The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Bringing in a car from Non-EU country

Switzerland to Sweden by road

Jamie_39
post 5.Apr.2017, 09:35 AM
Post #1

Hi everyone, as the title suggests, I am interested in finding out if any of you have any experience of bringing a car into Sweden via Malmö (probably) from a country outside of the EU/EEA?

I will be moving to Ostersund this summer to start a 2 year master's degree there, and will be moving most of my belongings with a removal company, and I was planning to drive up there to meet them on arrival, importing my car along the way.

I'm coming from Switzerland, which handily is outside of the EU/EEA area in terms of importation, so from what I read, on arriving in Sweden I can take out temporary registration, and then I can drive the shortest route to the nearest test-centre - will I be allowed to drive up to Ostersund to do it there, or should I try and book a test in Malmö in advance? I'm pretty confident my car should be ok on the testing front - it passed the Swiss tests a few months ago, which are fairly stringent, and I'm fully equipped with winter tyres etc. already.

I've tried the chat with Transportstyrelsen, but they never seem available, so before calling them, I'd thought I'd ask here first! If anyone has any first-hand tips or advice, I'd really appreciate it!
Go to the top of the page
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: