The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Swedish to English Qualifications

Ram70
post 11.Sep.2006, 11:52 AM
Post #1

hi there,

Does anyone have any idea regarding the relationship between the Swedish and English education system?

I've been told I need to complete certain subjects (Matematik C, Fysik B, Kemi B, Biologi cool.gif before undertaking a vocational degree here in Sweden.
I'd prefer to take them in English, perhaps the Open University, as I'm sure if I attempted them in Swedish I'd be doomed to failure, but have had no luck finding out to what an equivilent English grade woud be.

I've sent repeated emails to varying organisations (universities, folkuniveritetet, högskolverket) but no-one seems able to help, most not even bothering to reply.

The only information I've found (from arbetsförmedlingen, helpful as ever) relates to the transferral of existing qualifications. I'm in the process of following this, but as I left school at 16 I suspect my GCSE's will fall short of what I require.

Any comment, no matter how trivial, or any info about the Swedish system would be helpful. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 11.Sep.2006, 12:32 PM
Post #2

You need to appraoch VHS - they evaluate foreign GCSE/A level exams. I don't think that you can do A level grade qualifications at the OU. Although I think you might be able to do the international O and A levels that are exam only. Or you might be able to take them in Swedish at komvux According to the databas for UK qualifications:

Matematik C = GCSE grade A-C
Fysik B = A level physics - full A2
Kemi B = AS level or Level Chemistry
Biologi B AS level or A level Biology

http://www.vhs.se/upload/antagning/Utland/06%20GCE.pdf

http://www.vhs.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=1011
http://www.vhs.se/upload/antagning/Utland/...ngsblankett.pdf

In order to study for a degree course at University you also need gymnasiet svenska B/TISUS which is the basic requirement for all degree courses - you can either get this by:
SFI/TISUS
or
SFI/GRUV/ Gymnasiet svenska A & B
(If you have to learn the Swedish anyway you could take the science modules in Swedish as they will give you vocab that you will need for the degree)

Hope this helps
+
Ram70
post 11.Sep.2006, 04:03 PM
Post #3

Yes, that was extremely helpful. Thanks very much. smile.gif
+
Puffin
post 11.Sep.2006, 05:50 PM
Post #4

Hope this works out.

Make sure that you send GCSE/A levels to Verket för Högskoleservice as they evaluate and translate all school qualifications whereas Högskolverket ( a different agency) does university ones.

One idiot "student guidence counsellor" told me that Högskolverket would evaluate all of my qualifications - therefore it delayed me by 6 months as Högskolverket did not mention that I had sent my O/A levels to them in error - instead they kept them för over 6 months and then sent them back - I then had to start the process over at VHS! Therefore it took over a year to get my qualifications evaluated.

There are 2 other options that you could consider:

1. you can study a special 1 year pre degree programme a most universities called the science base year that will give you the courses you need: for example most Unis have them and many offer guarenteed places on their science degrees http://www.hlk.hj.se/doc/302

2. Or there is a Swedish distnce learning college where you could do most of this courses as distance learning: CFL (Nationellt centrum för flexibelt lärande)
http://utbildning.cfl.se/?sid=115&pid=...13&gppid=96
+
Ram70
post 12.Sep.2006, 08:07 AM
Post #5

That's great, thanks - Arbetsförmedlingen has indeed directed me to Högskolverket with my GCES's, so I'm very glad you mentioned that.

Thanks also for the links, especially no.1, a foundation program sounds prefferable to the A level equivalent at Komvux.

I'm beginning to see why it's so hard find the info I need - the English versions of the websites are very sparse compared to the original Swedish version, and asking at the jobcentre or a specific institution is like trying to get blood out of a stone!

Thanks again!!
+
Puffin
post 12.Sep.2006, 11:22 AM
Post #6

Arbetsförmedling seem to have very little knowledge about higher education.

A good step is to get your qualifications examined and perhaps get a meeting with a student guidence counsellor at the Uni you are interested in. The base year has become more popular as many Komvux's do not have the equipment necessary to over the pure sciences - however you may need to have some A level courses to get in based on grades.

I don't know how old you are or whether you have worked in Sweden but no all University course places are based on study results - there are 2 other methods - usually betwee 20-40% of places are reseved for these routes:

1. Högskolprovet - a national University entrance exam held twice a year - a pretty tough exam - but it is multiple choice and one section is in English. There are 5 section
Reading comprehension
Mathematics
English
Word knowledge
Interpretation of graphs and statistics

You get a grade between 0.1 and 2.0

2. The 25:4 rule - mature student withou A levels
This is for mature students who do not have a final A level result. You must be over 25 and have worked at least 50% for 4 years or more - each year gove a fraction of a point up to max 0.5. The best bet is to do the university entrace exam as well as the points are added together.

With both of these option you will still have to meet any special requirements - such as the sciences in your case - plus there are 2 general requirements:
Gymnasiet Svenska B/TISUS
Engelska A - a GCSE in English grade A-C will give you Engelska B therefore easily meeting this demand

If you have a course where there is not high demand you might be able to get in just with the 25:4 rule. For the most popular courses this is not possible
+
Ram70
post 12.Sep.2006, 12:34 PM
Post #7

mmm, very interesting.

I am in fact over 25 but have only worked here for just over 1 year, although I'm unemployed now, so I guess I don't qualify for the 25:4 rule.

I think my next step is to talk to Kalmar Uni, which has the degree in Optometry I'm interested in, and ask them about Högskolprovet or any foundation courses.

I was finally offered a place on SFI 3d3 yesterday after 5 months of trying, so that'll help me one the way towards the B/TISUS.

As for the rest, I have GCSE's in Physics (A), Electronics (A), English (cool.gif, Maths (cool.gif, plus a few others at grade C, so it'll be interesting to see how they transfer and what I'll have left to do to catch up.
+
Puffin
post 12.Sep.2006, 03:31 PM
Post #8

I think that you are going to have to take some A or AS levels if you want to count them as a Swedish Gymnasiet level education. Or you could take the test.

With the 25:4 rule you can count any work done abroad if you can get your former employers to give you a letter stating your employment dates and whether you were full time or part time (and the % or hours for part time)

From what you've written:
GCSE English = Svenska B
GCSE maths = Matematik C
The sciences - has to be an A level
Don't know about electronics
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: