hypocrites. everytime you call for a skilled job, they always come up with some strange obstacle. i went to a swedish college, got my qualifications, speak swedish and all. whenever i call for a job, they always ask for some paper they think you can't get, i have surprised them like seven times by coming up with whatever they ask for but there's always something new. my swedish classmates at sea school are all already working but as an immigrant, i am not even on the waiting list despite having a ten-year international experience. seems to me that Sweden envies the uk and us's ghetto population and are on a mission to create their's at all cost.
+
gookha
post 2.Mar.2010, 12:34 PM
Post #8

Advice for immigrants: Myself being an immigrant I advice all educated immigrants to look for jobs outside Sweden or leave this country for good. Of course the Swedes will be the happiest to hear this news...but its our lives and we have to find a better place to live...the question is for how long??? how long do we have to depend on odd jobs??? let these Vikings live alone...tsk tsk tsk...
+
here for the summer
post 2.Mar.2010, 12:55 PM
Post #9

this is the same in every country. If you track the history of New York. You can see each wave of immigration and see the positions the 1st assume vs where their kids eventually end up. So what is wrong with this. You come to a new country with a new language you get a job which is perhaps below your capability. Your kids get educated in the new language and culture and end up running for office. This is the world.
My friend from the US took 3 years of language school and many jobs including a security job below his skill level and eventually found a place he's happy and loves Sweden and Swedish culture as do I.
I am shocked everytime I read these posts from people who live in Sweden at Sweden's generosity and obviously dislike Sweden and Swedes. It is really poor form and manners. To go to someone's house even move in and then complain about it.
Do something to help. It is rough economic time all over the world and it is getting worse. High unemployment is here to stay in the west and we all need to work together to keep jobs to be productive to help each other.
+
square
post 2.Mar.2010, 01:09 PM
Post #10

I agree with (here for the summer) 100%. Some of the bloggers think every new immigrant is entitled to a VP position on arrival and then cry discrimination when it doesn't happen. Every country will look after it's own firt, and so they should. If Sweden is so bad you have a choice...
+
gookha
post 2.Mar.2010, 01:27 PM
Post #11

So do you mean its no use learning the language, no use studying and instead take it for granted that immigrants will clean and thats all?? Common we are not fools and we can judge what is right and what is wrong...noone is complaining about anything else...
+
square
post 2.Mar.2010, 01:36 PM
Post #12

No don't mean there is no use to trying but just stop thinking you are owed Utopia by Sweden. And yes you are complaining so go and find your better place to live as you are advising all other immigrants to do.
+
tigger007
post 2.Mar.2010, 02:04 PM
Post #13

@bolababu! i have heard about the things that you are talking about. it's a shame and some people or employers will do this to you.i have a friend just like you that jumped thru hoops and when it came to get his PHD nobody wants to accept him into there phd program.then he applied at manchester U in the uk and got accepted,when the phd sociality in sweden found out they were like what?! that N%%%¤GGER got accepted to a top PHD program in the UK! all of a suuden they want him trying to open doors for him and he's like no,i'm in a top program i don't need you and your BS
@here for the summer! you really have a good comment! it's an old saying where i come from'' GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN''. some people do complain about things and have not paid their dues,if you have NOT paid your dues then you can't complain! swedes do like to hire their own and will hire a less qualified swede then a highly qualified nonswede. they don't see this as being bad. another old saying''PROTECT US AND SERVE THE OTHER'' or in some people minds ''protect the swede and serve the nonswede. get this when a nonsweden does something wonderful(like solve a mathmatical promblem that's been around for 400yrs) then he or she is NOW a swede!!!
+
gookha
post 2.Mar.2010, 02:14 PM
Post #14

@square, for your kind information, I have already left Sweden. And yes noone is looking for a VP position. Just a descent job...something that is related to your field of studies...if that hurts you...can't help...
+
davo339
post 2.Mar.2010, 02:20 PM
Post #15

I seem to recall not too long ago someone in the government saying he is glad that immigrants clean poo... nice mentality. I myself have lucked out and have an IT consultant job. That is because the company i work for deals internationally so the base language is english and it sounds more 'professional' when you have someone speaking english as a native speaker.
+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: