The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

US to Sweden

Relocation Feedback

comingtoyou
post 8.Mar.2017, 05:58 AM
Post #1

Hi all,

I am planning a move to Sweden in September 2017. I am looking for feedback on feasibility, culture, jobs etc.

I am a single, black, gay man from Chicago, IL and Michiganm US. I have a Masters in Economics and a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) in Predictive Analytics from DePaul University and my undergrad degree from Michigan State University. My professional background was in NGO senior management. I will be looking for jobs primarily in data analytics and/or business analytics and secondarily in NGO management. My goal is to have 20K USD in reserves to support the move. I don't speak Swedish now, but am doing courses, will hopefully have a basic conversational level before arriving.

My questions:
1. What is the feasibility of getting a job in these sectors?
2. What is the job market like? How long has the average job search been?
3. I have read many posts that mention networking as key to finding a job, are there boards that you would recommend?
4. Would 20K USD support 6 months of living while looking for a job?
5. Any feedback on laying groundwork before the move? adjusting?
Go to the top of the page
+
yet another brit
post 8.Mar.2017, 08:41 AM
Post #2

Well, there is a pretty strong financial/IT sector, so business analytics probably isn't impossible. The market is much smaller of course, you need to imagine you're limited to just one mid-sized but wealthy and reasonably high-tech US state in comparison. Albeit one that runs a foreign development program and has some NGOs :-)

You'll find that you'll get some kind of positive discrimination for being from the US - as long as it is clear to all that you aren't a Trump Republican! Unfortunately, you may find some real (if unstated & understated) negative discrimination for being black. No-one will care about your sexuality.

Your absolute best route is to find a job BEFORE you move, can't emphasise this enough. Indeed, as a US citizen, you have to have a work permit that you apply for from abroad after you have an offer. So you could come here as a tourist and look for a job, but you might have to then leave again to wait for the work permit.

20k USD will keep you going for 6 months, but if you are unlucky and have to spend 1.5k+ a month on rent for an illegal sublet...
+
Bsmith
post 8.Mar.2017, 06:25 PM
Post #3

Also, it may very well take more than 6 months to find work. It is not the same as the US.

Pray tell, may I ask why Sweden? Have you visited before?
+
comingtoyou
post 11.Mar.2017, 07:03 AM
Post #4

My interest in Sweden is due to an overdue dream and cultural factors.

As for the time I've spent there, I have done an extended layover in Stockholm en route to Paris on vacation, but not weeks worth of travel. As for my reasoning, in high school, I was supposed to spend a year in Sweden as an exchange student. Due to issues at the time, I was unable to do it and it has been in the back of mind ever since. Right now, I am at a point that I am able to completely change my life, and want to realize something that I have wanted for years. More broadly, in looking at potential European countries, when you factor in things such as culture, safety, job market, and language that narrowed it down to a few countries. When coupled with countries that I have been "fascinated" with, that gave me Sweden.
+
Bsmith
post 11.Mar.2017, 02:45 PM
Post #5

I understand that sometimes you've got to follow your heart. However, you may wish to do some visits first (summer as well as winter) before you make too big of a leap. And, if you do decide to take the plunge, I always recommend a back-up plan in case it doesn't turn out the way you envisioned.

I, for example, was able to put my teaching job on a leave of absence and when I found out how tough it was to find a good paying job in Sweden and how hard it was to be so far from family, I was able to move back to the US and resume my career. Now I am retired and have a pension. While I certainly treasure the time me and my family were able to enjoy in Sweden, I am even more glad that I had a back-up plan in place and was able to return home.

Good luck with your journey.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: