The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Getting my fiancé to Sweden

A couple of questions

Kristina_tt
post 22.Oct.2018, 09:01 PM
Post #1

I am sorry if I am posting this again, I am new on this website and it shows that I haven't posted anything so I am trying ones again.
I am a student from Denmark (19 years old) and my fiancé is from India, I am planning on moving to Sweden next summer while studying in Copenhagen. My question is how long is the process until he will get the resident permit? He is maybe going to study in Latvia, would it be easier for him to apply from there and then come to Sweden instead of from India?
I've also read that he can come and stay with me for up to 3 months, when he comes here and stays with me for those 3 months can we apply for the resident permit? Can he stay for more than 3 months when the process is still going on or does he have to go back to India?

Thanks in advance :-)

/Kristina
Go to the top of the page
+
watergarden
post 23.Oct.2018, 07:41 AM
Post #2

Hey!

You can't apply for any type of residence permit while you're in Sweden, unless you already have a residence permit in Sweden.

Your fiance needs to apply for a residence permit from India or Latvia (if he has the right of residency there).
+
skogsbo
post 23.Oct.2018, 08:32 AM
Post #3

19 and engaged. By the time you've completed all the admin hurdles you'll both have moved on and/or be engaged to someone else.

Have a long distance relationship, live life, mature. Then settle in a decade or so.
+
Am89
post 23.Oct.2018, 09:32 AM
Post #4

I would like to ask just out of simple curiosity and apologize for spamming OP's post. Why many danish citizens come to live in Sweden and apply for residence permit here in Sweden for their foreign partners from Swedish Migration Agency rather than Denmark's Migration agency?
+
watergarden
post 23.Oct.2018, 09:39 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Am89 @ 23.Oct.2018, 10:32 AM) *
I would like to ask just out of simple curiosity and apologize for spamming OP's post. Why many danish citizens come to live in Sweden and apply for residence permit here ... (show full quote)

I believe Swedish immigration policies are much easier than Danish ones.
+
Case officer
post 23.Oct.2018, 11:11 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Am89 @ 23.Oct.2018, 10:32 AM) *
Why many danish citizens come to live in Sweden and apply for residence permit here in Sweden for their foreign partners from Swedish Migration Agency rather than Denmark's Migration agency?

Denmark has an age limit, you need to be 24 years old.
+
Svea.alan
post 29.Jan.2019, 07:54 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Kristina_tt @ 22.Oct.2018, 09:01 PM) *
I am sorry if I am posting this again, I am new on this website and it shows that I haven't posted anything so I am trying ones again. I am a student from Denmark (19 year ... (show full quote)

I believe you need to have a right of residence in Sweden in order to be able to invite your third country citizen spouse to visit you in Sweden on Schengen visa. Usually, the right of residence is issued to eu citizens after five years. Unless you use your right as a Nordic citizen then you are eligible for citizenship by application after two years residency in Sweden.

You can extend his Schengen visa for another three months, maximum six months in total, once his is here. He must launch an application from outside Sweden where he has residency status. He must leave Sweden before migrationsverket decide on his case, even if the decision is ready migrationsverket will not issue decision unless he leaves. That’s what happen with me anyway. After six months have passed when you submit the application for residency you can invoke förvaltningslag to force migrationsverket decide on your case within four weeks.

However, if he is already your supouse then you as an EU citizen have the right to bring your third country spouse to Sweden along with you when you move to Sweden. You can launch an application in Sweden and migrationsverket will issue him a residency permit much faster.

Good luck
+
Svedallas
post 9.Feb.2019, 03:29 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Am89 @ 23.Oct.2018, 09:32 AM) *
I would like to ask just out of simple curiosity and apologize for spamming OP's post. Why many danish citizens come to live in Sweden and apply for residence permit here ... (show full quote)

Denmark has very strict residence rules if a partner wants to move to Denmark. As it should be...

The migration want to see if it is genuine first, and it takes many years to be able to qualify for a permit based on a relationship. This is how they get rid of the garbage fake relationships that cost tax payers.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: