The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Why don't Swedish practice "Lagom" with Christmas?

Early November and the lights are up!!

hoodrat
post 19.Nov.2014, 08:43 AM
Post #1

I have noticed that in late October Christmas lights started going up, fine I thought as they are just putting them up. But then first week of November and they are switched on, even my neighbours apartments are ablaze with tacky Christmas lights.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Christmas but this excessiveness spoils it in my mind, sometimes less is more. By the time we actually get to Christmas I feel it has been in my face too much and I just want it over with.

I thought the Swedish had "Logom" but perhaps not in this instance, who else thinks it is too much?
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 19.Nov.2014, 09:50 AM
Post #2

I think many folk starting putting lights in their windows when clocks change and the evenings feel darker. It's more of a lighting up the dark month of November before the snows finally arrive and brighten things up. Most probably don't have any other decorations up yet. Many will do it now before Lucia too, plus the round of Xmas markets should be kicking off shortly.
+
hoodrat
post 19.Nov.2014, 09:55 AM
Post #3

It's odd, because since they changed the clocks I have less daylight than if they had left it alone.

But I get what you are saying.
+
Laurelia
post 19.Nov.2014, 10:36 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (hoodrat @ 19.Nov.2014, 08:55 AM) *
It's odd, because since they changed the clocks I have less daylight than if they had left it alone. . But I get what you are saying.

But the clocks are just changing 'back' to the time it's meant to be. The actual change of time is in the summer - when the clocks are put forward an hour - so that there is more sunlight in the evening with the early sunrises.

The time in the winter isn't so relevant because whether or not the clocks went back/forward the daylight hours are still around the middle of the day rather than early morning or evening.
+
Hisingen
post 19.Nov.2014, 02:57 PM
Post #5

I shouldn't worry too much.
Very soon you will be able to buy your 'Fastlags Semlor' - the cream buns of lent. Followed soon after that with all the ads for the coming Midsummer.
The press was advertising the Christmas concerts back in June and July. Nothing like getting in early and making sure people know 'it' is going to happen.
But it is the same on TV. Sky have been running their usual spate of dime a dozen Christmas feel-good films for the past month, and all the ads are for Christmas fare or presents.
Everything has got its price, and Christmas is there with the rest of the 'Special Occasions'.

Ho Ho bloody Ho.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 19.Nov.2014, 04:11 PM
Post #6

"Deck the halls with "parts" of Molly!!!
+
Hisingen
post 19.Nov.2014, 05:49 PM
Post #7

Funny you should bring that one up. Those exact words have been going round in my head for days, thinking of the original version and just that one. laugh.gif
+
Opalnera
post 19.Nov.2014, 06:10 PM
Post #8

It's dark and there's no snow yet. We'll put ours up on the weekend probably. I do love to shit our neighbours by breaking traditions though.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 19.Nov.2014, 06:16 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 19.Nov.2014, 06:49 PM) *
Funny you should bring that one up. Those exact words have been going round in my head for days, thinking of the original version and just that one. laugh.gif

The old adage of "brilliant minds, etc.", seems apropos now... tongue.gif
+
Solith
post 19.Nov.2014, 06:52 PM
Post #10

They're winter lights, not Christmas lights! You'll see on the first of advent when the Christmas lights come on too, and then in late January the Christmas lights will go out and the ones on now will stay until March.

Swedes love a good sparkle... and who can blame them when it's so ****ing miserable in the dark?
+
intrepidfox
post 19.Nov.2014, 07:18 PM
Post #11

It's not just the Swedes, it,s everywhere. Why? Because shops want to make money. Wait until the end of January. The shops will start selling Easter eggs etc
+
skogsbo
post 20.Nov.2014, 08:07 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 19.Nov.2014, 07:18 PM) *
Because shops want to make money...The shops will start selling etc

that's shocking, shops that want to sell things, whatever next.
+
Hisingen
post 20.Nov.2014, 11:11 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 20.Nov.2014, 08:07 AM) *

People actually buying - - - - biggrin.gif
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Nov.2014, 02:18 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 20.Nov.2014, 08:07 AM) *

You changed my words to suite your comment
+
Rick Methven
post 20.Nov.2014, 02:47 PM
Post #15

Around here lights go on when the clocks go back and stay on until the clocks go forward again. Many people using 230v lights 24 hrs a day that cost a fortune to run. We put up the advents ljus and some outside lights that are all LED from dusk to midnight and from 05:00 to sunrise. They go up on the first Sunday in advent and come down on the 6th January. Some of the neighbours think we are killjoys but my Sm?l?nning wife just likes the money we save biggrin.gif
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: