The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Any help about my residence permit here?

How long should I wait?

Ben5
post 16.Mar.2012, 11:19 AM
Post #1

I came here to live with my Sambo, but because of my passport expiry date I have been granted 20 months residence permit in Sweden, and when I apply to renew it, they gave me another 20 months (They called temporary as I hadn't been in Sweden for 2 years yet).

Now I have been here for more than 2 years, and the immigration board on their website say that you have the right of getting permanent one after living for 2 years with a Swedish citizen.

My question is, should I use the same application form to apply now for a permanent permit? and as I read on their website about the waiting time will start from the date your residence expires, does that mean they will not look at my application until next year (then I will be here for more than 3 years)??

I appreciate any information as I called the board many times and I waited too long and I get useless information.

Thanks everyone.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 16.Mar.2012, 12:46 PM
Post #2

You will use the same form. There is no separate form for PUT although there is, or was, a box to check for PUT. You must wait I believe one month before your current visa expires to apply. Best wishes.
+
Ben5
post 16.Mar.2012, 12:54 PM
Post #3

Thanks alot, but if I wait for my current one to expire I will be in Sweden for 3,5 years and then I believe I have the right to apply for a Swedish citizenship, so still there any need for PUT then?
+
Miss Kitten
post 16.Mar.2012, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Unless the rules have changed, I believe you apply for an extention of your permit and then they give you whatever they feel is appropriate. I got my PUT after my initial one-year UT was extended to a two-year UT. If you got an two-year UT already then they will probably give you a PUT, but you should tell them that's what you want. They don't always make that assumption.

As for the citizenship question, one of the requirements for applying for citizenship is having a PUT. So you have to get one, regardless.
+
johnjohn
post 16.Mar.2012, 01:12 PM
Post #5

Miss kitten is quite right. A PUT is one of the requirements so on the surface it looks like you must wait for both PUT and citizenship..
+
Ben5
post 16.Mar.2012, 08:01 PM
Post #6

Thanks Miss kitten and John, and actually I got a hold of a case officer today on the phone, but instead of comforting me, she made me more confused. I think I am going to apply now, and note that I want a PUT, as in this country you never guarantee any relationship, and if I break up with my sambo, I lose the recidence I think, and this is a thing I can not affored now biggrin.gif
+
johnjohn
post 16.Mar.2012, 08:36 PM
Post #7

It is worth a try but just remember that it is highly unlikely they will even look at it. Unless it is due for renewal, within one month they simply ignore it. They have no reason whatsoever to process an application months or a year or more before needed. They have much other work to do. So many people have the same or similar concerns but the rules in there eyes are quite clear. Your concern about the possible break up of your relationship is very different than theirs. If you break up you will lose your UT and in their eyes a good thing not to have to evaluate Swedish citizenship. Good luck and keep us informed..
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: